Installing an aftermarket CPU cooler

Degraximus
Go to solution Solved by MegaDave91,

I don't really have isopropanol. Any substitutes? Or is it optional?

Go buy some

My arctic freezer 13 just arrived and I thought I might post this here so I don't screw something up. So can you read this and correct if something's wrong.

I remove my stock cooler, remove the thermal paste if there's any sticking to the CPU with a dry soft cloth and just put the freezer 13 on my cooler on my CPU and that's it.

EDIT: i forgot to mention that the thermal compound is pre-applied to the freezer 13.

To clean the thermal paste you probably going to need some isopropanol as well.

Then ofcourse you need to reapply some thermal paste and then put the new cooler on.

Make sure to clean up any remaining residue from the previous thermal paste with Isopropyl rubbing alcohol...99% is recommended.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

You know, they include an installation manual for a reason...

I should be studying.

To clean the thermal paste you probably going to need some isopropanol as well.

Then ofcourse you need to reapply some thermal paste and then put the new cooler on.

Go buy some

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

You know, they include an installation manual for a reason...

Yeah I'll follow it, I'm just worried that I might screw something up even before that

Ok.

You could also use some white spirit or refined petrol.

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

You could also use some white spirit or refined petrol.

Oh actually I remembered that I have those things for cleaning glasses that have alcohol on them. Would that work too? I think the term is "glasses wipes"

Oh actually I remembered that I have those things for cleaning glasses that have alcohol on them. Would that work too? I think the term is "glasses wipes"

Would not recommend them. If you use them make sure you clean the cpu afterwards with a piece of cloth.

CPU: i5-3570K GPU: Sapphire R9 280X Vapor OC MOBO: Asus P8Z77-M RAM: Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 16GB. PSU: Corsair CX600M CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 7 rev 2 

SSD: 1x Kingston HyperX 3K SSD 120GB, 1x Crucial M4 128GB HDD: WD Caviar Black 1TB

Thanks for all the replies. I managed to install it and it seems to be working fine.