Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
BabyPCMR

Is This a Safe Power Supply?

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello all,

I just purchased an EVGA W1 500 watt power supply. It is in a system that has no dedicated GPU and only a 9600k, 8GB of 3200 RAM, and an SSD. PCPP is saying that the system consumes about 152 watts of power, i assume that is max?

I know this psu isn't high up on the tier list, but the options at my local micro center were this unit or a unit twice the cost and that is about it. I just want to make sure it's safe for long term use. Is there a high risk of danger if there is a power outage or a potential power surge afterwards? JonnyGuru gave the unit a pretty good score, but I could not really follow a lot of the jargon and methodologies they wrote about.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

I’m not a power supply expert but from what I researched online, I don’t think your going to have it blow up like some random Chinese power supply, without a gpu you are problably in a better position to not worry. Jonny gurus main complaint from the review I read was the 12v rail wasn’t excellent like the minor rails. Having no gpu though, it’s not like your pulling a lot anyways so I would not worry with your current setup, if you were to throw in a decent video card in there maybe consider investing in a higher quality psu, not saying this won’t work but the fact the company only gives it a 3 year warranty kind of Shows how it’s clearly a budget design and won’t last a significant amount of time that they can assure you for. Also If you are worried about power surges use a high quality surge protector. 

6 hours ago, BabyPCMR said:

Hello all,

I just purchased an EVGA W1 500 watt power supply. It is in a system that has no dedicated GPU and only a 9600k, 8GB of 3200 RAM, and an SSD. PCPP is saying that the system consumes about 152 watts of power, i assume that is max?

I know this psu isn't high up on the tier list, but the options at my local micro center were this unit or a unit twice the cost and that is about it. I just want to make sure it's safe for long term use. Is there a high risk of danger if there is a power outage or a potential power surge afterwards? JonnyGuru gave the unit a pretty good score, but I could not really follow a lot of the jargon and methodologies they wrote about.

Any input would be greatly appreciated, thank you!

As long as you're not using a discrete graphics card, that PSU is fine.

Just don't give it to someone that'll install a GTX 2080 in it down the road. :D