Installing Windos 7 on M.2 SSD results in BOSD

Amitan117

Hello Guys,

As the topic says I'm running into an issue installing Windows 7 on an M.2 SSD. I was able to run the installer just fine and when it did its reboot the system attempts to load into windows and then I get a quick flash of a BSOD and then it reboots and goes into the options for booting into safe mode and such. An attempt to load into safe mode loads the core drivers but hangs at loading disks.sys and then the same flash BSOD and reboot. I have attempted 3 separate installs with 2 different install media one on a disc and the other downloaded from MS and loaded onto a USB both with the same result. I'm at the end of my rope and really hope anyone on here might have some insight.

SPECS:

AMD Ryzen 5 3600

16GB RAM

Asrock B550m PRO4

RTX 2070

WD Greed M.2 2280 SSD 240GB

EVGA 500W 80+ Bronze PSU

I don't have a log file for the BSOD error and would happily provide it if I knew a way to access those logs without booting into Windows. Thanks in advance for any help you are able to provide.

Regards,

Ian Mastin

windows 7 most likely has no disk controller software for the board , normally you would load that driver prior to installing windows but windows 7 might not be new enough to know that it needs the driver

Ive looked into that but cant seem to find a driver for it, Neither Asrock or WD have one that I can find on their website.... It is currently my working theory though...

2 minutes ago, Amitan117 said:

Ive looked into that but cant seem to find a driver for it, Neither Asrock or WD have one that I can find on their website.... It is currently my working theory though...

just so you're aware windows 7 in its stock form doesn't even have usb 3 support unless otherwise added.

you might be hitting a problem which usually happens in servers as they have complicated raid controllers that most windows server versions dont have drivers for. in those cases the drivers have to be loaded first outside of the OS before install. But in your case windows 7 might be installing a generic driver that the board can't use.

If I could get my hands on a driver I could load it into a new install media but I have been unable to locate one, If this is indeed my problem then im SOL unless there is a place I can get the correct driver from. I was really hoping the answer was something other than that and I'm just missing some crucial detail.

9 minutes ago, Amitan117 said:

If I could get my hands on a driver I could load it into a new install media but I have been unable to locate one, If this is indeed my problem then im SOL unless there is a place I can get the correct driver from. I was really hoping the answer was something other than that and I'm just missing some crucial detail.

you could just bite the bullet and install windows 10. I don't like it either , but I run a windows 7 compatible machine so idk what you're gonna do here.

Thanks, Ill keep digging and if I find a solution ill update here.