i7-4790K with a H81 Board?

I'm wondering if it will work, I'm ordering from amazon. This is just going to be a temporary motherboard and I also wanted to know if I wouldn't need to do a BIOS update because this is my first ever pc that is custom made so I don't have old CPU's that I can do the update with. The Board - Asus H81M-E

You will need a BIOS update for it to work, so don't do that.  You won't be able to update the BIOS unless you already own a Haswell CPU, which you don't. 

I recommend waiting until you can afford that Z97 motherboard you are looking at.  Z97 motherboards shouldn't cost you more than $120, and that is a pretty loaded with features one.

Which Z97 motherboard were you considering?  Do you live near a Microcenter?

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

I'm not familiar with what BIOS there is but it will 100% work? Like no update needed just put in and play>

No, it is not plug in and play.  You would have to update the BIOS to that version, which you have no way of doing.  Wait until you can get a Z97 motherboard.

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

You will need a BIOS update for it to work, so don't do that. You won't be able to update the BIOS unless you already own a Haswell CPU, which you don't.

I recommend waiting until you can afford that Z97 motherboard you are looking at. Z97 motherboards shouldn't cost you more than $120, and that is a pretty loaded with features one.

Which Z97 motherboard were you considering? Do you live near a Microcenter?

Wasn't considering any I don't have the money currently so I wanted to get a cheap motherboard then later on get a better one

No, it is not plug in and play. You would have to update the BIOS to that version, which you have no way of doing. Wait until you can get a Z97 motherboard.

Most people say that it will work

After a BIOS update?  That does you no good if you have no way of updating the BIOS.  You need a Haswell, non-devil's canyon processor to even update the BIOS. 

Unless you can get a guarantee that it ships with a compatible BIOS version, I would stay away.

are you not reading what he is saying.

4690K // 212 EVO // Z97-PRO // Vengeance 16GB // GTX 770 GTX 970 // MX100 128GB // Toshiba 1TB // Air 540 // HX650

Logitech G502 RGB // Corsair K65 RGB (MX Red)

If it has bios 2001 or newer, it will work no problem, if it doesn't, it won't work at all. Your choice if you want to take the risk or not.

After a BIOS update? That does you no good if you have no way of updating the BIOS. You need a Haswell, non-devil's canyon processor to even update the BIOS.

Unless you can get a guarantee that it ships with a compatible BIOS version, I would stay away.

I mean Devils canyon have been out for almost a year I would think they come with the new BIOS updated

If it has bios 2001 or newer, it will work no problem, if it doesn't, it won't work at all. Your choice if you want to take the risk or not.

It should work I think devils canyon have been out for a while

Most likely it will, but you never know how long the board you get has been sitting on a shelf, I guess you could rma if it doesn't work.

the mobo has been out longer and could have been sitting on a shelf for 19 months

with a very old UEFI (if older than 0808, it'll need an OS to properly update the UEFI

for newer updates). the gambles of old stock electronic parts.

I mean Devils canyon have been out for almost a year I would think they come with the new BIOS updated

That motherboard has been out for awhile though, and exactly as airdeano said, if it has been sitting in a warehouse for a long time, it has an old BIOS.  It is not worth the risk.  Unless you can get a guarantee from Amazon that it has a compatible BIOS version, stay away.

Why not go the other route. Get a z97 board and a Pentium G3258 and wait till you can upgrade the CPU. You can get the Pentium cheap and it is overclockable. (For a 2 core CPU it's a little beast)

Main Rig CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 5700x GPU: Asus TUF Gaming RX5700XT MBASUS AM4 TUF Gaming X570-Plus RAM: 64GB Corsair Dominator Platinum 3200 CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Master Liquid LC240E SSD: Crucial 250gb M.2 + Crucial 500gb SSD HDD: PSU: Thermaltake Toughpower Gran RGB 850W 80+ Gold Case: Corsair Carbide 275R KB: Glorious GMMK 85% MOUSE: Razer Naga Trinity HEADSET: Go XLR with Shure SM7B mic and beyerdynamic DT 990

unRAID Plex Server CPU: Intel i7 6700 GPU: Nvidia Quadro P2000 MB: Asus B150M-C RAM: Crucial Ballistix 32gb DDR4 3000MT/s CPU Cooler: Stock Intel SSD: Western Digital 500GB Red HDD: 4TB Seagate Baracude 3x 4TB Seagate Ironwolf PSU: EVGA BT 80+ Bronze 450W Case: Cooler Master HAF XB EVO KB: Cheap Logitech KB + Mouse combo

the mobo has been out longer and could have been sitting on a shelf for 19 months

with a very old UEFI (if older than 0808, it'll need an OS to properly update the UEFI

for newer updates). the gambles of old stock electronic parts.

I kept seeing the motherboard kept going out of stock on amazon then recently came up

Why not go the other route. Get a z97 board and a Pentium G3258 and wait till you can upgrade the CPU. You can get the Pentium cheap and it is overclockable. (For a 2 core CPU it's a little beast)

I need a good CPU for the games I play DayZ, Arma 3

I need a good CPU for the games I play DayZ, Arma 3

Buy an i5, not an i7.  It should end up being the same price. 

i5-4690k + Z97 motherboard should cost ~$300, same price as an i7.

Gaming performance between an i5 and i7 is practically identical when they are at the same speed.  Especially in those games you mentioned. 

PCPartPicker part list: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/skDxRB

Price breakdown by merchant: http://pcpartpicker.com/p/skDxRB/by_merchant/

CPU: Intel Core i5-4690K 3.5GHz Quad-Core Processor  ($219.75 @ OutletPC)

CPU Cooler: Cooler Master Hyper 212 EVO 82.9 CFM Sleeve Bearing CPU Cooler  ($28.98 @ OutletPC)

Motherboard: ASRock Z97 Anniversary ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($79.99 @ Micro Center)

Total: $328.72

Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available

Generated by PCPartPicker 2015-03-04 00:29 EST-0500

This will perform just as good as an i7 in those games.  Even better if you overclock it to a decent amount, which is very easy to do with the components I have selected above.

Do you live near a Microcenter?

there is no assurance the UEFI is up-to-date.

dunna know why you are fighting the urge to reconsider another alternative that

will work.

Here's something I faced when building my 4790k machine.

I first had a Gigabyte Z97x Gaming G1 wifi black, now this was a top of the line Z97 board, bought 3 weeks after the 4790k came out and it needed a BIOS update, it was pumping 1.365 volts by default.

Now this is a board designed for the devils canyon CPU's and it still needed a bios update out of the box.

What you're getting wasn't technically designed for proper use of a Devils Canyon K processor.

Listen to what the other guys has said, the i5-4690k + Z97 would be perfect for gaming and set you back the same price a 4790K cpu would cost.