How often do you change your CPU Thermal Paste?

I got into a bit of a debate with a friend recently over how often you want to replace your CPU's thermal paste, and wanted to expand this discussion to a broader audience.

I am a believer of not changing the paste at all, or until temperatures start to increase drastically, and not as a result of seasonal change.  I have a Hyper 212 EVO, and just used the paste that came with the heatsink.

He is a believer in doing it once every 6 months, a year at most.

I scoured the internet and opinions on this vary greatly, ranging from every 6 months to never.  Thermal paste companies say to change it every 6 months, but that is biased because they want to sell more paste.  Mechanical technicians say it never has to be replaced.  They will repair components that are 10+ years old, and the thermal paste is still intact.

I just don't understand why you would mess with something if it is still performing as it should.    That is the only rationale I could come up with.  If your temperatures are spiking, and you notice your CPU is starting to throttle, by all means, you should do everything in your power to get it back to working normally.  Yet to replace the thermal paste on a cycle, when it is already doing its job, I can't wrap my head around that.  Maybe being pro-active about a problem?  Some pastes even say it gets better after 200+ hours at a certain temperature!

This isn't even taking into account removing and applying the paste, which some people really make a mess of.

You will notice a bit of a bias in my poll, I am aware of it, I would like to hear other opinions though.

Debate starts.......

NOW!

"I genuinely dislike the promulgation of false information, especially to people who are asking for help selecting new parts."

not that often what i normally do i run a bunch of tests seeing what one gets a lower temp when i find a temp range i like ill stick with that application  

Specs

CPU: i5 4670k i won the silicon lottery Cooler: Corsair H100i w/ 2x Corsair SP120 quiet editions Mobo: ASUS Z97 SABERTOOTH MARK 1 Ram: Corsair Platnums 16gb (4x4gb) Storage: Samsun 840 evo 256gb and random hard drives GPU: EVGA acx 2.0 gtx 980 PSU: Corsair RM 850w Case: Fractal Arc Midi R2 windowed 

I just prefer to ensure that my computer is going to perform well all the time, without any risks. I don't go around changing my paste every few months but I do change it yearly.

Connor Freebairn - ConnorFreebairn@newman.cumbria.sch.uk
IT Technician & Certified computer geek.

I haven't as of yet. I have tube of ARCTIC MX4 just sitting there collecting dust.

If your friend wants to do it every 6 months, thats cool. Ask him why he doesn't do the same for his GPU too. or does he.

CORSAIR RIPPER: AMD 3970X - 3080TI & 2080TI - 64GB Ram - 2.5TB NVME SSD's - 35" G-Sync 120hz 1440P
MFB (Mining/Folding/Boinc): AMD 1600 - 3080 & 1080Ti - 16GB Ram - 240GB SSD
Dell OPTIPLEX:  Intel i5 6500 - 8GB Ram - 256GB SSD

PC & CONSOLE GAMER

I'm with you on this one, if things work as they should, I really see no reason to do anything.

Taking preemptive measures makes sense in scenarios where the time between a warning and

actual failure is too short to prevent failure once you've gotten the warning, but that really

shouldn't be the case here, so unless you really enjoy changing your thermal paste then

I don't really see a point to this behavior.

And as @Antistatic12 says: If you change the paste on your CPU, consistent behavior

would suggest also changing it on everything else: GPUs, RAM heatspreaders, chipsets

and so on.

EDIT:

Also, if your CPU has thermal paste between its chip and its heatspreader: delid and replace

thermal paste on that one too. :D

Edited by alpenwasser

BUILD LOGS: HELIOS - Latest Update: 2015-SEP-06 ::: ZEUS - BOTW 2013-JUN-28 ::: APOLLO - Complete: 2014-MAY-10
OTHER STUFF: Cable Lacing Tutorial ::: What Is ZFS? ::: mincss Primer ::: LSI RAID Card Flashing Tutorial
FORUM INFO: Community Standards ::: The Moderating Team ::: 10TB+ Storage Showoff Topic

Minnesota winter air is incredibly dry, so I find myself reapplying every spring

[AMD Athlon 64 Mobile 4000+ Socket 754 | Gigabyte GA-K8NS Pro nForce3 | OCZ 2GB DDR PC3200 | Sapphire HD 3850 512MB AGP | 850 Evo | Seasonic 430W | Win XP/10]

1 year but if your temperatures are starting to soar then just do it.

Just make sure it's not dust that causing your heat issues.

whenever i want to upgrade, its a bitch working in a matx case ._.

hellooooooooo

I voted for the last one. I can't see the need to change the thermal paste if your CPU is staying as cool as it was from day one. 

If it gives you piece of mind knowing you have fresh thermal paste on it, then by all means go for it. Just makes sure your temps don't actually increase after applying new thermal paste.

Case: Corsair 4000D Airflow; Motherboard: MSI ZZ490 Gaming Edge; CPU: i7 10700K @ 5.1GHz; Cooler: Noctua NHD15S Chromax; RAM: Corsair LPX DDR4 32GB 3200MHz; Graphics Card: Asus RTX 3080 TUF; Power: EVGA SuperNova 750G2; Storage: 2 x Seagate Barracuda 1TB; Crucial M500 240GB & MX100 512GB; Keyboard: Logitech G710+; Mouse: Logitech G502; Headphones / Amp: HiFiMan Sundara Mayflower Objective 2; Monitor: Asus VG27AQ

Yearly.

|EVGA 850 P2| |1440p PG279Q| |X570 Aorus Extreme| |Ryzen 9 3950x WC| |FE 2080Ti WC|TridentZ Neo 64GB| |Samsung 970 EVO M.2 1TB x3

|Logitech G900|K70 Cherry MX Speed|  |Logitech Z906 |  |HD650|  |CaseLabs SMA8 (one of the last ones made)

When I change CPU and/or cooler. I've changed coolers orientation without changing paste.

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

Never. By the time I replace it is when I either get a new cpu cooler or when I get a new cpu.

Mobo: Z97 MSI Gaming 7 / CPU: i5-4690k@4.5GHz 1.23v / GPU: EVGA GTX 1070 / RAM: 8GB DDR3 1600MHz@CL9 1.5v / PSU: Corsair CX500M / Case: NZXT 410 / Monitor: 1080p IPS Acer R240HY bidx

I agree with you. The job of the thermal paste is to help cool the cpu. Since it's one of the things that would predictably get worse gradually, there's no rush to replace it until necessary.

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.