No Display on Monitor! GPU Upgrade

I'll make this as simple as poossible to understand.

I built a new Ryzen PC (important, No iGPU) early last month. I paired it with a GTX 970 intending to upgrade. The PC worked perfect.

I found a GTX 980 for the same price I bought the 970 for, so I ordered it and sold my 970, free performance :D

Sad story, GTX 980 arrived today, plugged it in and there is no output on the display. Nothing at all at any point. Now for some things I've done and noticed.

Yes, I have made sure everything is connected properly. I have cleared the CMOS both by taking out the battery and by using a screwdriver to the pins.

I noticed that when powering down the PC with the GPU in it, it will shut off instantly, as soon as I press the power button.

When the GPU is not in the PC when powering down, it will shut off similar to what it would when it's in Windows, slightly delayed.

Does this mean that absolutely nothing is happening when the GPU is in the PC? I'm not sure.

The card is a Asus Strix GTX 980. It has 3 x DP, 1 x DVI & 1 X HDMI port.

I have tried both the DVI and HDMI port with different monitors and different cables. No luck.

Unfortunately, I do not have a monitor which supports Displayport or a DP to HDMI adapter so I cannot test them.

I'm guessing the previous card owner used the Displayport. Would this be why it's not working for me?

Would buying a Displayport (source) to HDMI (output) adapter work for me?

I have noticed cards in the past only work with a specific output type which they are used to.

The last thing I want to do is take apart the PC or taking out the CPU or other parts etc.

Please share any knowledge you may have which could help.

Thanks!

Pictures of Card:

20200605_132721.jpg

received_276224577072808.jpeg

9 minutes ago, alanp1995 said:

I'll make this as simple as poossible to understand.

I built a new Ryzen PC (important, No iGPU) early last month. I paired it with a GTX 970 intending to upgrade. The PC worked perfect.

I found a GTX 980 for the same price I bought the 970 for, so I ordered it and sold my 970, free performance :D

Sad story, GTX 980 arrived today, plugged it in and there is no output on the display. Nothing at all at any point. Now for some things I've done and noticed.

Yes, I have made sure everything is connected properly. I have cleared the CMOS both by taking out the battery and by using a screwdriver to the pins.

I noticed that when powering down the PC with the GPU in it, it will shut off instantly, as soon as I press the power button.

When the GPU is not in the PC when powering down, it will shut off similar to what it would when it's in Windows, slightly delayed.

Does this mean that absolutely nothing is happening when the GPU is in the PC? I'm not sure.

I have tried both the DVI and HDMI port with different monitors and different cables. No luck.

Unfortunately, I do not have a monitor which supports Displayport or a DP to HDMI adapter so I cannot test them.

I'm guessing the previous card owner used the Displayport. Would this be why it's not working for me?

Would buying a Displayport (source) to HDMI (output) adapter work for me?

I have noticed cards in the past only work with a specific output type which they are used to.

The last thing I want to do is take apart the PC or taking out the CPU or other parts etc.

Please share any knowledge you may have which could help.

Thanks!

where did you buy the card from?

10 minutes ago, Elements6007 said:

where did you buy the card from?

eBay.

Also just noticed leaving the PC powered on with the GPU in it for a while, the pipes get pretty hot to touch.

1 minute ago, alanp1995 said:

eBay.

Also just noticed leaving the PC powered on with the GPU in it for a while, the pipes get pretty hot to touch.

was it "used"? 

hmmm interesting

1 minute ago, Elements6007 said:

was it "used"? 

hmmm interesting

Yes it was used for sure. Screws were opened on back. Somone definitely reapplied the thermal paste at some point. I also noticed inside the card something slippered sprayed over the vrm heatsink.

Some photos:

20200605_132721.jpg

4 minutes ago, alanp1995 said:

Yes it was used for sure. Screws were opened on back. Somone definitely reapplied the thermal paste at some point. I also noticed inside the card something slippered sprayed over the vrm heatsink.

Some photos:

20200605_132721.jpg

oooffff.............. im not sure if theres anthing that can fix that........... the paste is all over that chip....................................... does it still have a warranty on it? and btw maybe ask the seller what he did to it and if it worked in the first place........ 

also if the fans spin and theres lights it may be a vbios problem.................

44 minutes ago, Elements6007 said:

oooffff.............. im not sure if theres anthing that can fix that........... the paste is all over that chip....................................... does it still have a warranty on it? and btw maybe ask the seller what he did to it and if it worked in the first place........ 

also if the fans spin and theres lights it may be a vbios problem.................

The seller sold it as working. It's looking like I may have been scammed. I'm going to clean up the thermal paste and give it another go. The lights do show when the PSU is connected to it and the fans spin when starting up, what is a vbios problem?

If it shuts off instantly when pressing the power button, it isn't posting. What exact model of GTX 980 is this?

3 hours ago, alanp1995 said:

The seller sold it as working. It's looking like I may have been scammed. I'm going to clean up the thermal paste and give it another go. The lights do show when the PSU is connected to it and the fans spin when starting up, what is a vbios problem?

yea......... unfortunately probably. ok sounds good.....

the card may be bricked because of the something being corrupt in the vbios (which happend to my card i got off of ebay and had the exact same problem, and which was a very bad decision to buy it......) its either something that got messed up with that thermal paste or its bricked..........

4 hours ago, Elements6007 said:

the paste is all over that chip

No it's not conductive 

Nothing is wrong about that 

5 hours ago, alanp1995 said:

Try putting it in a system with some graphics output and check if the card is detected 

If so try flashing it with a consumer firmware it could be used for mining

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

7 minutes ago, TofuHaroto said:

No it's not conductive 

oh..........but isnt that a bit to much paste tho?

Just now, Elements6007 said:

oh..........but isnt that a bit to much paste tho?

It's alot but that's not the case 

Most thermal paste isn't conductive and "alot" of thermal paste won't brick a gpu

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

On 6/5/2020 at 5:47 PM, aranurea said:

If it shuts off instantly when pressing the power button, it isn't posting. What exact model of GTX 980 is this?

STRIX-GTX980-DC2OC-4GD5

On 6/5/2020 at 8:19 PM, TofuHaroto said:

It's alot but that's not the case 

Most thermal paste isn't conductive and "alot" of thermal paste won't brick a gpu

Yes I am aware of the conductivity of the thermal paste. I cleaned the paste shown in the pictures and while doing so I noticed a piece of metal lodged between two transistors (I think that is the little metal things around the chip), I removed that and reapplied thermal paste thinking I'd found the problem but no luck. Today I'm just going to reflow the GPU, nothing to lose at this stage and would be cool if it works.

On 6/5/2020 at 8:12 PM, TofuHaroto said:

No it's not conductive 

Try putting it in a system with some graphics output and check if the card is detected 

If so try flashing it with a consumer firmware it could be used for mining

Have zero access to another PC and won't have for another while thanks to this virus pandemic. I messaged a friend to ask him to do it but he didn't want to open up his PC.

On 6/7/2020 at 4:58 AM, alanp1995 said:

Have zero access to another PC and won't have for another while thanks to this virus pandemic. I messaged a friend to ask him to do it but he didn't want to open up his PC.

Is he a real friend then...? jk