1060 6gb with 250W psu

elcr

HI, new here!

I recantly bought a used pc, a Fujitsu with an D3162-A motherboard , i5 - 3470 and gtx 1060 6gb. The problem is that it only has a 250W psu and the guy from a repair shop said that you cant replace it. 

Another problem is that it runs loud and hot, the cpu without any  no work is around 60-65 degree celcius the graphic card is ok around 35-40 degree. There is only one fan on case and i runs only when doing gaming or heavy stuf it dosent run all the time, mainwhile the graphic card fan are almost always running at 100% speed. And the cpu fan..i does not have one.

So far no blue screen of death or anything like that. Can you suggest me anything that i can do?

don't run prime 95 and furmark at the same time. the psu won't handle it. otherwise, enjoy! try to give it a good clean, maybe change the cpu cooler?

2 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

don't run prime 95 and furmark at the same time. the psu won't handle it. otherwise, enjoy! try to give it a good clean, maybe change the cpu cooler?

thanks, I dont know about that cpu fan it has a heatsink but i dont see any fan but when i run testes it shows me that i have 3 fans on my system... i dont understand it 

5 minutes ago, elcr said:

thanks, I dont know about that cpu fan it has a heatsink but i dont see any fan but when i run testes it shows me that i have 3 fans on my system... i dont understand it 

can you open the case and share a photo of how it looks inside?

3 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

can you open the case and share a photo of how it looks inside?

20200626_143526.jpg

20200626_143634.jpg

20200626_143648.jpg

thanks for the photos. you need to either fit a fan on the heatsink or get a new cpu cooler altogether 

10 minutes ago, boggy77 said:

thanks for the photos. you need to either fit a fan on the heatsink or get a new cpu cooler altogether 

what about that main fan that does not run all the time? Should it run all the time

21 minutes ago, elcr said:

what about that main fan that does not run all the time? Should it run all the time

depends on the bios settings. it may be set based on cpu temps or on mobo temps. you can set it to run full speed all the time if you want.

That heatsink looks like its for a server.. and requires a high rate of airflow to keep it cool. I could be wrong, and probably am. Right now it is basically a passive cooler, and that's why your CPU is so hot. I wouldn't run anything that would stress it. Zip tie a fan to it, problem solved 👍

AMD R7 5800X3D | Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 EVO, 1x T30

Asus Crosshair VIII Dark Hero | 32GB G.Skill Trident Z @ 3733C14

Zotac 4070 Ti Trinity OC @ 3060/1495 | WD SN850, SN850X, SN770

Seasonic Vertex GX-1000 | Fractal Torrent Compact RGB, Many CFM's

You need a rear exhaust fan at minimum!

Your GPU is dumping air into the case (as it's not a blower style). With no where to go the heat will just build up and your CPU cooler has no way to move heat away from it.

So yeah rear exhaust fan and see if you strap a fan onto the heat sink or near it, to move air through it.

• 1 month later...

Did a quick google search. Seems like that CPU heatsink has a small fan in the middle (see image, also YT vid shows fan https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=9Rv1JUkQAm4). As everyone else has been recommending. Get an exhaust fan. What you could do is put the front intake fan in the rear but that would reduce fresh air to your GPU. Alternatively leave your side panel off and let a small desk fan blow into the chassis.

Honestly surprised to see a 1060 run on a 250W. I'm curious to see for how long. I recently got a gtx 950 running on a 250W PSU (no 6 pin connector on either). I used MSI Afterburner to lower the GPU power limit and also underclock it a bit (for safety reasons). 

image.png