Waterblock Restriction Plates

Ghost

I have an EK water block that comes with 3 restriction plates for the water flow (,and a blank one).

I have always used the medium plate.

What does the plate change?

I sort of know but it would be interesting to hear what people have to say and also as an FAQ for people. It might also be an interesting discussion.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

my experience with them is that they are plates independently designed for different CPU's to direct the flow of the water to the hottest part of the cpu, independent of the architecture. I have yet to find out how much of a difference using the correct plate actually makes but i have always heard these referred to as jet plates? am i wrong in assuming that these are the same thing?

my experience with them is that they are plates independently designed for different CPU's to direct the flow of the water to the hottest part of the cpu, independent of the architecture. I have yet to find out how much of a difference using the correct plate actually makes but i have always heard these referred to as jet plates? am i wrong in assuming that these are the same thing?
Yeah its just a different name. Ironically EK seem to call them jet plates.

Feel free to PM for any water-cooling questions. Check out my profile for more ways to contact me.

Add me to your circles on Google+ here or you can follow me on twitter @deadfire19.

That's not ironic, increasing the restriction increases the fluid speed, so it is creating a jet of water, in a way.

No, I mean't ironic as that was the example of them I used in my OP. :)

It seems mayhems calls them restriction plates and that was where I last read about them. So thats what I called them.

Anyways restriction makes more sense to me.

using the jet plates increases the fluid velocity and causes it to pass through that is referred to in fluid dynamics as an orifice. the high velocity and trailing edge of the orifice cause the flow to become highly turbulent (swirly). this leads to better mixing, reduced boundary layer thickness, and consequentially, better thermal conductivity.