Can you use a nas drive to run games?

Gceorge

I currently have an SSD as my boot drive and intend to buy another to run certain programs but due to my games files nearing the 750gb mark it would just be un-feasible to have these installed on an SSD for me. So my question is this; Can you run your games (mainly steam) with succession from a NAS drive, both wirelessly or with a power line adapter as straight up ethernet cable would be an option. Thanks guys!

I have tried just to fool around. it was possible to get it all running, but i would NEVER EVER recommend doing it.

I did it because i was bored, it worked but it was very slow the way i was doing it.

Best thing would be to buy a nice 2tb black drive. or get 2 1TB black and put then in RAID 0 (if you do this make sure you have a backup)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<

Or just buy a OCZ Revodrive, thats a combination of a 100gb SSD which has as feature; caching, mega file caching, in combination wit a 1tb HDD on a laptop size ( 2,5 inch) it is a great way to do your game storage! I did it myself for a friend of mine and it worked better than my SSD raid setup, its way easier and capable of soing a lot more, slwat faster bexause of the 100gb caching SSD

As mentioned by Looney it can be done, but unless you have a gigabit wired connection MINIMUM it will run SLOWLY it may even run slowly with a single gigabit card, if you have the money to buy a setup that will allow you to have games on a NAS (Example FreeNAS) you could probably buy a couple 512GB SSD's then Raid 0 them, I do think that the RevoDrive idea is a little more expensive to do,

Hope I helped

Nathan

There are 10 types of people in the world: Those who understand binary, and those who don't.

Just some helpful stuff: You're - You are, Your - Your car, They're - They are, Their - Their car, There - Over there.

Folding @ Home Install Guide and Links | My Build

I recently moved my steam folder from my Force 3 ssd , to a 1tb spinpoint F1, in most games there is no noticable difference, but in games like skyrim, when there's a lot of data to be read from the disc, each loading screen probably lasts a couple of seconds longer. So depending on the game I would think the game would be anything from slow to unplayable on gigabit atleast. With 10GBit there may be a different story, since i have no personal experaince with 10GBit.

I recently moved my steam folder from my Force 3 ssd ' date=' to a 1tb spinpoint F1, in most games there is no noticable difference, but in games like skyrim, when there's a lot of data to be read from the disc, each loading screen probably lasts a couple of seconds longer. So depending on the game I would think the game would be anything from slow to unplayable on gigabit atleast. With 10GBit there may be a different story, since i have no personal experaince with 10GBit.[/quote']

all true, but a 10gb solutions would be much more expensive then just getting 1tb worth of ssd's :)

Respect the Code of Conduct!

>> Feel free to join the unofficial LTT teamspeak 3 server TS3.schnitzel.team <<

>>LTT 10TB+ Topic<< | >>FlexRAID Tutorial<<>>LTT Speed wave<< | >>LTT Communies and Servers<<