Sooo... I'm new to this community. If you watched the Eurovision '13 (I doubt it... :P) then you know that Denmark won - THAT'S WHERE I'M FROM! :D Not a fan of the song though. but still.... :D With that said - hey! I'm highly involved in a Minecraft server project. I'm an admin/owner of a server hosted on Fragnet.net. We're looking to build our own physical server. If we want at least 150 "slots" on our server without lag, what would server specs look like? I'm a girl gamer - not exactly a necessary information, but still...  It makes the odd dude go: "For real?!". So I thought I'd warn you. :D We had a 200 slot Minecraft server running with 32 gigs of RAM on 40/40 connection, but lag was a huge issue... We had 2 SSD's in raid 0.. Still lag..... We went with Windows server. Again - not a fan, but I haven't got the slightest idea of how to run Linux, so that was kind of our only choice. If someone in here could help with specs options, I would be deeply grateful! :) Go go?! :D

By the way - being new here also means that admins should feel free to move this thread to the right place. :)

I would personally go with a AMD opteron powered 16 core and use a board with 2-4 of them. they work quite nicely. i would use about 16-32gigs of ram per processor and ocz ssd's in raid 5 im not sure exaclty how taskings work on minecraft servers but a few years ago i got a private wow server and had to stop after about 20 people joined bucause the netbook i was hosting on couldnt take it. yea a netbook i know not optimal but depending on the budget a good workstation should be able to handle the load i would suggest a second nic on the computer as this will help with throughput of the sessions.

CPU: AMD FX 6300 @4.2GHZ | MSI 970A-G 46| Gskill Sniper 2X4GB 2400| Samsung 840 EVO 120GB| NZXT Phantom 410 gunmetal|

Apevia 680W Iceberg| HIS R9-270X| WD green 3TB| 

Thanks for really fast feedback! Just to clarify - budget is not limited. We're 3 people chipping in on the project, so that's not an issue right now. Thankfully. We're honestly just looking for the optimal build. We can't  give any info about current cpu and gpu, since we're hosting via fragnet. Our old cpu/gpu info I can't find right now, but it shouldn't be relevant, 'cause it clearly wans't good enough anyways. :P

what up/donwload speed do you have?? 

If you tell a big enough lie and tell it frequently enough it will be believed.

-Adolf Hitler 

• 2 weeks later...

Firstly, what's wrong with Denmarks song? Secondly, what is your player aim. US players, European? I used to run 30 people on a heavily modified server with 4 or 8gb of ram and a dual core CPU and had no issues. It's not the server in terms of CPU/RAM that generates the issues but the internet connection that bottlenecks everything.

SSD's won't make a difference seeing as data can't be transfered fast enough for a noticeable difference to be seen. 

I run a server right now, just vanilla minecraft and I've had up to 15ish people on, with 16gb of ram allocated to the server, with NO issues at all, I have 60mbps download and around 12mbps upload, I didn't notice that it was even running, and neither did the people online. I think honestly just a good net connection maybe 30ish upload you can easily host 100 people with around 32gb of ram allocated and a decent cpu. (I think)

Stuff:  i7 7700k @ (dat nibba succ) | ASRock Z170M OC Formula | G.Skill TridentZ 3600 c16 | EKWB 1080 @ 2100 mhz  |  Acer X34 Predator | R4 | EVGA 1000 P2 | 1080mm Radiator Custom Loop | HD800 + Audio-GD NFB-11 | 850 Evo 1TB | 840 Pro 256GB | 3TB WD Blue | 2TB Barracuda

Hwbot: http://hwbot.org/user/lays/ 

FireStrike 980 ti @ 1800 Mhz http://hwbot.org/submission/3183338 http://www.3dmark.com/3dm/11574089

you can have a mid range PC running the server, its the internet speeds that will be causing the lag etc. Try Fiber optic or cable when the system is built and have it at the persons house that will have the least devices on the internet

I am sorry, the connection was fiber 100/100 in an envirionment like you described, jclappers. The rigg was mostly upgraded for bragging rights and fun, but also to rule out components being the source of lagg. Plugins were testet separately and together in different combinations but to no avail. 200+ players made it crash on launch day, but 30-50 players shouldn't be a problem.

The 40/40 connection, I wrongly mentioned as part of the old setup, is our only option right now, if we build a new server, which leaves me kind of desperate. I have no clue, how to avoid the bottleneck, you are mentioning, windspeed36. In regards to the song - I've heard better. :D Eurovision isn't what it used to be. :) The player aim is only stated as international. We're going for whoever wants to join and enjoys a more immersive minecraft experience - storyline, expansions and all. :)

I can proudly say that we had more than 100 visitors on day 1, and since then we've had a fair amount of players sticking around for the full experience. Around 15-40 players online depending on time of the day. :)

We still hope to find the perfect specs and proper internet provider, so we can host it ourselves.

depends on your CPU but I think the main issue is your connection speed.

(\__/)

(='.'=)

(")_(") This is Bunny.

100/100 is sadly all I can get in this damn small country. xD