Mellanox X-2

shinegull

I've just noticed that I seem to have lost the use on my 10 gig nic. It's a Mellanox X-2 single port sfp+.

It's connected to a mikrotik switch. I've tried switching the port its connected to on the switch but nada so far.

When I look into Windows 10 settings, it stats that the card is "Connected to Unknown Network, no traffic"

Is it the cable, or is it the nic? or is the card just loose somewhere?

I had the same issue until I plugged it straight into the router. I found out that netgear routers have issues with switches

13 hours ago, Orange_dogg said:

I had the same issue until I plugged it straight into the router. I found out that netgear routers have issues with switches

im not sure im using a netgear router... the nic is connected to mikrotik switch which is connected to a tp-link powerline adapter, which is connected to a telus router modem thing. iddnt have a problem before etiehr, it just happened recently, probably withing the last few days.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

Are you using DAC or fiber transceivers?

the cable is sfp+ to sfp+ aside from the head, just looks almost like a standard lan cable. Im thinking maybe the nic overheated or omething maybe? i kinda stuck in a place without a ton of airflow, and the nic seems to get pretty toasty. though a part of me hopes its software rather than hardware. a new nic is like 120 to 200 average for me.

In the U.S. those Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards can be picked up for $20~30.

Sounds like you're using a DAC cable. I would try using a different cable. If the problem could be heat try putting a fan on it.

1 hour ago, Windows7ge said:

In the U.S. those Mellanox ConnectX-2 cards can be picked up for $20~30.

Sounds like you're using a DAC cable. I would try using a different cable. If the problem could be heat try putting a fan on it.

I don't live in the states. I'm further up north of the states.

Anyways, i moved it to a different point with more airflow. Tried a different cable as well, so its probably the nic thats gonna need a replacement.

4 minutes ago, shinegull said:

Anyways, i moved it to a different point with more airflow. Tried a different cable as well, so its probably the nic thats gonna need a replacement.

Sounds about right with that level of troubleshooting. Sucks that they cost so much for you. That's the price I'd be paying for something new-ish. Newer at least.

What about ConnectX-3? Worse?

1 minute ago, Windows7ge said:

Sounds about right with that level of troubleshooting. Sucks that they cost so much for you. That's the price I'd be paying for something new-ish. Newer at least.

What about ConnectX-3? Worse?

I'm actually gonna replace it with an Asus 10gbps sfp+ card. its about 130 right now. which i chose mainly because it seems its got a bigger heatsink.

an X-2 is around 75 used or 150+ new

an X-3 is about 150+ whether its used or not.

and x-4 is about 350 new at a quick glance.

unless someone has a particularly bad experience with the asus card, ill try it out. it is my main port for internet with wifi as a backup. but i dont generally use the the full bandwidth that often. its only about once a week on average that i really need 10 gig speed for file transfers.