Need help - Power to Motherboard but PC won’t start - SOLVED

MattBarnettNZ
Go to solution Solved by MattBarnettNZ,

Final update

Have just put everything back together and installed my new case fans and CPU fan. It all works fine now, turns out I’m a bit of an idiot and overlooked that I had also recently replaced some other cabling (SATA cables) and they seemed to be faulty which is what was causing the issue when trying to boot.

All has been resolved and PC is working just fine. Have a good weekend everyone 😀

Hi Team,

I started a build a couple of weeks ago and began with some fairly simple fans etc on it, I have now decided to move on from my cheap cooler master cpu fan to a Noctua NH-15D to increase my cooling of the cpu dramatically. Once I had finished installing the new cpu fan for some reason I now cannot boot. I will get LEDs on my motherboard but when I press the start button, or try and start using a screw driver on the pins on the motherboard I can’t even get any of the fans to spin. I have checked all of the connections, pulled everything out and replaced it again and removed the CMOS battery to reset that as well but none of it has worked. Any advice on what the issue may be?

My System is:

Motherboard: TUF Z390-Plus Gaming (Wifi)

CPU: Intel I7-9700KF

GPU: Sapphire Nitro+ RX 5700XT

RAM: 32GB Hyper X 3200mhz

Storage: 500GB Crucial M.2 and 1TB Crucial SSD

PSU: EVGA 700W Gold Semi Modular

Case: Be Quiet! Silent Base 801

Any help would be much appreciated.

Cheers,

Matt 

I’ve thought about doing that, would just plugging the fan cable into the connector be enough to check if that is the issue?

If that is the issue how do you fix it?

53 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

Can you try putting the old cooler back on and seeing if it works still?

Just tried it and it didn’t start. Thinking it may be a motherboard problem?

Motherboard or PSU sound like the most likely. You can try shorting the power on the PSU to test it separately from the motherboard. Shorting some pins on the 24 pin connector should do the trick (though I don't remember which). If the power supply fan turns on then it is probably not the issue.

8 minutes ago, Izyalin said:

Motherboard or PSU sound like the most likely. You can try shorting the power on the PSU to test it separately from the motherboard. Shorting some pins on the 24 pin connector should do the trick (though I don't remember which). If the power supply fan turns on then it is probably not the issue.

I will try that thank you. Only had it for a couple of weeks and has been working fine so it would be interesting to know if it is the PSU.

Has anyone had to deal with returning PC parts under warranty before?

1 minute ago, MattBarnettNZ said:

Has anyone had to deal with returning PC parts under warranty before?

Yes I did buy a faulty PSU once and was able to return it without much hassle, since I bought it in person. I explained that the item was defective and got a refund from the store the same day.

Thanks for your help guys I think I’ve got it fixed. After doing a PSU test (paper clip etc) and that passing, I deciding to plug it all back in to see what else might be the issue. PC seemed to boot fine so going to get everything fully back together and see how it goes.

Thanks again :)

Final update

Have just put everything back together and installed my new case fans and CPU fan. It all works fine now, turns out I’m a bit of an idiot and overlooked that I had also recently replaced some other cabling (SATA cables) and they seemed to be faulty which is what was causing the issue when trying to boot.

All has been resolved and PC is working just fine. Have a good weekend everyone 😀