i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo

Powercolor 7950pcs+

Coolermaster haf 912 advancd

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w

Samsung dvd drive

My problem is this. I take out my 7950, Put in a 550 ti. The 550ti works fine.I put the 7950 back in the pcie 3.0 slot, it boots normally until windows. Windows logs into my account but after that, i get a black screen. That only way i manged to fix this is by putting the 7950 into the pcie 2.0 slot, turning it off and putting it back into the pcie 3.0 slot. Has anybody ever experienced this problem ? I know that i seated it correctly and plugged in the power connectors properly. I can see it going through raid screen and also mobo splash screen. Is this a setting in the bios? Or is this a windows feature? Maybe its like a law of computing? I don't know. All i know is it is kind of annoying because i like to render out 1 weeks worth of footage every week with cuda to accelerate encoding. Atleast i think it speeds up encoding the video in sony vegas converting it from uncompressed video to sony vegas internet 720p preset.

msi h77ma g43 

i5 3470

Coolermaster hyper 212 evo push+pull

Powercolor 7950 pcs+ @1100 mhz core 1400mhz mem

Coolermaster haf 912 advanced 120mm rear, 200mm top 200mm front

Corsair vengeance 2x4gb 1600 MHZ

Windows 8 64bit

Silverstone essentials 500w ST50F-ES

Samsung dvd drive

2x 250GB Hitachi RAID0

Seagate Barracuda 2tb

LG IPS235p

Razer Blackwidow

Razer Deathadder

try booting into safe mode first. then 1s the desktop comes up if the screen stays on then reboot to windows.

yeah had this issue its a hal error. with my sound card theres 3 options 

either manually hunt down the hal settings in the registry and change it to the correct variables.

repair install windows, sometimes just loading up a restore point will do it as this will often repair the hal with old data 

make sure bios hasnt selected the peg 2 slot if it has switch it pag to the pci-3 slot.

Rig: Intel i7 920 D0 @3.5 | gtx970 | 12 gig Balistix 1333 @ 8-8-8-24 | 2x1TB Spinpoint F3 Raid 0 | 1TB Spinpoint F3 |samsung 840 evo|  Thermaltake 850w Tp |

Xfi extreme gamer | Antec 902

Peripherals: Samsung syncmaster 2494hs @1920/1080 - 60Hz | Q-pad MK85 | g502 | Razor Destructor | Logitech G930 | Logitech 3D pro xtreme | 360 pad | Nitro Wheel

could be the nvidia drivers re screwing things up and you have no and drivers installed

CPU: i7 3770k 4.5ghz M/Board: Sabertooth Z77 GPU: Asus Gtx 560 Direct CUii OC RAM: 2x4gb Corsair Veangance PSU: Corsair CX600 Cooler: Custome Water Loop With Gentle typhoon 1850rpm fan, Single 120mm Rad, XSPC Raystorm CPU Block

the issue is very likely due to a mobo setting.

this issue has become fairly common.

for me when I put my GTX 480 into a TZ77A mobo it didn't work in the first slot,but it did in the 2nd  pcie x16 slot.

it's all a matter of settings .

look in your bios for pcie options and switch around some of the settings (don't touch the ones that relate to the PCIE lane bus bit-rate),

settings like pcie slot 1 being "enabled" vs "auto"

pcie slot 1 being "pcie 3.0" vs "auto"

just mess around with these settings until one makes a difference.

or use the second pcie slot,it should work fine,and there should be no performance loss whatsoever from pcie 3.0 x16 to pcie 2.0 x16

Linus Sebastian said:

The stand is indeed made of metal but I wouldn't drive my car over a bridge made of it.

https://youtu.be/X5YXWqhL9ik?t=552