Anyone here used this cheap tool to delid?

About to delid my 8700k using this tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SKRB8C/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_791WEbD6R1B12

Anything I should know or do before attempting to delid with this tool? Saw a few videos on youtube and the guys kept turning for a good few minutes. I plan to have the vice hold the kit and so I only have to hold the hex key.

The description says to heat the CPU so glue doesn't stick. Any other tips from anyone who delided using this tool, especially using an 8700k?

Did it to a 7600K and an 8700K, it's pretty darn foolproof. You might be able to get it cheaper from ebay - I got mine for $5.

All you gotta do is put the cpu in the slot, line up the ihs with the block, and start cranking. I did practice it on a C2D but turns out even though it wasn't compatible it still worked fine. I've since used it to delid various other intel CPUs to be used as showpieces.

Daily Driver: Asus ROG Flow X13 - 5900HS/3050 Ti

Primary Desktop: NCase M1 - 5800X3D/RX 6950XT

Travel PC: Fractal Terra - 5800X/RTX 3060 Ti

I have too many computers. List here.

I cut the glue with a razor and the plate came right off.

Cost = 0$

35 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Cost = 0$

Now that is innovation ;)

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

55 minutes ago, ShrimpBrime said:

Cost = 0$

where can i get this free razor?

• CPU
    AMD Ryzen™ 7 3700X 4.3Ghz (-0.1V)
  • Motherboard
    MSI MEG X570 ACE
  • RAM
    G.SKILL Trident Z Royal Series 32GB (2 x 16GB) F4-3200C16D-32GTRS
  • GPU
    GeForce RTX™ 3060 EAGLE OC 12G (rev. 2.0)
  • Case
    Cooler Master MASTERBOX MB520 ARGB + Cooler Master MasterFan MF120R ARGB
  • Storage
    ADATA XPG SX8100 2TB PCIe Gen3x4 M.2 2280 SSD
    ADATA Ultimate SU800 2TB 2.5" SSD
    Toshiba X300 4TB 7200 RPM 128MB Cache
    TOSHIBA MG06 (MG06ACA10TE) 10TB 3.5 Inch 7200RPM Enterprise SATA Hard Drive
  • PSU
    Cooler Master MWE GOLD 750 FULL MODULAR
  • Display(s)
    Acer KG271B Gaming Monitor (HDR Ready 27" 1920X1080 240Hz) + MSI PRO MP241
  • Cooling
    Cooler Master MASTERLIQUID ML240R RGB
  • Keyboard
    MSI Vigor GK80 RED GAMING KEYBOARD
  • Mouse
    Razer Naga Hex Wraith Red Edition Wired Laser Mouse
  • Operating System
    Windows 10 Home
  • Router
    Asus ROG Rapture GT-AX 11000

10 minutes ago, ZephCloud said:

where can i get this free razor?

Dads tool box. 

Be careful with the razor method, don't expose too much of the blade otherwise you'll chip the die.

Definitely not speaking from experience and had to sell a 6600K for next to nothing :)))))

10 minutes ago, ShadowChaser said:

Be careful with the razor method, don't expose too much of the blade otherwise you'll chip the die.

Definitely not speaking from experience and had to sell a 6600K for next to nothing :)))))

Happens to the best of us lmao 😜

PC: Motherboard: ASUS B550M TUF-Plus, CPU: Ryzen 3 3100, CPU Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34, GPU: GIGABYTE WindForce GTX1650S, RAM: HyperX Fury RGB 2x8GB 3200 CL16, Case, CoolerMaster MB311L ARGB, Boot Drive: 250GB MX500, Game Drive: WD Blue 1TB 7200RPM HDD.

Peripherals: GK61 (Optical Gateron Red) with Mistel White/Orange keycaps, Logitech G102 (Purple), BitWit Ensemble Grey Deskpad. 

Audio: Logitech G432, Moondrop Starfield, Mic: Razer Siren Mini (White).

Phone: Pixel 3a (Purple-ish).

Build Log: 

19 hours ago, Gangstahfresh said:

About to delid my 8700k using this tool: https://www.amazon.com/dp/B078SKRB8C/ref=cm_sw_r_tw_dp_U_x_791WEbD6R1B12

Anything I should know or do before attempting to delid with this tool? Saw a few videos on youtube and the guys kept turning for a good few minutes. I plan to have the vice hold the kit and so I only have to hold the hex key.

The description says to heat the CPU so glue doesn't stick. Any other tips from anyone who delided using this tool, especially using an 8700k?

Rule :
If it's cheap, avoid it.

Don't buy cheap chinese delid kits.  I've read about a number of people having them destroy their CPU's.  And you're SOL if it destroys your CPU.  Buy something with an actual guarantee, like the Rockit cool or der8auer kit.

While 3d printing one yourself is possible, I would suggest only 3d printing direct die brackets and not delidders.

9 hours ago, ShadowChaser said:

Did it to a 7600K and an 8700K, it's pretty darn foolproof. You might be able to get it cheaper from ebay - I got mine for $5.

All you gotta do is put the cpu in the slot, line up the ihs with the block, and start cranking. I did practice it on a C2D but turns out even though it wasn't compatible it still worked fine. I've since used it to delid various other intel CPUs to be used as showpieces.

Awesome! Does the tool have an arrow or something that matches up with the arrow found on the CPU? Couldn't tell from the pictures. The rockit 88 does have that arrow so you can align CPU properly, guessing this tool no matter how you align it its okay as long as you make sure the tool is focusing the IHS and not the PCB?

11 hours ago, Gangstahfresh said:

Awesome! Does the tool have an arrow or something that matches up with the arrow found on the CPU? Couldn't tell from the pictures. The rockit 88 does have that arrow so you can align CPU properly, guessing this tool no matter how you align it its okay as long as you make sure the tool is focusing the IHS and not the PCB?

The orientation of the CPU in the tool does not technically matter, as I don't think it's possible for the block that moves the ihs to ever travel far enough to push into the die area.