Fully upgrading PC for gaming and architecture school

NovaTronG

Budget (including currency): Around 1500 USD (2000CAD) can be 200USD up or down

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: (In a 1440p 144Hz Monitor) Warzone, Fortnite, Cyberpunk 2077, Witcher 3, Destiny, CSGO, Minecraft (RTX/Shaders), among others. I will be also working with 3D modelling and rendering software such as: AutoCAD, Revit, SketchUp, 3DS Max, Rhino, PS, Premiere Pro, VRay, Enscape and Lumion.

Other details:

Existing parts lists (This is my idea so far):

- Intel Core i7-10700k

- Asus Z490-E Gaming

- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200MHz CL16 (or maybe keep the 16 GB 3000MHz CL15 kit I currently have, help with this please).

- Asus RTX 3070 Strix

- Corsair H100i Pro Elite Capellix

- Corsair RM750x

- Corsair 465X RGB

- Will be reusing my storage drives.

What you're upgrading from (Will be selling this system before leaving):

- Ryzen 7 2700X

- Asus X470-F Strix

- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3000MHz

- MSI GeForce GTX 970 4G (I don't know why i haven't upgraded this yet).

- 2 M.2 NVMe 512GB SSDs

- 2TB Seagate Barracuda

- Evga SuperNova 850 G2

- NZXT S340

When you're going to buy: Will be buying around the 15th of January 2021

What resolution and refresh rate you want to play at: 1440p at 144Hz (G-Sync compatible monitor)

If you are buying next year, why not a ryzen 5000 part? From what I know, cad and premirer also preform better on ryzen price to price.

I could use some help with this!

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

My beautiful, but not that powerful, main PC:

prior build:

Spoiler

12 minutes ago, NovaTronG said:

- Ryzen 7 2700X

- Asus X470-F Strix

- 2 M.2 NVMe 512GB SSDs

- 2TB Seagate Barracuda

- Evga SuperNova 850 G2

- NZXT S340

When you're going to buy: Will be buying around the 15th of January 2021

What resolution and refresh rate you want to play at: 1440p at 144Hz (G-Sync compatible monitor)

By January 2021 Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000/5000) would be out for a few months already, so why not go for that and keep your current system? X470 should be supported and you can upgrade to the 3070 before even going for Zen 3, it's unnecessary to replace the whole system.

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

6 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

If you are buying next year, why not a ryzen 5000 part? From what I know, cad and premirer also preform better on ryzen price to price.

That actually sounds reasonable, is there a release date for these CPUs? I've always preferred AMD but lately 10th Gen seems to have the lead.

1 minute ago, Syn. said:

By January 2021 Zen 3 (Ryzen 4000/5000) would be out for a few months already, so why not go for that and keep your current system? X470 should be supported and you can upgrade to the 3070 before even going for Zen 3, it's unnecessary to replace the whole system.

Will definitely look into that, hope these new Ryzen processors beat 10th Gen Intel, since I really prefer AMD over Intel nowadays. Will these new CPUs launch a new chipset? X670 for example? Since I might go for X570 if not for the PCIe Gen 4. 

Furthermore, the true reason I planned to change my whole system is because I will be moving from Mexico to Canada, and moving pc parts is very risky (they're treated extremely roughly) but also expensive (needing to pay additional taxes as well as separate shipping), so big parts such as motherboards, AIOs and PSUs would be better to buy new.

4 minutes ago, NovaTronG said:

That actually sounds reasonable, is there a release date for these CPUs? I've always preferred AMD but lately 10th Gen seems to have the lead.

For gaming, yeah, the 10600k trounces the 3600. the 3700x is closer, for the same price though. AMD is announcing the zen3/ryzen 5000 in a week, and should be out in the next two weeks. they should come with a 17% IPC (instructions per clock) increase, and the 5900x should have a 5ghz boost clock. They look great. 

please, pm me if you would like to contribute to my gpu bios database (includes overclocking bios, stock bios, and upgrades to gpus via modding)

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

13 minutes ago, NovaTronG said:

Zen 3 should be announced or launched on October 8th and Ryzen 3000 (Zen 2) already gets close to Intel in Gaming and surpasses it in other workloads, they're redesigning their Zen 3 archeticture in a way that should bring substantial performance boosts in gaming especially and ofc it would benefit other workloads as well, so overall it should be better than Intel for the first time, we'll have to see once they're out, make your decision by then.

10 minutes ago, NovaTronG said:

Will definitely look into that, hope these new Ryzen processors beat 10th Gen Intel, since I really prefer AMD over Intel nowadays. Will these new CPUs launch a new chipset? X670 for example? Since I might go for X570 if not for the PCIe Gen 4. 

Furthermore, the true reason I planned to change my whole system is because I will be moving from Mexico to Canada, and moving pc parts is very risky (they're treated extremely roughly) but also expensive (needing to pay additional taxes as well as separate shipping), so big parts such as motherboards, AIOs and PSUs would be better to buy new.

I'm not sure if they'd release X670 anytime soon, but it won't be necessary since if you need PCIe Gen 4, you can get an X570 board

Quote or Tag people so they know that you've replied.

28 minutes ago, NovaTronG said:

Other details:

Existing parts lists (This is my idea so far):

- Intel Core i7-10700k

- Asus Z490-E Gaming

- Corsair Vengeance RGB Pro 16GB 3200MHz CL16 (or maybe keep the 16 GB 3000MHz CL15 kit I currently have, help with this please).

- Asus RTX 3070 Strix

- Corsair H100i Pro Elite Capellix

- Corsair RM750x

- Corsair 465X RGB

- Will be reusing my storage drives.

- Ryzen 7 2700X

- Asus X470-F Strix

- 2 M.2 NVMe 512GB SSDs

- 2TB Seagate Barracuda

- Evga SuperNova 850 G2

- NZXT S340

yeah wait until Zen 3 launches. i would keep your current mobo and ram. if you wanted you could also buy the 3070 before then so you have the GPU upgrade sooner.

F@H [] Autobiography [] 

Main Desktop and Folding Rig :

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-9400f

Gpu : GTX 1070 Founder's Edition
Psu : Seasonic G-650

Ram : G.Skill Aegis 4x8gb DDR4 2666MHz (14-15-15-34)

External Storage : 8tb Western Digital Elements Usb 3.0 Hard Drive

Storage : Samsung 970 Evo 500GB

Motherboard : ASUS B365 Pro-4 m

Gaming Laptop :

Spoiler

Cpu : I7-8750H 2.2ghz 

Gpu : GTX 1070 Max Q 

Psu : laptop b r i c k 

Ram : 16gb 2666Mhz 

Storage : 512Gb SATA SSD 

Motherboard : it's a laptop.....

old boomer (currently non-functional)

Spoiler

Cpu : I5-6400 2.7ghz (doesn't have a heatsink)

Gpu : Asus RX580 8gb (might sell)

Psu : EVGA 500 watt 80 plus

Ram : 16gb DDR3 1400mhz

Storage : 1tb Toshiba HDD (currently in main pc)

Motherboard : Generic ASUS pre-built motherboard

Just now, Tika said:

yeah wait until Zen 3 launches. i would keep your current mobo and ram. if you wanted you could also buy the 3070 before then so you have the GPU upgrade sooner.

lol, he better have magic on his side if he wants to get one.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

OP, would you do something like this?

Its a Cosair ICUE bassed buils, if you want RGB. if you dont ill redo it. I left 400cad for the CPU.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler

46 minutes ago, HelpfulTechWizard said:

OP, would you do something like this?

Its a Cosair ICUE bassed buils, if you want RGB. if you dont ill redo it. I left 400cad for the CPU.

This build seems really nice TBH, I will wait for something like the R7 5700X for a build like this. I just have some doubts regards this build: Isn't a 360mm AIO a bit too much? For the OC I plan to do (if I do) I believe the 240mm from the capellix would be enough. Also, new i've heard new RTX cards support PCIe 4.0, so wouldn't a X570 board make more sense? Something like the X570 Aorus elite. Those 32GB would actually be extremely useful for my necessities, but for ryzen maybe 3600MHz? Other than that I believe this could be it!

1 minute ago, NovaTronG said:

Also, new i've heard new RTX cards support PCIe 4.0, so wouldn't a X570 board make more sense?

B550 supports pcie gen 4.

1 minute ago, NovaTronG said:

Those 32GB would actually be extremely useful for my necessities, but for ryzen maybe 3600MHz?

Yeah, just a fyi, there is not a option hot cosair RGB for 3600 cl16. Also, 3200cl16 and 3600cl18 preform near the exact same.

3 minutes ago, NovaTronG said:

For the OC I plan to do (if I do) I believe the 240mm from the capellix would be enough

If you want you could do that, but one of the fans that comes with it is 40cad. So I thought the price difference would have been fine for the small increase in cooling and other fan that comes with it.

Id you do the faster (albeit cheeper, rgb ram has a high markup) memory and the cheeper AIO, I would spend more on the 850w varient of the PSU, and maybe a 3080s or ti depending on cost and when they come out.

Bios database

prior build:

Spoiler