Nvidia 980 will only run at PCIe 2.0 x8

sey151

I just got a Nvidia 980. And for some reason, in bios and GPUZ, the card is reporting to be running at PCIe 2.0 x8. Under no load it is running at PCIe 1.1 x8 and scales up to 2.0 x8.

Hardware:

Processor: i7 3930k (OC'ed 4.4ghz)

Mobo: Asus Rampage IV Formula

Videocard: Evga GTX 980 SC ACX 2.0

Ram: Mushkin DDR3 2133 (4x4g)

PSU: Corsair AX1200i

I know 3930k with a nvidia does not have native 3.0 support. But why is it not even running at 2.0 x16

I have check the PSU connectors, different PCIe slots, new drivers, new bios update......formated with a fresh windows install.

Someone help me before i got nuts please.

post-168928-0-70559600-1418493134.jpg

Make sure PCI 3.0 is enabled in your BIOS. 

CPU: Intel I7 4790K 4.8 Ghz || Mobo: ASUS ROG Maximus Hero 6 Z87 || Ram: Corsair Vengeance 16 GB 1600 Mhz || GPU: ASUS GTX 980 Ti STRIX || Storage: 2 x SSD Samsung 840 EVO 250 GB RAID 0 HDD Western Digital 1 TB Black || PSU: Corsair AX 860 watt || Cooling: 2 x AF 140mm (front), 2 AF120 Blue LED (bottom and back), 2 SP120 (top on radiator) ||  CPU cooler: Corsair H100i GTX || Case: Corsair obsidian 750D <3 <3 <3 

There is no BIOS option for 3.0 (that i can see). The 3930k with nvidia does not support it. I can download the 'hack' and get 3.0. But then its still 3.0 x8. How do i get it to run at 2.0/3.0 x16?

I have ran the render test. And it still sits at x8.

It is slot 1, top slot.  The mobo i have has dipswitches to enable 16x on select slots. I have the proper dipswitch selected. Nothing. As you can see i have tried so much and no luck.

mine are also running in pcie 2.0 for some reason 

CPU- i7 5960x MOTHERBOARD- Asus Rampage V extreme RAM- 32gb Corsair Dominator Platinum ddr4 2800mhz GPU-  2X EVGA GTX 980 SC in SLI PSU- Corsair ax860 CASE- Corsair Obsidian 750d COOLING- EK cpu+dual gpu custom loop (ek supremacy evo, dual gtx 980 copper/acetal waterblocks) MOUSE- Logitech g502 proteus core KEYBOARD- Ducky shine 3 cherry mx blue switches and blue LED MONITOR- Samsung u28d590d UHD  STORAGE -  120 gb samsung 850 evo ssd, 960 gb ocz trion ssd OS- Windows 10 pro http://pcpartpicker.com/p/jtP8GX

Well i found the problem. A few of the pins in the PCIe slot are not properly returning to the rest position. So the system was thinking i only had a x8 slot/card.

I am unable to fix it. Tried to clean it with air and brush. Tried to use a small pick to see if they where stuck. No go.

Anyone got any experience with an RMA to ASUS?

Well i found the problem. A few of the pins in the PCIe slot are not properly returning to the rest position. So the system was thinking i only had a x8 slot/card.

I am unable to fix it. Tried to clean it with air and brush. Tried to use a small pick to see if they where stuck. No go.

RMA's to ASUS are pretty terrible. Good luck with that. Have you tried updating the Bios first? 

the pins are like this on all of the pci-e slots?

some of the pci-e slots may be only 8x capable as well.

R9 3900XT | Tomahawk B550 | Ventus OC RTX 3090 | Photon 1050W | 32GB DDR4 | TUF GT501 Case | Vizio 4K 50'' HDR

I am running the newest BIOS. I know the slot is x16, it is labeled as so right next to it. Asus Rampage IV Formula slot 1 (top slot). I also have XMP enabled.

I take the card out of that slot (slot 1) and put it in to slot 3 (the other x16 slow). Then turn of the 1st slot and turn on the 3rd one using the dipswitches. It then is reporting to run at x16 in BIOS and GPUZ.

I have tried two different videocards which i know are both x16 and neither run at x16 in that slot.

post-168928-0-11065900-1418544392_thumb.

post-168928-0-02024100-1418544393_thumb.

post-168928-0-02777500-1418544394_thumb.

Make sure PCI 3.0 is enabled in your BIOS. 

SBE does not natively support PCIe 3.0.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch

Ok unless you are planning on running in SLI why dont you switch up to a different slot?

That is what i am doing as you can see. And i don't plan i running SLI anytime soon if at all. But i have OCD up the ass from the marine corps. and i do not like knowing that something is broken and not perfect. LOL

Look everywhere in the bios for something about the pcie interface. Also check the DMI settings in bios too

Hmm I was just curious if mine is running at 3.0, can't seem to find any information in the bios -.-

Current PC build: [CPU: Intel i7 8700k] [GPU: GTX 1070 Asus ROG Strix] [Ram: Corsair LPX 32GB 3000MHz] [Mobo: Asus Prime Z370-A] [SSD: Samsung 970 EVO 500GB primary + Samsung 860 Evo 1TB secondary] [PSU: EVGA SuperNova G2 750w 80plus] [Monitors: Dual Dell Ultrasharp U2718Qs, 4k IPS] [Case: Fractal Design R5]

Well, same here... I've previously had a GTX 690 and a R9 290 and both of them ran at PCIe 3.0 x16 with my 3930k. I just checked my GTX 980 and it's running at PCIe 2.0 x16 under load. I tried the nVidia force PCIe 3.0 executable and it didn't have any effect. I guess we're stuck with it... It's annoying, but shouldn't effect gaming that much. TechPowerUp recently did an article on Geforce GTX 980 PCI-Express Scaling. They show benchmarks for several modern games running at different PCIe bandwidths.

http://www.techpowerup.com/reviews/NVIDIA/GTX_980_PCI-Express_Scaling/1.html

Slightly off topic but 1.392V @ 4.4GHz? Is that reading wrong?

It says 4.2GHz in CPU-Z.

"It pays to keep an open mind, but not so open your brain falls out." - Carl Sagan.

"I can explain it to you, but I can't understand it for you" - Edward I. Koch