PC No Longer Booting

strikerz911

Hello all,

Hoping to find some help here before shelling out more money.

I have a custom build I recently opened up to upgrade the wifi card + CPU cooler. I took advantage and reapplied thermal paste to both my CPU & GPU. After putting everything back together my computer turns on and my fans start for about 1 second and then shut off. The PC no longer boots. I've attempted to troubleshoot numerous ways such a removing components one-by-one & resetting my CMOS but the same issue persists. Today I went ahead and purchased a new mobo, ram, & cpu (took pc to Microcenter & they concluded both motherboard & cpu are defective) and the same exact thing is occurring! It leads me to believe probably a faulty PSU, but what could cause this? How did the PSU crap out all of a sudden, if this is the case? I'm always super careful when messing with my rig (make sure I touch metal before opening,, turning off pc completely, etc...) See old + new specs below.

Old Specs (owned since late 2015)

CPU: AMX FX-8350 

Motherboard: Gigabtye 970A-DS3P ATX

GPU: Powercolor Radeon R9 380 4GB

RAM: A-DATA XPG 16GB (2x8GB) DDR3 2133MHz

PSU: Corsair RMi 650W

New Specs (as of today)

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 3700X 3.6GHZ

Motherboard: Asus B550M-A Prime mATX

GPU: Powercolor Radeon R9 380 4GB

RAM: Corsair Vengeance LPX 32GB (2x16GB) DDR4 3000MHz

PSU: Corsair RMi 650W

Any advice?

How did microcenter tell that the CPU and Motherboard are defective? Did you say that your new mobo ram and cpu didnt fix it?

• 2 weeks later...
On 8/9/2020 at 8:05 AM, Avocheeseado said:

How did microcenter tell that the CPU and Motherboard are defective? Did you say that your new mobo ram and cpu didnt fix it?

Well I don't think they did a thorough check, as the technician simply said it was a defective motherboard and cpu and immediately offered to sell me replacement parts.

I've been through a similar situation, though in my case, the PSU didn't give me a problem until much later. My computer wouldn't boot up (no power, using the case power button, or shorting the pins). 

Took it to a store, they concluded it was a mobo problem. Replaced mobo but, a few months later, the same issue happens. Got a new power supply, now everything was working. What was so frustrating was the defective PSU was a SilverStone 80+ Gold modular, and the only one they had in stock was another Silverstone 650w non modular (80+ Bronze this time :D)

Get it to Microcenter, and have them test using a brand new PSU; the only way to find out.

Ryzen 5 3600 + CoolerMaster Hyper 212 LED Turbo | Gigabyte Aorus Elite B550 | G.Skill Trident-Z (2x8) DDR4-2133 | MSI GTX 1060 Gaming-X 6 GB | NZXT Phantom 410 | SilverStone 650W 80+ Bronze non-modular | Intel SSD 535 (240 GB) SSD - Kingston UV400 (480 GB) SSD - Sandisk SSD Plus (1 TB) SSD - Western Digital Caviar Blue (1 TB) HDD