Screen tearing at 30fps

Crowcore

Greetings,
I am surprised to experience some pretty intense screen tearing despite the fact that I'm not having more fps displayed than the refresh rate of my monitor. My display is a TN panel 1440x900 Samgung T190 (via DVI) and my GPU a GTX 660. So when games run at 20-35 fps, screen tearing can be seen. Even with adaptive V-sync set to 30 fps, the issue is still there. Titles tested include Guild Wars 2 and Half-Life 2.2. (Don't worry abt the poor performance I'm getting out of my GPU, I'm CPU bottlenecked).

So, any ideas ?
Thank you in advance.

what is your refresh rate set to?

CPU: i7 3770k 4.5ghz M/Board: Sabertooth Z77 GPU: Asus Gtx 560 Direct CUii OC RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Veangance PSU: Corsair CX600 Cooler: Custome Water Loop With Gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, Single 120mm Rad, XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

Screen-tearing shouldn't be occurring  but as insanegamer said, check your refresh rate settings on your monitor and in windows. i noticed that if you turn them down the performance fly's out the window rapidly with all kinds of weird issues, including screen tearing. 

Right click your desktop > screen resolution > Advanced settings > Monitor tab > Screen refresh rate: "set to the refresh rate of your monitor"

If it was incorrectly auto configured it might be what's causing your problem :)

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Thanks for your replies. I followed Brascoolio's instructions, and while I don't have the option "set to the refresh rate of your monitor", 60 herz was selected by default. The only other choice offered is 75 herz.

So you don't get this option?

wY9xAAu.png

export PS1='\[\033[1;30m\]┌╼ \[\033[1;32m\]\u@\h\[\033[1;30m\] ╾╼ \[\033[0;34m\]\w\[\033[0;36m\]\n\[\033[1;30m\]└╼ \[\033[1;37m\]'

"All your threads are belong to /dev/null"

| 80's Terminal Keyboard Conversion | $5 Graphics Card Silence Mod Tutorial | 485KH/s R9 270X | The Smallest Ethernet Cable | Ass Pennies | My Screenfetch |

Yes, I do. I can choose, bet. 60 and 75 Hz. It was on 60 Hz and I didn't change it.

tearing can happen at any frequency if you dont use vsync or adaptive vsync. not just because you went over 60. if your screen is set to 60hz then any fps over or under 60 will cause tearing. so set your screen to native rez and hz then go into your games settings and turn vsync on. if it works (it doesnt on all games)  you will stop the tearing. you will likley have to reduce the games quality settings so you get 60 fps minimum. if you dont  then your system will try to delay the refresh till the next full frame which can lead to stuttering or fps bouncing.

i found its often better in games to limit the fps to 60 and leave vsync off. yes you will still get some tearing but your fps will be slightly higher as your not forcing the gpu to wait with vsync. which will likley result in a much more fluid game without to much tearing.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel