DDR4/RAM questions

Heya everyone!

I recently got a new PC and I'm still very new to how everything exactly works. I tried finding an answer to my question but I have no clue how to ask it in short.
I would like to know if I expand my current RAM set - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 2x8 CL16 XMP 2.0 - with the exact same set, will it work properly?

I'm not sure how to understand dual or quadruple channels, do they stay dual channel and work in pairs or do they change to quadruple automatically when there are 4 of the same sticks?

Specs ( if any more needed, I'll add them) 
Mobo ASUS ROG Strix B450-F GAMING

CPU : AMD Ryzen 7 3800X

After installing CPU-Z I can see my current RAMset runs at 1066.4MHz . Can I change the XMP profiles for higher MHz in BIOS without any danger of hurting my PC? Will this need to be changed again after adding another set of 2x8 RAM? So far I've not tinkered with anything so everything is still running in their original settings.

Any help, advice or tips are greatly appreciated, I'd love to learn more about it!

1 minute ago, Furretz said:

know if I expand my current RAM set - Corsair Vengeance RGB PRO DDR4 3200MHz 2x8 CL16 XMP 2.0 - with the exact same set, will it work properly?

If they are the exact same kit, then 99% of the time they will work. 

After installing CPU-Z I can see my current RAMset runs at 1066.4MHz . Can I change the XMP profiles for higher MHz in BIOS without any danger of hurting my PC? Will this need to be changed again after adding another set of 2x8 RAM? So far I've not tinkered with anything so everything is still running in their original settings.

The RAM is running at the base DDr4 speed of 2133MHZ. Try to boot using the XMP profiles. If it does not, come back and we’ll help you troubleshoot it!

5 minutes ago, Furretz said:

I'm not sure how to understand dual or quadruple channels, do they stay dual channel and work in pairs or do they change to quadruple automatically when there are 4 of the same sticks?

For consumer CPUs, they can only have single or double channel memory adding more than 2 sticks won't change anything.

Generally, if you pair two of the same kit together, it should work. It's not 100% certain, as they haven't been validated together, but I wouldn't worry too much about that. 

Dual and quad channel is less to do with the RAM itself and more about the CPU (or really, the memory controller on the CPU) and the motherboard. There's nothing special about RAM that makes it dual or quad channel, it's down to the board and CPU to support dual/quad (or triple, in rare cases) channel support. 

In your case, the CPU and motherboard do not support quad channel, so even with 4 DIMMS, they'll continue to operate in dual channel mode, with 2 DIMMS in each channel. 

Yes, you can change your XMP profile to 3200MHz to get the RAM running at full speed. CPU-Z will show the RAM's actual speed though, which would be 1600MHz in the case of your RAM. This is due to the "DDR" part of DDR4, which stands for Double Data Rate. This means that the memory performs two operations per clock cycle, which makes the clock speed effectively 1600MHz x2, or 3200MHz. 

@gloop @Oshino Shinobu Do I still need to test stability after changing the profiles? As far as I could understand, those profiles are there to ensure I won't mess anything up compared to manually tuning my CPU/RAM. When I do change the profile, do I need to adjust anything at my CPU so it works (better)? I know these are weird questions but I rather understand what I'm doing then just doing it :P I'll first wait for a reply before I do anything wrong.

@Darpyface Thank you for helping to clear that up! 

2 minutes ago, Furretz said:

@gloop @Oshino Shinobu Do I still need to test stability after changing the profiles? As far as I could understand, those profiles are there to ensure I won't mess anything up compared to manually tuning my CPU/RAM. When I do change the profile, do I need to adjust anything at my CPU so it works (better)? I know these are weird questions but I rather understand what I'm doing then just doing it :P I'll first wait for a reply before I do anything wrong.

I'd suggest running something like memtest for about an hour or so just to check for full stability.

As for the CPU, there is FLCK (i think) but @TofuHaroto would be more knowledgeable on that front

2 minutes ago, Furretz said:

Normally, you should be good to go after setting the XMP profile. If you find you get crashing or performance issues after setting the XMP profile, you could start a topic for that issue so you can get some help for it. 

7 minutes ago, Furretz said:

Do I still need to test stability

Use memtest86 and OCCT to verify that it's stable yes.

7 minutes ago, Furretz said:

do I need to adjust anything at my CPU so it works (better)?

FCLK will be set automatically 

If it's not stable then we can do a couple of things to fix it ;)

Edited by TofuHaroto

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

@gloop @Oshino Shinobu @TofuHaroto Thank you all so much for the insanely fast replies! I'll be on my way to change the XMP profile and run both memtest86 and OCCT afterwards. If any problems pop up, I'll be back for another question round hehe xD 

One more question for @TofuHaroto , is there any particular order you recommend me running the stresstests in? 

is there any particular order you recommend me running the stresstests in? 

No not really 

Just do both memtest86 and OCCT just to be extra sure 

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

imo memtest86 gives errors sooner than OCCT or Prime95 ...

just for convenience.

I edit my posts more often than not