Connecting to server from anywhere

Tk731

Hey guys, just had a question about connecting to a server. 

Basically right now I have a server running server 2008 sp2. It is set up and have some user accounts for my friends and have some drives mapped and everything is running fine, the problem I am having is that I do not know how get my friends to be able to connect to it from anywhere. 

I have tried a few different things, I read about FTP and a lot of different things but I still have no idea where to go from here. 

My one friend suggested a VPN. 

My question is, what would be the easiest, most secure and fastest way they can connect to it? And how would I set it up? 

I have very little networking experience unfortunately and there is so much information I am lost. 

Any help would be appreciated. Thanks. 

So you want to share a windows server mount over the wan?

"There's no test like production!"

you can try make FTP accounts using fileZilla-server and then give access to those disks what are mounted.

I want them to be able to upload and download files to the server yes. I will take a look at it. Is there anything I need to do to get it working? Like I said I have very little networking experience. 

You will have to setup a FTP server on the windows box port forward 21 and set up ftp accounts and permissions, there will be a video on youtube somewhere about it 

tbh if your router supports VPN connection, setup a IPsec vpn-tunnel to your lan, that way you send your information securly over the internet. Well it is kinda hard to describe how you set it up because we dont know your hardware well enough. Whats your internet speeds? Whats the brand of your router?

Harr, darr and a couple of....... plastic earings?

LTC Wallet: LMiWdifKAN546FjyRspfhmfBWidyRPeEUK

tbh if your router supports VPN connection, setup a IPsec vpn-tunnel to your lan, that way you send your information securly over the internet. Well it is kinda hard to describe how you set it up because we dont know your hardware well enough. Whats your internet speeds? Whats the brand of your router?

no just no. a VPN would kill the speed FTP protocol is the way to do it and also "I have very little networking experience." so i doubt he is going to be setting up a VPN soon

I installed the server and it up with a guide but I cannot connect to it with my pc. it says could not connect to server connection timed out. 

I opened a port on my router. Is there anything else i needed to do? From the video i watched it should work.. 

Have you allowed it on windows firewall on the server? 

Did you try connect via a WAN ip or the local ip?

I allowed it through the firewalls on both my pc and the server, but will double check them. I was using the WAN ip. I did the connection wizard and during the test it started opening data connection then failed. 503 failure of data connection. 

Don't try and connect with ur WAN ip from local you have got a hirpin nat, use the servers  Local ip then if it works ask a mate to test it from the WAN.

Ok I got the local to work, will ask a friend to try now. 

They were able to connect and transfer files, I did have a few more questions though. I have two different drives in the server and I have them both added for the users however only the home drive is showing, how can I make them see both? Also, is there anything I can do to increase security?

They were able to connect and transfer files, I did have a few more questions though. I have two different drives in the server and I have them both added for the users however only the home drive is showing, how can I make them see both? Also, is there anything I can do to increase security?

try this, http://www.tomshardware.co.uk/forum/34410-42-multiple-drive-sharing-filezilla-server

increase security?  Good passwords

Awesome I got it all working now, thanks a lot for your help!  :)

Awesome I got it all working now, thanks a lot for your help!  :)

no problem  ;)