'Best' storage solution for a editing machine.

Proctie
Go to solution Solved by wpirobotbuilder,

Something like this for his backup storage. Unfortunately that costs very close to his budget limits, but it's what RAID storage costs. It also includes the two 3TB drives. 

This scratch disk would be good. Samsung has proven that their TLC SSDs are able to withstand heavy write loads.

These have been mentioned before in the comments. If his needs really are simplicity and functionality then this is all he should need.

Hey guys,

My friend which is a part time freelancer in media production wants to upgrade his machine but has a few questions that I even had to get back to him with despite my experience in the field..
I work in a studio and we all work on rigs that are hooked up to a online storage and only has 480GB of offline storage from two OCZ RevoDrives which are used for project-to-project scratch disks and are backed up from the online server solution.

The bottom line is that I'm not very familiar with full offline storage solutions on the 'pro-sumer' lvl and was hoping that you guys could answer or possible stick a solution together.

He has two 128GB SSD's in RAID0 for OS and programs right now, and a 1TB WD Sata 6GB/s for his offline storage of both his preview files, export files and project files. The biggest problem here would be that he's screwed if his 1TB drive fails.. That is why he asked me what to add to his system or if he should change it entirely.

My thoughts: (Keep in mind that I'm no expert in hard drives, how they behave optimally and the lifespan of particular usage scenarios.)
I'm thinking that his RAID0 solution is fine for OS and programs. However the single HDD solution for 'scratch disk' is terrible. Also it's a bit slow, so I'm thinking either getting two 250GB 10k RPM WD VelociRaptors in RAID0 to use as project-to-project scratch disk since he works with 5D Mark III ALL-I and RAW footage and then an external setup with e-sata to dump important files like exports and raw files for long term storage just like we do with our online solution. However the external solution for him would be something like two 3TB WD Reds for a NAS-like environment in RAID1 for redundancy.

I'm thinking of these drives since they aren't that expensive yet fast for his usage scenario: http://www.wd.com/en/products/products.aspx?id=20

His current workflow: Dump footage from CF card to a 1TB WD Drive, import in AE for debayering, export to same HDD as movie files, import in Pr for editing, export to same HDD.

What I think his workflow should be like: Dump from CF card to 3TB RAID1 for backup. Import in AE for debayering, export to 2x250GB RAID0 as movie files, import in Pr for editing, export to 3TB RAID1.

This way the first thing he does is to make a backup of his footage since he works for clients and can't afford to loose the footage. Then when debayering the .RAW files (essentially converting them to a editable video file format) he's exporting the video file formats to his scratch disk (2x250GB RAID0) for editing in Pr with a fast response, when done he can either delete the debayered files or move them to the 3TB unit for long term storage. That way he keeps his scratch disk clean and ready for next project.

I would like to hear your thoughts about storage solutions for his particular situation and what you think might work better and why :)

My solution is quite pricey, but I would highly suggest it for redundancy, speed, and storage. You could get 4 Samsung 512gb 840 PROS in RAID10. It's kinda of like 2 Raid1 arrays in Raid0

The best thing is to move to 100% ssd on the working maschine and backing it up overnight to the storage server.

The way it should be done is: copy from the CF to sdd, backup to server while working, when done and checked, than delete the files from the CF, work on ssd over the day, start final backup at the end of the day, leave the computer on, so it can turn off automaticly.

By doing it this way, you save waiting time, and the files are on a save on a server.

worst case would be that you loose the work of one day.

As a server some 3TB HDDs, in raid1,5,6,... what ever you like.

And dont forget to have a external backup incase house burns or something else shooting out the server 

i am not a native speaker of the english language

[spoiler=My Rig: ]CPU: i7-3770k@Stock | Ram: 3x4GB@1600Mhz | Graka: 660TI@Stock | Storage: 250GB 840Evo, 1x1TB,2x2TB,2x640GB,1x500GB (JBOD) + NAS: DLINK DNS-320 2x3TB Raid1

The best thing is to move to 100% ssd on the working maschine and backing it up overnight to the storage server.

The way it should be done is: copy from the CF to sdd, backup to server while working, when done and checked, than delete the files from the CF, work on ssd over the day, start final backup at the end of the day, leave the computer on, so it can turn off automaticly.

By doing it this way, you save waiting time, and the files are on a save on a server.

worst case would be that you loose the work of one day.

As a server some 3TB HDDs, in raid1,5,6,... what ever you like.

And dont forget to have a external backup incase house burns or something else shooting out the server 

Moving to all SSD could be a solution. He's investing in offline storage for backup in terms of making a NAS which backs up like you mention, but he's looking to get a good scratch disk solution. Maybe it is best to invest in a SSD solution however what about the lifespan of a SSD constantly being used as a scratch disk? I've heard that it's not 'healthy' so he'll be looking at choosing between 2 250GB 10k RPM WD VelociRaptors in RAID0 or a single 250 or 256 GB SSD for about the same price.

2 250GB WD VelociRaptors are 1180 DKK (Danish krone)

and 1 250 GB Samsung 840 Evo is 1083 DKK

The thing is if he can make due with only 250GB of scratch disk space and if it's not a 'big deal' to use SSD's for that purpose, then that would be the better choice. However he's getting double the storage space with the VelociRaptors and they are fast enough in RAID0 to fit his needs.

If you'll give me some time, I can come up with something. However I have to drive to class in about 15 minutes so I can share my thoughts when I get there.

Is he using Windows or Mac? Any budget constraints? Local or remote storage? Storage quantities? Performance requirements? Simple or are you willing to use a complex solution that you have to manage? Additional functionality?

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

If you'll give me some time, I can come up with something. However I have to drive to class in about 15 minutes so I can share my thoughts when I get there.

Is he using Windows or Mac? Any budget constraints? Local or remote storage? Storage quantities? Performance requirements? Simple or are you willing to use a complex solution that you have to manage? Additional functionality?

Thank you for taking the time to think about this, he's going to decide when I have an answer for him and I'll wait till the weekend when he comes over.

He's using Windows. Budget between 5 and 600 USD (scratch disk and backup solution). Local storage. Between 250 and 500GB of scratch disk storage and around 3TB backup storage (The storage quantities aren't limited and he's open for whatever doesn't break the budget but around those numbers is the intended range). High performance (SSD or RAID0) for scratch disk, backup/storage doesn't have to be high performance. Just the link between the PC and the backup storage, like e-sata, firewire or USB 3.0 (LAN) network connected might also work. Simple solution with none to minimal management, no unnecessary functionality.

Something like this for his backup storage. Unfortunately that costs very close to his budget limits, but it's what RAID storage costs. It also includes the two 3TB drives. 

This scratch disk would be good. Samsung has proven that their TLC SSDs are able to withstand heavy write loads.

These have been mentioned before in the comments. If his needs really are simplicity and functionality then this is all he should need.

I do not feel obliged to believe that the same God who has endowed us with sense, reason and intellect has intended us to forgo their use, and by some other means to give us knowledge which we can attain by them. - Galileo Galilei
Build Logs: Tophat (in progress), DNAF | Useful Links: How To: Choosing Your Storage Devices and Configuration, Case Study: RAID Tolerance to Failure, Reducing Single Points of Failure in Redundant Storage , Why Choose an SSD?, ZFS From A to Z (Eric1024), Advanced RAID: Survival Rates, Flashing LSI RAID Cards (alpenwasser), SAN and Storage Networking

Thank you. It's exactly what he need for a guy who just got into professional videography. This will due for a long time, and when his backup space clutters up he can always look at cloud solutions or even changing / upgrading hard drives in the NAS.

The scratch disk is fine in regards of space, so this is his setup right now: 2x 120GB Corsair SSD in RAID0 for OS and programs, 1x 250GB Samsung 840 EVO as scratch disk and 2x 3TB WD drives in a NAS config wired up with gigabit ethernet.

The items have been purchased and will arrive in 1-2 working days. I'll update this post if anything comes up, but for now thanks for the advice :)