Help me choose a home router

Juggernautilus

I don't have any experience shopping routers and the specs are confusing me even more. Basically  I need a router for 1 PC through a cable, max 2 phones connected to it. A feature to transfer files between laptop and PC would be great. My apartment isn't that big so signal strength shouldn't be an issue. I don't know what else. I just need internet. 

Here is the list from available routers http://www.1a.lv/tikla_produkti/routers with some filters on the right.

Just go for one of the routers with a higher MBPS wifi speeds

- windows includes the features for transfering files. 

- simply share the folder you want and choose he folder name - then on other computer / laptop in windows explorer type \\computer_name\share_name\

Computer Programming Nerd Guy + Computer Support @ Red Tree IT

Cable modem with 4 gigabit lan ports. Get an combo with AC or non AC wireless. AC means you get 5Ghz and the bandwidth is higher so you get no noise from 2.4Ghz, well some noise but not as much as 2.4Ghz.

Something dlink or netgear are cheap and good.

I assume you already have the modem.  You just need a router, right?

Someone mentioned a combo modem/router, but combo's are generally not super good so I don't recommend them.

You don't have to get an AC router to enjoy 5Ghz.  You could get a nice simple single band 5Ghz N router for pretty cheap.  

I prefer a dual band router though because sometimes I require the larger range that 2.5 Ghz offers even though the interference is sometimes an issue on that frequency.  And with dual band I still have the 5Ghz frequency which I default to using.

Asus and Netgear are the two brands I prefer.

* Also here is a good website to read reviews... http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

I assume you already have the modem.  You just need a router, right?

Someone mentioned a combo modem/router, but combo's are generally not super good so I don't recommend them.

You don't have to get an AC router to enjoy 5Ghz.  You could get a nice simple single band 5Ghz N router for pretty cheap.  

I prefer a dual band router though because sometimes I require the larger range that 2.5 Ghz offers even though the interference is sometimes an issue on that frequency.  And with dual band I still have the 5Ghz frequency which I default to using.

Asus and Netgear are the two brands I prefer.

* Also here is a good website to read reviews... http://www.smallnetbuilder.com/

I am sorry I have no idea what a modem is. I currently have a 3G dongle and I finally will get a stable 50mbit DSL and I have 0 experience in networking.

EDIT: Ok, I just read a simple definition on yahoo answers. I assume the ISP includes that when they are doing cables at my house?

I suggest a Linksys WRT 1900 ac its the best home router on the market and preforms extremely well and if you have allot of devices connected it will provide the bandwidth its also perfect for gaming and uploading, downloading and streaming. just plug a cat5, cat5e or cat6 cable into your PC and router and you are good to go

Bapple \ '-' /

Personal Rig - FX 6300 ////// MSI R9 280 ////// ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ////// WD 1TB HDD ////// BitFenix NEOS Case ////// Corsair CX500M //////

Laptop - Toshiba Satellite L850D-12P ////// Tablet - Toshiba Excite ////// Mobile ​- OnePlus One //////

I suggest a Linksys WRT 1900 ac its the best home router on the market and preforms extremely well and if you have allot of devices connected it will provide the bandwidth its also perfect for gaming and uploading, downloading and streaming. just plug a cat5, cat5e or cat6 cable into your PC and router and you are good to go

Way too expensive for my needs.

Way too expensive for my needs.

do only need this for a pc and your phone or tablet or is there other people in your home?

maybe a list of devices what are used by you or others at once?

Bapple \ '-' /

Personal Rig - FX 6300 ////// MSI R9 280 ////// ASUS M5A97 R2.0 ////// WD 1TB HDD ////// BitFenix NEOS Case ////// Corsair CX500M //////

Laptop - Toshiba Satellite L850D-12P ////// Tablet - Toshiba Excite ////// Mobile ​- OnePlus One //////

do only need this for a pc and your phone or tablet or is there other people in your home?

maybe a list of devices what are used by you or others at once?

PC, 2 android phones (but very rarely) and sometimes a laptop

PC, 2 android phones (but very rarely) and sometimes a laptop

oh ok so uh i suggest getting a wireless N or AC router every router will have at least one or two Ethernet ports and a ADSL port wireless N routers dont cost much either. Netgear, Linksis and TP-link are some of the best manufactures of routers and networking equipment.

Bapple \ '-' /

oh ok so uh i suggest getting a wireless N or AC router every router will have at least one or two Ethernet ports and a ADSL port wireless N routers dont cost much either. Netgear, Linksis and TP-link are some of the best manufactures of routers and networking equipment.

will this do fine? http://www.1a.lv/tikla_produkti/routers/tplink_tlwdr3500

yes it can run up to around 8 devices at once it has 4 Ethernet ports ADSL port USB for printer connection made by a decent manufacturer and is really cheap if i was to buy it form the same place it would cost around £27 which is really cheap for a decent router and also perfect for your needs.

Also I suggest using a cat5e Ethernet cable to link it up to your PC and or laptop

Edited by AdsStan

Bapple \ '-' /

yes it can run up to around 8 devices at once it has 4 Ethernet ports ADSL port USB for printer connection made by a decent manufacturer and is really cheap if i was to buy it form the same place it would cost around £27 which is really cheap for a decent router and also perfect for your needs.

Also I suggest using a cat5e Ethernet cable to link it up to your PC and or laptop

thanks

If you have an older/ unused PC then watch this video and try to build your own router.