What actually degrades/shortens a CPU life.

Go to solution Solved by nishank93,

Heat damages silicon is a common misconception. It is voltage and voltage alone that does it (not voltage causes heat and heat degrades silicon).

EDIT: If you're interested, watch

and then read the following. So, as you might now know (after watching the video), electrons in one end of the doped silicon (source) aren't supposed to be able to reach the other end (drain) under 'off' conditions. Under positive voltage (which is your CPU voltage), electrons accumulate under the silicon dioxide (gate) and the switch is closed (turned on). Now, due to the nature of quantum mechanics, electrons are able to exhibit a feature called 'quantum tunnelling', i.e., move through a barrier in a non-Newtonian fashion (if your hand could quantum tunnel, it could pass through a door). What CPU manufacturers do is dope the silicon in such a way that the energy barrier required for an electron to tunnel from the source to the drain is HUGE, so under normal circumstances, the electron stays where it is supposed to. An excessive voltage gives electrons more energy, therefore they have a higher probability to overcome the energy barrier, causing the switch to close (turn on) when it is supposed to stay open (turned off). Over time, a sort of path is formed making it easier for electrons to tunnel through (silicon degradation), ultimately leading to CPU failure.

Is it the voltage going to the CPU or is it the heat shortening the life?

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Mainly voltage. You can keep a chip as cool as you want but if your smashing volts through electromigration will happen.

Heat damages silicon is a common misconception. It is voltage and voltage alone that does it (not voltage causes heat and heat degrades silicon).

and then read the following. So, as you might now know (after watching the video), electrons in one end of the doped silicon (source) aren't supposed to be able to reach the other end (drain) under 'off' conditions. Under positive voltage (which is your CPU voltage), electrons accumulate under the silicon dioxide (gate) and the switch is closed (turned on). Now, due to the nature of quantum mechanics, electrons are able to exhibit a feature called 'quantum tunnelling', i.e., move through a barrier in a non-Newtonian fashion (if your hand could quantum tunnel, it could pass through a door). What CPU manufacturers do is dope the silicon in such a way that the energy barrier required for an electron to tunnel from the source to the drain is HUGE, so under normal circumstances, the electron stays where it is supposed to. An excessive voltage gives electrons more energy, therefore they have a higher probability to overcome the energy barrier, causing the switch to close (turn on) when it is supposed to stay open (turned off). Over time, a sort of path is formed making it easier for electrons to tunnel through (silicon degradation), ultimately leading to CPU failure.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

so is 55degrees celcius fine for 24/7? and i wont have to worry about cpu lifespan shortening everyday? (1.32volts)

| CPU: INTEL i5 6600k @ 4.6Ghz @ 1.328v | Motherboard: ASUS Z170-AR | Ram: G.SKILL 2x8GB 2400Mhz | CPU Cooler : Corsair H100i V2

| GPU: GIGABYTE GTX980Ti G1 GAMING | SSD: SAMSUNG 840 EVO 250GB  Storage: WD 1TB GREEN | OS: Windows 10 Pro 64bit | PSU: FSP 650W AURUM S |

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

Too much voltage kills your CPU because you degrade your chip's architecture.

Voltage is the electric potential difference between two points, and that means, work needed to transfer the electric charge from place A to place B, and if you overdo that molecular structure in the chip changes.

There is no way to get around this, so every electrical component will die after a period of time needed for the molecular architecture to degrade.

That means at stock your CPU might live even 30 years, but as soon as you start uping the voltage, you start to shorten the lifespan of your CPU, this is the same for the GPU as well.

So number one CPU killer is "high" voltage or hitting it with a hammer XD

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Excellent answer. You learn something new every day.

so is 55degrees celcius fine for 24/7?

Yes it is, up to 62°C is AMD recommended temperature ( if you do not overdo voltages of course ), throttling starts at 68°C, and your chip would shut down at 75 °C if i am correct

System

CPU: i7 4770kMotherboard: Asus Maximus VI HeroRAM: HyperX KHX318C9SRK4/32 - 32GB DDR3-1866 CL9 / GPU: Gainward Geforce GTX 670 Phantom Case: Cooler Master HAF XBStorage: 1 TB WD BluePSU: Cooler Master V-650sDisplay(s): Dell U2312HM, LG194WT, LG E1941

Cooling: Noctua NH-D15Keyboard: Logitech G710+Mouse: Logitech G502 Proteus SpectrumSound: Focusrite 2i4 - USB DAC / OS: Windows 7 (still holding on XD)

Excellent answer. You learn something new every day.

Thank you :) I try.

Desktop: Intel Core i7-5820K, Corsair H115i, Asus X99-Deluxe/USB 3.1, G.Skill Ripjaws4 32GB 2800MHz CL16, Zotac RTX 3070, Samsung 950 Pro 512GB in Angelbird Wings PX1, Samsung 850 EVO 1TB, 5*Seagate 12TB, Cooler Master V1200, Phanteks Enthoo Luxe, Windows 10 Pro. Phillips 328P6VUBREB, Corsair Vengeance K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown, Logitech G502 X Plus, Sennheiser HD700.

AYANEO 2S: AMD 7800U, 32GB 7500MHz, 2TB WD SN850X. Windows 11.

Yes it is, up to 62°C is AMD recommended temperature ( if you do not overdo voltages of course ), throttling starts at 68°C, and your chip would shut down at 75 °C if i am correct

70 degrees max temp, i think it throttles around 65-70degrees. But im not sure about shutdown temp.

<<<<< BLK-Phant0m >>>>>

running it over with a car would degrade it.
I'm having one of those nights. lol

basically overvolting or bad cooling.

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

running it over with a car would degrade it.

I'm having one of those nights. lol

basically overvolting or bad cooling.

What kind of car? I dont think a Prius would do much of anything.

What kind of car? I dont think a Prius would do much of anything.

might undervolt it a lil. 

Rig 1 CPU: 3570K Motherboard: V Gene GPU: Power Color r9 280x at 1.35GHZ  RAM: 16 GB 1600mhz PSU: Cougar CMX 700W Storage: 1x Plexor M5S 256GB 1x 1TB HDD 1x 3TB GREEN HDD Case: Coolermaster HAFXB Cooling: Intel Watercooler
"My day so far, I've fixed 4 computers and caught a dog. Australian Tech Industry is weird."

"It's bent so far to the right, It's a hook."

might undervolt it a lil. 

You would get better milage that way. Less power usage and its not like you are going to be going faster than the speed limit.