Adding an external GPU to my laptop

Destructer

I have a HP ENVY DV7 with  a nvidia GT 635M that is not enough for my gaming needs . So is it possible to add an external GPU to my laptop like the GTX series ? 

I'm no expert, but i'm pretty sure you can't do that. 

ok I was wrong don't judge me

wow, thats a lot of bees!

I'm no expert, but i'm pretty sure you can't do that.

it is actually, i saw a video the other day that you plug the external thing into your pc and into the PSU and put your gpu in it and it works perfectly

CPU: i7 8700k Motherboard: MSI Z370 Krait Gaming RAM: 4x 8GB Corsair Vengeance Pro (2 white, 2 black) GPU: MSI RTX 2070 Armor Case: Corsair Crystal 570x White HDD: 2x 2TB Seagate Barracuda 7200rpm Sata 3 SSD: 240GB Corsair Force 3 + 500GB Samsung 970 Evo Cooling: Corsair Hydro Series™ H150i PSU: Corsair RM750i OS: Windows 10 Pro 64-Bit

Mouse: Logitech G600 Keyboard: Corsair K95 RGB Cherry MX Brown Monitor: Samsung S24C570L 1080p 23.6" + AOC AGON 240Hz 1080p Sound: HyperX Cloud Headset Black/Red + Logitech Z213 Speakers 2.1

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics ;)

Yes, it's possible. And no, it doesn't make any sense :) it's so expensive that you'd be better off selling your notebook and buying a gaiming laptop.

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

As above, I'm no expert, but I believe, currently, there is no solution like this out there. I have heard that with the advent of USB 3 Type C, that there could be the possibility of GPU add-ons for laptops.

Slick is my leader!

to add external gpu you need to have a thunderbolt port on the laptop, also the external enclosure is really expensive.

If you judge a fish by its ability to climb a tree, it will live its whole life thinking it's stupid.  - Albert Einstein

Not sure how relevant it is yet, but as mentioned above, this is indeed the video that will probably be of most benefit to you.

Not sure how relevant it is yet, but as mentioned above, this is indeed the video that will probably be of most benefit to you.

Wow that's an awesome video and the adapter is only $50, I might buy one for fun and see how well games run on and old laptop I have.

Welcome to the forum! Please remember to follow your topics ;)

Yes, it's possible. And no, it doesn't make any sense :) it's so expensive that you'd be better off selling your notebook and buying a gaiming laptop.

Or just a gaming PC.

My PC: Intel Core i3-3220 | Alpenföhn Civetta | XFX HD 7770 1GB | ASRock B75-Pro3-M | Kingston HyperX Blu 8GB | beQuiet PurePower L8 430W | Seagate Barracuda 7200.14 1TB | Kingston V200+ 60GB | NZXT Vulcan | Soundblaster Play Replaced by Notebook + eGPU

My Notebook:   Apple MacBook Pro Retina 13-inch, Late 2013; Core i5 4258U @2.4-2.9 Ghz, 8GB RAM, 256GB PCIe SSD, Iris Graphics 5100 + GTX 960 eGPU

My Phone: OnePlus One with CM12      Camera: Nikon D3200 + 50mm f/1.8G + Kit lenses

Or just a gaming PC.

Of course

Don't ask to ask, just ask... please 🤨

sudo chmod -R 000 /*

• 1 year later...

I have a doubt, if I was to obtain an adapter from usb3.0 to thunderbolt, would I be able to for example use the new razer core or something similiar to connect it to my laptop.
Like razer core - thunderbolt to usb 3.0 adapter - laptop.

I have a doubt, if I was to obtain an adapter from usb3.0 to thunderbolt, would I be able to for example use the new razer core or something similiar to connect it to my laptop.

Like razer core - thunderbolt to usb 3.0 adapter - laptop.

I think that's not going to work, while you can adapt for data transfer, the PCI lanes won't be available for the GPU.