Buying a New Headset (or headphone + mic combo)

Teslamonger
Go to solution Solved by Dylan lol,

game one or game zero is prob the best headset

Some people are deaf okay? :P lol

Then they probably won't be using headphones. -_-

Then they probably won't be using headphones. -_-

Deaf as in their ears can't tell the difference between good and bad audio not that they can't actually hear anything lol

Deaf as in their ears can't tell the difference between good and bad audio not that they can't actually hear anything lol

That would be sad. :(

My opinion, I like the Yeti. I like how it has different modes, like omnidirectional, cardoid, etc. I got mine secondhand from Amazon for $64 :D. But I understand if some people want a cheaper option. IMO though the Snowball is a little ugly. And the HD650 can be bought at $350 used on Amazon if you wait. HD650 is an audiophile grade headphone. Might not be #1 on your priority list, but it's still an option. The HD 598 is $160 right now on Amazon.

You said your Corsair headset has pooped out SIX TIMES?! JESUS!  :blink:  You must hate Corsair for life now.

Well I own a couple Corsair products, and the only thing that I've had a bad history with is their headsets. So, more or less, I'm mad at Corsair's audio product design team rather than Corsair entirely.

I suggest the Headphones and Mic combo. I suggest the CHC silverado's which are $50 on amazon and the M-Audio producer mic which is around $80 or $90 on amazon.

I suggest the Headphones and Mic combo. I suggest the CHC silverado's which are $50 on amazon and the M-Audio producer mic which is around $80 or $90 on amazon.

Only problem withj the CHC SIlverados is that they fit on the ear, rather than around. I've tried 2 on-ear headsets in the past, and they both hurt horribly after wearing them for more than 3 hours.

Only problem withj the CHC SIlverados is that they fit on the ear, rather than around. I've tried 2 on-ear headsets in the past, and they both hurt horribly after wearing them for more than 3 hours.

No, the Lauredo is on the ear. The Silverado is most definitely an around ear headphone.

So basically, the only decent headset on the market for ~$200 is the G4ME series?

In that price yes.  the Audio Technica and Beyerdynamic headsets are around the $300 mark.

Headphones I'd consider for PC Gaming would be Custom One Pros or V-moda LP2 since both have detachable mic accessory that actually sound a lot more decent then what some are use to for headset like mic.

In that price yes.  the Audio Technica and Beyerdynamic headsets are around the $300 mark.

Headphones I'd consider for PC Gaming would be Custom One Pros or V-moda LP2 since both have detachable mic accessory that actually sound a lot more decent then what some are use to for headset like mic.

For the Custom One Pros, can someone find me an audio sample when using the microphone accessory? I can't happen to find one...

For the Custom One Pros, can someone find me an audio sample when using the microphone accessory? I can't happen to find one...

http://youtu.be/aYZ1Rk4fgpg?t=1m32s

From 1:32 to 1:45 is the accessory microphone that you buy extra.   sry its not english. sounds good to me.

he wrote in the comments that the whole video is recorded with the mic but that segment isn't edited.

The silverado's are over ear and the laredo are on the ear.

Any opinions on G4ME ZERO vs Custom One Pro vs V-moda LP2 in terms of audio fidelity and microphone quality?

Those seem to be the three best options, unless anyone has some more suggestions

Any opinions on G4ME ZERO vs Custom One Pro vs V-moda LP2 in terms of audio fidelity and microphone quality?

Those seem to be the three best options, unless anyone has some more suggestions

G4ME Zero - Does gaming well and music is good.  Mic is exceptional.  its sennheiser. so neutral overall with tight bass.  Sound Signature is similar to HD 380 Pro headphone. 

Custom One Pro - Dedicated Headphone with optional mic accessory.  Comparable to ATH-M50x when the base port is on the 1st notch.  at full bass notch they can be very bassy near boomy. they also have a more mellow/relaxed sound on highs and mids.  that could be a pro or con, depend on you music taste.  Mic is good but a little expensive for an addon but its convient.

V-Moda LP2 - Damn near indestructible and can be worn out of the house/portable.  bassy headphone that offers a fun listening experience. (pro or con depending on who you are). Mic quality unknown but the addon is like $30 (not that bad price wise)

EDIT: V-Moda mic test.

Edited by Silent_R493

G4ME Zero - Does gaming well and music is good.  Mic is exceptional.  its sennheiser. so neutral overall with tight bass.  Sound Signature is similar to HD 380 Pro headphone. 

Custom One Pro - Dedicated Headphone with optional mic accessory.  Comparable to ATH-M50x when the base port is on the 1st notch.  at full bass notch they can be very bassy near boomy. they also have a more mellow/relaxed sound on highs and mids.  that could be a pro or con, depend on you music taste.  Mic is good but a little expensive for an addon but its convient.

V-Moda LP2 - Damn near indestructible and can be worn out of the house/portable.  bassy headphone that offers a fun listening experience. (pro or con depending on who you are). Mic quality unknown but the addon is like $30 (not that bad price wise)

EDIT: V-Moda mic test.

Since I typically enjoy bass (as long as it doesn't leak into the mic), I'm assuming the rankings go like this:

Audio

1) V-Moda LP2

2) Custom One Pro

3) G4ME ZERO

Mic

1) G4ME ZERO

2) Custom One Pro

3) V-Moda LP2

A complete inverse, wat2do?

Just throwing this out here. QH-90 (closed)

It looks really pretty and solidly built, like one of those beyerdynamics and the mic is actually quite good (from YT videos). The QH-85 is the open cup design.

V-moda crossfade lp2 with v-moda boompro mic

n0ah1897, on 05 Mar 2014 - 2:08 PM, said:  "Computers are like girls. It's whats in the inside that matters.  I don't know about you, but I like my girls like I like my cases. Just as beautiful on the inside as the outside."

Since I typically enjoy bass (as long as it doesn't leak into the mic), I'm assuming the rankings go like this:

Audio

1) V-Moda LP2

2) Custom One Pro

3) G4ME ZERO

Mic

1) G4ME ZERO

2) Custom One Pro

3) V-Moda LP2

A complete inverse, wat2do?

I'd say you can't go wrong with any of them.  I love my G4ME headset. (PC 350 SE) Similar to Zero. But the their bass isn't loud compared to the clear highs and good mids but tight and they require an amp to drive (PC 350 SE).  Don't think the G4ME Zero does.  

They would be the more audiophile of the 3 because of how neutral the sound is since their based off a pair of studio monitor headphones. because of this they can't really be compared to the COPs/V-moda's.

COPs and V-moda make great On the go Headphones and can be used as a headset for gaming. because of the flashy style and all metal v-moda wins if portable is a deciding factor.

I'd say COPs over V-moda though for because of the ability to change how much bass you want in your audio.   everything from flat to boomy and everything inbetween.

neither COPs or V-moda require an additional amp/dac to be driven unless thats what you prefer on all your headphones.  your sound card would do the job though on all 3.

but wouldn't really need it.  COPs and V-moda can be driven easy with phone or Ipod.  again portable thing comes into play.  its one of their strong selling points besided the mic.

Personally would go COPs because of adjustable bass and the look of the cans I prefer. They could be worn outside the house but I wouldn't. I don't have that kind of need at the moment.  These probably be my next pair.

IF you watched the V-moda mic vid I linked too you could just get one of those and a different Headphone that has a detachable cable and make your own headset. 

but then you'd have to decided what headphones again.  

I'm not sure what else to recommend then since my current recommendation is based off of value/convince and my own preference.  but to me its the same thing as a modmic when doing the heaphone with detach mic.

If you haven't, watch reviews on all 3 and see which meets your requirement and liking and then decide which is the best fit for you.  if none of them then maybe consider the usually recommendations for headphones + mics.

sry if this has been a little drawn out and complex. I hope you can find something your going to really enjoy.

Just throwing this out here. QH-90 (closed)

It looks really pretty and solidly built, like one of those beyerdynamics and the mic is actually quite good (from YT videos). The QH-85 is the open cup design.

Kingston HyperX Cloud.   They released these in the states recently.  These are the QH-90.  They are pretty good for a dedicated headset. But I think OP wanted something High End.

Kingston HyperX Cloud.   They released these in the states recently.  These are the QH-90.  They are pretty good for a dedicated headset. But I think OP wanted something High End.

Well, high-end isn't exactly the aim. I just want a headset that wont die out on me every couple of months, while also making me feel like they were worth the investment. After spending $150 on my Vengeance 2000s and RMAing them so often, I was disappointed enough to throw more money at a more expensive pair.

FYI, I voted for the V-Moda option in the poll, but I think the LP would be better than the LP2 simply because I think they're so similar.

FYI, I voted for the V-Moda option in the poll, but I think the LP would be better than the LP2 simply because I think they're so similar.

Besides the $70 price gap, what's the difference between the two?

Besides the $70 price gap, what's the difference between the two?

Supposedly the LP2 has more refined bass response. It's still a ridiculous amount of bass, so again, practically no difference.

Silent_R493, on 27 May 2014 - 12:27 PM, said:

Owh I didn't know that.  $100 seems like a good price (looks like it is based off Takstar Pro 80 but with detachable mic) and has plenty of good reviews. If the design is anything like Beyer's, I think it should withstand some abuse to it.

Teslamonger, on 27 May 2014 - 2:49 PM, said:

Well, high-end isn't exactly the aim. I just want a headset that wont die out on me every couple of months, while also making me feel like they were worth the investment. After spending $150 on my Vengeance 2000s and RMAing them so often, I was disappointed enough to throw more money at a more expensive pair.

I've tried my lil brother's V-Moda LP before. Honestly for me, the bass is just too much for gaming purpose (not the clear kind bass but just drowning bass) and the highs are almost non existent. It just sounds too muddy. But it looks really good and feels solidly built though if that is you main concern.

I've tried my lil brother's V-Moda LP before. Honestly for me, the bass is just too much for gaming purpose (not the clear kind bass but just drowning bass) and the highs are almost non existent. It just sounds too muddy. But it looks really good and feels solidly built though if that is you main concern.

I actually really like those when I got them for like $45 so maybe I'm just a basshead lol. 

NannerBeans, on 28 May 2014 - 04:19 AM, said:

I actually really like those when I got them for like $45 so maybe I'm just a basshead lol. 

Maybe you are. My brother like it too. Besides it's a fashion headphones. Woop woop duub duub with some fancy design and you're set to go.

Doesn't appear as if the Custom One Pro mic has a built in mute button... would the BoomPro mic work with the Custom One Pro headset?