SSD moving to new system

jclappers

How hard is it to transfer my SSD from my current system which im selling, to my new system

obviously i will have to uninstall the drivers and install the new drivers

but what else will i have to do if anything

if it helps it is a samsung 840 240GB

As long as it comes with software to transfer everything over, it'll be easy.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

If you arent trasfering the OS to another drive, you should just be able to install the new drivers and go at it from there. It should be painless. 

drivers for an SSD, you are using windows XP??

It will be painless, just put the SSD into a new case, connect it and that's it - if it has no OS. 

I would recommend a complete reinstall. Windows does a lot of special configuration when it detects that it is being installed on an SSD, and I don't think cloning software does any of those things (except maybe enable TRIM). Things like sector alignment might not be optimal of you transfer from an HDD to an SSD.

I would recommend a complete reinstall. Windows does a lot of special configuration when it detects that it is being installed on an SSD, and I don't think cloning software does any of those things (except maybe enable TRIM). Things like sector alignment might not be optimal of you transfer from an HDD to an SSD.

Windows 7 detected my OS as being an SSD and I used software to transfer everything over.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Windows 7 detected my OS as being an SSD and I used software to transfer everything over.

Are you sure about that? It changes quite a few things such as the way things are cached, align the sectors, disables automatic defragging, enables TRIM and a few other things.

If you're moving your SSD between motherboards, then I urge you to freshly install. Especially if you are changing platforms. A lot of drivers (like chipset/cpu drivers) will be hard to uninstall/reinstall.

Fresh install is always best and, if you were smart in setting up your data storage, can be quite painless