Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless - unboxing/first impressions/review

Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless - Cherry MX Brown

Hello everyone from the LTT community. Today I'm bringing you a first impressions / review of the Filco Majestouch 2 Tenkeyless keyboard with Cherry MX Brown switches. I'll just quickly start off my saying by no means am I a photographer and this was also a test for my new HTC One's camera. The photos were taken on an overcast day and I found there was a bit of noise in them so I edited them just a little in photoshop.

LETS BEGIN!

OWlT9lA.jpg

RcrOWNV.jpg

The outside of the box is pretty boring but if you are purchasing it from a store just double check the side of the box that they give you the right switch before you buy it. Now to open and see whats inside...

oQDM6fC.jpg

The contents of the box:

• Completely Japanese manual
  • USB to PS/2 connector
  • Plastic cover for the keyboard to keep dust off it
  • And the keyboard itself.  :wub:

3A5y7RB.jpg

Depending on what motherboard you have you may or may not have a PS/2 port. If you only have a USB your computer will only allow you to type 6 keys simultaneously with this keyboard but if you are using the PS/2 connector you can pretty much type as many keys at the same time as you want. If you are planning to use this keyboard for gaming using the USB connector and for some reason use 2 hands on your keyboard this may or may not be a problem. 

"The USB is polling, so every second thousands and thousands of times the CPU talks to the keyboard and says "are you doing anything? did you do something? oh did you do anything? oh you did something great". With PS/2 it's the other way around, the keyboard tells the CPU whenever you push a button, it interrupts the CPU and sends a hardware interrupt. With PS/2 you can push every key on the keyboard at the same time. 

-Logan, Tek Syndicate (razethew0rld)

bL3SEvr.jpg

Now the keyboard. I bought the tenkeyless version because I don't have a need for the numpad, I rarely and I mean RARELY used it. The layout of the keyboard is great, the enter key, shift and backpack are all in the normal locations and comfortable size. The only thing I wish they had of done is gotten rid of the left windows key and maybe used a function key instead and had media keys maybe as the alternative for some F buttons, they did do this on the newer camo version. 

bDAfNi6.jpg

VnGwDnk.jpg

The Caps Lock and Scroll Lock lights are found above the home key, they light up blue on this model but on other models they may light up green. 

5CnFTQ0.jpg

The height of the keyboard is adjustable from a more flat typing position...

MRNWsN3.jpg

To more of an angle depending on what you are comfortable with. The adjustment feet also have rubber on them so the keyboard won't move around while typing. 

oZVyysf.jpg

RZMBkqu.jpg

z4vLlTW.jpg

The keyboard in It's new home. B)

The build quality of this keyboard is quite impressive, it's got a fair bit of weight behind it and feels very solid. The size is perfect for me and the feeling of typing on the brown switches has such a nice feel to it and a great sound.

This is my first mechanical keyboard and needless to say I'm pretty stoked with it, if you are hunting around for a mechanical keyboard and aren't sure what to get I'd recommend Filco for excellent build quality but If you are a gamer who needs extra keys for macros or whatever else you may want to look elsewhere. 

Thanks for reading, if you have any questions feel free to ask.

• Sabertooth Z77
  • Intel i7 3770k
  • EVGA FTW GTX 670
  • 16 GB Corsair Dominator 1600MHz RAM
  • 1TB WD Black HDD
  • 250gb Intel 520 Series SSD
  • Corsair AX750 PSU