Purpose of an HTPC

VIhul

I guess I've never really understood what the draw of an HTPC is and who it's for, and despite my research I still haven't found an answer. I was hoping someone here could show me why it's worth the time/money to have one. (Other than having an excuse to build a PC *wink)

I use mine as a Netflix machine rather than using an xbox. 

I use mine to stream movies and tv shows using XBMC from my custom nas.

System: 5930K, MSI X99 SLI PLUS, GTX 780Ti (SLI),  840 EVO, Fractal R4 (Full Custom Loop)  (IP)

Media Server/Perm Folder: i3 4130, CX500, 4 X WD Red 1TB, 60GB Adata SSD for boot, Node 304, ASrock Z87-E ITX, 8GB Kingston Value Ram

my HTPC functions as the set top box receiving encrypted TV signals from my TV provider and DVRing it through windows media center. beyond that it handles whatever streaming service I feel like.

Well the one I'm planning to build will be for gaming on my TV downstairs (using Steam In-Home Streaming, limiting the hardware needed for 1080p 60fps wut), playing blu-rays, playing films and music off of the NAS, and eventually it's going to have a dual tuner TV card in it which will be recording to a 128GB internal SSD. And obviously internet streaming services as well.

It's basically going to be an epic console and DVR.

Thanks for the replies guys, unfortunately the only benefit I would get is in-home streaming through Steam, so for now it's not worth the investment.