Please help me with a new gaming build

ganderd

Hi guys and girls,

I recently felt like it was time to upgrade my setup into something more current gen! Right now I am running a pretty basic gaming pc I built some years back, but sadly the whole system is starting to fail and is semi on fire every time I play any games. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions to a gaming setup that would last me a while again (preferably a year or 3).

I'm not the richest man so please be kind to my budget   :  ^)

The current pc's specs are:

• Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate
  • CPU: Intel core i5-4460 boxed
  • GPU: Asus r9 290 DC2OC 4GD5
  • PSU: Corsair VS650 80Plus
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU
  • Case: Corsair Carbide 300R
  • Extra Fan: Scythe slip stream 1200Rpm 120MM
  • storage: Seagate 1TB SSHD

Thankyou in advance

Budget (including currency): around 1500 Euros if possible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mainly gaming with a side of streaming in the future.

Other details: no other details

58 minutes ago, ganderd said:

Hi guys and girls,

I recently felt like it was time to upgrade my setup into something more current gen! Right now I am running a pretty basic gaming pc I built some years back, but sadly the whole system is starting to fail and is semi on fire every time I play any games. I would like to know if anyone has any suggestions to a gaming setup that would last me a while again (preferably a year or 3).

I'm not the richest man so please be kind to my budget   :  ^)

The current pc's specs are:

• Motherboard: MSI B85-G41 PC Mate
  • CPU: Intel core i5-4460 boxed
  • GPU: Asus r9 290 DC2OC 4GD5
  • PSU: Corsair VS650 80Plus
  • RAM: Crucial Ballistix BLS2CP4G3D1609DS1S00CEU
  • Case: Corsair Carbide 300R
  • Extra Fan: Scythe slip stream 1200Rpm 120MM
  • storage: Seagate 1TB SSHD

Thankyou in advance

Budget (including currency): around 1500 Euros if possible

Games, programs or workloads that it will be used for: mainly gaming with a side of streaming in the future.

Other details: no other details

Your description makes sense.  4/4 no OC is pretty firmly in the camp of “won’t play anything  much above 1080p or newer than early 2019.  More or less 90+% of anything that runs on an xbox1 or PS4 will run on that.  games are defined by the current generation of console.  The problem is the generation is changing. And the understanding of what the consoles will be is both not perfectly well known and shifting.  The attempt has mostly been to make a machine so strong that a console can’t possibly beat it in any metric.  A year ago it was assumed that any reasonably fast 6/12 cpu would be adequate because while we knew they were 8/16 we also”knew” they were fairly slow 8/16. 2.5ghz.  a lot of people bought 2600s and 3600s because it would be “enough”.
That “known” number however has shifted radically.  Latest numbers have been 8/16 well in excess of 3ghz.  This means 3600s are in trouble and 2600s are in serious danger. People who bought 3700xes should still be in the clear cpu wise though.  The GPU has been less known and storage less known than that.  Assessments for GPU have been between 5700xt and 2080S. Gradually increasing with time.  Now storage strangeness has entered the fray which makes everything more weird.  It’s become a very uncertain thing.

Myself what I am going to do is wait.  Once somebody gets their hands on an XBoxX or PS5 and actually does a full breakdown everything will become crystal clear.  The specs of the XboxX and the PS5 will not be changeable after release unless they release a new generation of console.  They will be set in stone.  So the moment this happens everything will become crystal clear.  Everyone will l ow what it takes to make a functional gaming rig throughout the life of these consoles, which is generally considered to be around 5 years.  My current system runs, so I wait to find out what is in those boxes.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

Note: the ‘current pc’s specs’ is what i have right now. (The four year old, semi on fire all the time, gaming pc)

1 minute ago, ganderd said:

Note: the ‘current pc’s specs’ is what i have right now. (The four year old, semi on fire all the time, gaming pc)

Ok.  Can you live with that for another month or so?

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

On 10/1/2020 at 5:52 PM, Bombastinator said:

Ok.  Can you live with that for another month or so?

Yes I can! Could i ask why?

thankyou for responding :)