Battery is Dumb on my Latitude e7270

DangerJPainter

Hello great people on the forums.  So beginning of 2020 I picked up an aftermarket (probably enterprise) used Dell Latitude E7270 on ebay.  It works well and I mostly use it for my linux learning and playing around.  I have used it in windows and have had the same issue.  After the battery is fully charged and starts to drain, when it hits about 75% it drops to 5%.  This is actually not correct and something is informing the OS that the battery is about to die.  I can actually force the computer on after getting it past 0% reading and use it for a few more hours.

I have power cycled it a few times full drains and recharges.  Dell diag finds the battery fine.  I have unseated and reseated the connecter a few times as I have done some minor cleanup inside.  

I am planning to just replace the battery but I wanted to see if anyone here has seen this kind of issue.  I dont want to replace the battery and then have the new battery do the same thing because its something else causing the glitch.  So checking if its just the battery itself or anything else?

Thanks in Advance!

I don't know what causes this, or how to fix it, but I've certainly seen this happen before with old batteries. Seeing how it's happening in both Linux and Windows says it's 100% of physical battery issue.

ask me about my homelab

on a personal quest convincing the general public to return to the glory that is 12" laptops.

cheap and easy cable management is my fetish.

Thanks for the info from your experience! Makes it a bit better to bite down on a new battery to replace knowing that its just isolated in the battery itself!

22 hours ago, Skipple said:

I don't know what causes this, or how to fix it, but I've certainly seen this happen before with old batteries. Seeing how it's happening in both Linux and Windows says it's 100% of physical battery issue.

4 hours ago, artuc said:

Is there a battery calibration BIOS option ?

Not that I have found, i can check bios again and poke around.  It is a dell afterall

• 2 months later...

BUMP:

Yeah so i got a new battery and for two weeks everything is fine.  Just last night it died on me.  Thought the battery was drained.  So i charged it.  Nope, just magically ubuntu no longer identifies the battery installed and has a very hard time running if i can get it to turn on without the AC cable plugged in.

Any idea what this could be? I hate to have to wipe hte machine and start it over again as a hard fix.  But not seeing anything for reinstalling a package to fix battery?