Hertz to fps difference

jackhooks21

Will there be a big problem of any kind with gaming at 60fps on a 144hz monitor? Will there be artifacting or anything like that?

It will look no different than if it was a 60Hz monitor. At least, I don't notice it with a 144Hz monitor, I drop below 144fps plenty with my rig and it looks fine.

I really wish that we'd just make organic hardware already, that grows and adapts to the demands it needs to meet. That way, grannies' computers can be floppy sacks of organicness and the 12 year old Minecrafters will look like the guys that only do bicep curls, and the nerdy programmers will finally have justice, with their body-builder rigs that skipped leg day.

CPU: i7-4770k 4.8GHz | Motherboard: Asus Maximus Hero | RAM: 16gigs 2133MHz | GPU: SLI Gigabyte OC 2gb 770's | Case: INWIN GRone | Storage: 1tb Blue, 60gb SSD | PSU: Silencer MK II 950w | Cooling: Modded H100i

Maybe some screen tearing. That's where Vsync comes in.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Will there be a big problem of any kind with gaming at 60fps on a 144hz monitor? Will there be artifacting or anything like that?

I'd make a rig that can push 144fps first, and then get the monitor.

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552

No, but it defeats the purpose of a 144hz monitor.

This^

Maybe some screen tearing. That's where Vsync comes in.

No. 

Screen tearing only occurs as FPS gets higher than a monitor's refresh rate.

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

This^

No. 

I was confused and got them mixed up, I only just learned about it the other day.

CPU: i7 2600 @ 4.2GHz  COOLING: NZXT Kraken X31 RAM: 4x2GB Corsair XMS3 @ 1600MHz MOBO: Gigabyte Z68-UD3-XP GPU: XFX R9 280X Double Dissipation SSD #1: 120GB OCZ Vertex 2  SSD #2: 240GB Corsair Force 3 HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: Silverstone Strider Plus 600W CASE: NZXT H230
CPU: Intel Core 2 Quad Q9550 @ 2.83GHz COOLING: Cooler Master Eclipse RAM: 4x1GB Corsair XMS2 @ 800MHz MOBO: XFX nForce 780i 3-Way SLi GPU: 2x ASUS GTX 560 DirectCU in SLi HDD #1: 1TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM PSU: TBA CASE: Antec 300

Thanks for all the advice guys. What about playing at a not recomended res? like 1080 on a 1440?

Wrong. Screen tearing occurs when the refresh rate of your monitor and the frames outputted by your GPU aren't synchronised. Nvidia's Adaptive VSync does allow screen tearing below your monitor's refresh rate.

Even if the monitor got whole frames and didn't tear at 60 fps you would get microstutter caused by uneven frame timings.

Wrong. Screen tearing occurs when the refresh rate of your monitor and the frames outputted by your GPU aren't synchronised. Nvidia's Adaptive VSync does allow screen tearing below your monitor's refresh rate.

Even if the monitor got whole frames and didn't tear at 60 fps you would get microstutter caused by uneven frame timings.

Source? 

From what I've always understood, tearing only occurs when FPS > Hz for a monitor. The disadvantage to FPS < Hz is not fully utilizing your hardware and lower FPS by default (unless you have 120/144hz monitors). 

That frame timing thing does make sense though. Although, from what I've also seen, the only time microstuttering is relevant to a gaming experience is when going multi-GPU, and that has been mostly fixed. 

† Christian Member †

For my pertinent links to guides, reviews, and anything similar, go here, and look under the spoiler labeled such. A brief history of Unix and it's relation to OS X by Builder.

Source? 

From what I've always understood, tearing only occurs when FPS > Hz for a monitor. The disadvantage to FPS < Hz is not fully utilizing your hardware and lower FPS by default (unless you have 120/144hz monitors). 

That frame timing thing does make sense though. Although, from what I've also seen, the only time microstuttering is relevant to a gaming experience is when going multi-GPU, and that has been mostly fixed. 

Source? From playing games with adaptive Vsync at 40-50 fps and getting screen tearing...

Actually the only time I've ever experienced microstuttering being caused by my SLI setup was playing GTA IV and there isn't a part of that game that isn't a piece of poo for pc*. Aside from that most of my annoyances with microstuttering are actually on YouTube. While YouTube is capable of 30fps a lot of videos I watch are clearly 24fps and judder like hell on my 60 hz monitor, but are smooth on my 120 hz monitor. It's why most modern TVs support 24Hz refresh natively since it's the film industry standard.

*Edit: actually the bowling mechanic is surprisingly quite good. I liked that.

Source? From playing games with adaptive Vsync at 40-50 fps and getting screen tearing...

Actually the only time I've ever experienced microstuttering being caused by my SLI setup was playing GTA IV and there isn't a part of that game that isn't a piece of poo for pc*. Aside from that most of my annoyances with microstuttering are actually on YouTube. While YouTube is capable of 30fps a lot of videos I watch are clearly 24fps and judder like hell on my 60 hz monitor, but are smooth on my 120 hz monitor. It's why most modern TVs support 24Hz refresh natively since it's the film industry standard.

O.o

Well, I have a 60Hz monitor too, and I never see screen tearing on Youtube. Sounds like you have an anecdote and an issue to go with it. 

I only have one 290X, so that could be it (strange as it may seem). But yeah, I watch a lot of content on Youtube. I can't remember the last time I saw screen tearing. Or in a game for that matter, unless VSync was off, and I get over 60FPS. Under, I never see it.

† Christian Member †

O.o

Well, I have a 60Hz monitor too, and I never see screen tearing on Youtube. Sounds like you have an anecdote and an issue to go with it. 

I only have one 290X, so that could be it (strange as it may seem). But yeah, I watch a lot of content on Youtube. I can't remember the last time I saw screen tearing. Or in a game for that matter, unless VSync was off, and I get over 60FPS. Under, I never see it.

I didn't say anything about screen tearing on YouTube o.0

I didn't say anything about screen tearing on YouTube o.0

Sorry. I just re-read it. Microstuttering, not screen tearing. Again, I don't get any of that on Youtube. My bad. 

† Christian Member †

Sorry. I just re-read it. Microstuttering, not screen tearing. Again, I don't get any of that on Youtube. My bad. 

I've done side by side comparisons across both monitors and there is a definite smoothness on the 120 Hz monitor compared with the 60 Hz monitor for the same source video. It's just a mathematical fact that 24 fps doesn't subdivide evenly into 60Hz like it does into 120 Hz.

If you have a 290X there's probably a reason you don't notice screen tearing when your framerate drops below 60...