Computer problems

Atkinson4780

Hello all, first time posting here, pretty desperate at this point. I'll try and start off with my problem, my computer has always ran fine, it all started maybe a month or so ago, when I wasn't able to run Battlefield 3, Planetside 2, DayZ, all those high end games, but could run like minecraft, my computer would just shut off, but not all the way. The screen will lose connection, no sound will play and my headset turns off, my keyboard and mouse turns off, everything plugged into the computer turns off, except the computer itself, the fans still run and the leds still light up. So I tried to monitor my temps, I was getting high idle temps, pretty much in the 50sC for everything else, and the CPU was getting ~70sC temp. So being the idiot I am, tried to fix it myself. At first I kept a fan, blowing down from the top (best idea ever right?) later finding out that the hot air escapes from the top but it was helping with my temps. After awhile it started to get worse and it started shutting off again, not being able to launch load intense games. So I decided to use compressed air to clean the dust out, I used 2 whole cans, then changed the thermal paste on the cpu, I finally got it down to ~50C (high 40s low 50s) idle, but the problem still persisted. Temps were down to an all time low, I was in the 30s with everything except the CPU. I then started getting really confused, I decided to change the thermal pads on the GPU, but I didnt have thermal pads, so I used AS5 instead and the temps dropped ~ 5-6c but it was still shutting down, but now it was worse, I couldn't run simple small games anymore, it was even shutting down not doing anything on the computer. So I decided to format my computer and reinstall windows. This is where It gets tricky. While installing all my drivers, I decided to install my graphics card drivers first, but after I installed them, my computer started crashing again. So I formated my computer again and reinstalled windows again, this time, I installed all other drivers first and nothing happened, I then installed the drivers for the graphics card and it started crashing. I then tried using a different power outlet and power cord and it stopped turning off as much. I then tried stress testing my video card and everything seemed fine, it was stable at ~76-80c after 20mins. I still can't play any games and it shuts off randomly still. If theres anything you could do to help me that would mean the world. If not then I understand.
Specs;
Motherboard: GIGABYTE GA-870-USB3
CPU Cooling: 120mm Liquid cooling standard
CPU: AMD Phenom II X4 965
GPU: HIS 6970 2GB Iceq Turbo
PSU: APEX 800W
NEVER Overclocked

ehh do you have more info about the PSU because i guess its not a good psu at all!

That's what I was guessing, the PSU not sending out enough power, but it's worked fine all these years, why stop all of a sudden? But anywho, All I know is it is a APEX 800w, want me to add a picture of the label on it?

Is this your power supply? http://www.game-debate.com/psu/index.php?ps_id=619&psu=Nox%20Apex%20800W

If it is, you overloaded one or more of the 12V rails on your power supply. One 12V rail can only put out about 200W out of the possible four and considering the age of the power supply, it is probably even less.

Get a new power supply, preferably one with a single 12V rail.

EDIT: or you can change rails on the current one, but this is too much of a hassle IMO.

I agree with previous posts. Buy a good quality PSU.

Gigabyte GA-X58A-UD3R (Rev. 2.0)    Micron C400 256GB SSD     MSI GTX 660 Ti PE OC     Logitech G510

Intel i7 960 @ 4.125GHz                        WD Black 1TB                         Windows 7 Pro 64bit        Logitech G9x

Kingston HyperX 6GB                             Corsair TX850M                     Corsair H50                        Logitech z906

In my experience I have yet to run into a PSU that sometimes works. It has always worked or it doesn't. Is there anything else plugged into the computer other than your video card? Sound card? capture card? modem? wifi card? Msata? Remove all unnecessary peripherals from the motherboard and do a clean install. If problem still persists try a different video card. If you can't get your hands on a different video card, do you have a different computer to install that card in? Need to figure out if there is something wrong with that videocard/motherboard/or some other peripheral. In my opionion it sounds like your motherboard is crapping out on you.