Over-kill?

Quick question, my family is buying a very expensive art printer, and we would like a computer dedicated to running it.  It has to be able to run Photoshop Elements 10 or Photoshop Pro, and run for days at a time printing.  My friend concluded that this would work, but he went overkill.  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Jb8RYJ

Would this be sufficient for the tasks described earlier?  Would the bottom end iMac be better for this?

sold

There is no such thing as overkill

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

Agreed.

Ketchup is better than mustard.

GUI is better than Command Line Interface.

Dubs are better than subs

expect your psu

CPU: AMD FX-8120 | CPU Cooler: Thermaltake Contac 30 | Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-990FXA-UD3 | Memory: Kingston 16GB (4 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 | Storage: WD 1TB | GPU: Gigabyte Radeon HD 7870 | Case: Thermaltake Chaser MK-I | PSU: Thermaltake Black Widow 850W

so true.

The rig is fine.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

Quick question, my family is buying a very expensive art printer, and we would like a computer dedicated to running it.  It has to be able to run Photoshop Elements 10 or Photoshop Pro, and run for days at a time printing.  My friend concluded that this would work, but he went overkill.  http://ca.pcpartpicker.com/p/Jb8RYJ

Would this be sufficient for the tasks described earlier?  Would the bottom end iMac be better for this?

This is actually quiet funny...overkill....no my 5k build is complete overkill, though there is really no such thing as overkill when it comes to computers. For 8GB of memory to run that kinda stuff and an i5?

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

I will define overkill when I have the money to have a professional scientific glassblower make the all glass tubing for the watercooling loop I am envisioning.

Expect to be wet, very wet, IF I can ever afford it.

You can do better with 850 let me get ya something

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: Samsung 840 EVO 250GB 2.5" Solid State Drive  ($139.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($139.95 @ Vuugo) 
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($31.58 @ DirectCanada) 
Power Supply: EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze Certified ATX Power Supply  ($39.99 @ NCIX) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.75 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $834.47
Prices include shipping, taxes, and discounts when available
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-04 22:03 EDT-0400

@Equilibrium_FOOL here ya go!

Do you need the CD-Drive?

your pc will be better than the bottom end iMac.

INTEL i7 4790K | GIGABYTE GA-Z97X GAMING 5 | A-DATA 16GB | PCS+ R9 290 | SAMSUNG 840 EVO | MOMENTUS XT BARRACUDA |  FRACTAL DESIGN R4

Grab the K model for not much more and that is probably more underkill then anything. I would actually recommend used parts from trusted members on here, overclock.net and hardforum.com to get more powerful parts for the same price. 

I will define overkill when I have the money to have a professional scientific glassblower make the all glass tubing for the watercooling loop I am envisioning.

Expect to be wet, very wet, IF I can ever afford it.

:lol: That is actually funny...that would be so awesome tho.....

10363951_1377695385853142_39338593613977

Do something like this inside your loop....

If you've previously won the build off please pm me so we can get something worked out.

:lol: That is actually funny...that would be so awesome tho.....

-snip

Do something like this inside your loop....

Despite being a stoner myself, I am actually going for the mad scientist look as opposed to the stoner look. Think loops and stuff. Going to be a completely overkill build. IF I ever have the money to do it, I will totally be looking for someone on here to make an unveiling video for it to accompany the build log, which won't be posted until the actual build is done (unlike last time) lol

Motherboard: Gigabyte GA-H87-D3H ATX LGA1150 Motherboard  ($99.99 @ Memory Express) 
Memory: G.Skill Value Series 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1333 Memory  ($76.88 @ Canada Computers) 
Storage: Seagate Barracuda 1TB 3.5" 7200RPM Internal Hard Drive  ($54.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Video Card: Gigabyte Radeon R9 280 3GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($229.99 @ NCIX) 
Case: NZXT H440 (White/Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($119.99 @ NCIX) 
Total: $850.07
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-04 21:50 EDT-0400

Again that RAM is seriously underclocked. Do 1600 MHz or better, and I would throw in a EVO 128GB SSD for the operating system, also no need for that video card extent if its only printing art...

Again that RAM is seriously underclocked. Do 1600 MHz or better, and I would throw in a EVO 128GB SSD for the operating system, also no need for that video card extent if its only printing art...

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh I did not see printing art xD let me fix it!

Despite being a stoner myself, I am actually going for the mad scientist look as opposed to the stoner look. Think loops and stuff. Going to be a completely overkill build. IF I ever have the money to do it, I will totally be looking for someone on here to make an unveiling video for it to accompany the build log, which won't be posted until the actual build is done (unlike last time) lol

That would be cool...that was posted from my facebook...I've been there and its a stoners mind in the open let me tell you.

oooooooooooooooooooooooooh I did not see printing art xD let me fix it!

That's alright you are getting better at these builds. It takes awhile to get everything down.

That's alright you are getting better at these builds. It takes awhile to get everything down.

Thanks c:

Memory: A-Data XPG V2 8GB (2 x 4GB) DDR3-1600 Memory  ($79.99 @ Canada Computers) 
Video Card: Gigabyte GeForce GTX 750 Ti 2GB WINDFORCE Video Card  ($139.95 @ Vuugo) 
Case: BitFenix Merc Alpha (Black) ATX Mid Tower Case  ($31.58 @ DirectCanada) 
Optical Drive: Asus DRW-24B1ST/BLK/B/AS DVD/CD Writer  ($19.75 @ Vuugo) 
Total: $814.47
Generated by PCPartPicker 2014-08-04 21:57 EDT-0400

Better now take it a step farther and get the EVO 256GB SSD rather then the Pro version there is like no difference. Then it will be looking really good.

Better now take it a step farther and get the EVO 256GB SSD rather then the Pro version there is like no difference. Then it will be looking really good.

Not thinking straight tonight forgive me xD

Not thinking straight tonight forgive me xD

Its alright took me alot longer then it is with you to get a build straight.

maybe three titan z's are overkill but besides that nothing is overkill

My Cheap But Good Rig: I7-3770s, Intel Motherboard (actually made by intel), 16gb DDR3, Nvidia Gtx 1070, 250gb Samsung 850 EVO SSD, 750gb HDD, Evga 500 BR power supply

definitely overkill 

Thats that. If you need to get in touch chances are you can find someone that knows me that can get in touch.

maybe three titan z's are overkill but besides that nothing is overkill

Nothing is overkill if I could I would buy a crossdesk and fill it with 1TB SSD and 4-way sli titans just to say I have it. And have one side a server dedicated and the other my real computer. And since it is like 20 SSD's I would have 10TB of SSD in raid 1 in cause anything ever happened...thats still not overkill to me.

I am going to be doing some photo editing on this rig, but for the most part it is just an advanced printer GUI.  And I am not planning on over-clocking, as that may put extra strain on the PC, and we do want this to last for quite some time.

sold