Help with laser cutter/engraver purchase UK

Go to solution Solved by ColinLTT,

So, lets get some things out of the way first. 

There are many types of lasers. In order of expense (not every type, but consumer uses)

Diode -> CO2 -> YAG -> Fiber 

The first two, Diode and CO2, are what's in your price range. Unfortunately, they will NOT directly etch metal. The wavelength of light they emit just doesn't jive. You can use a spray like Cermark to mark directly on metal, but again, no direct ablation of metal. 

Going into YAG/Fiber laser sources starts getting way outside your price range ($25k+). 

I usually suggest most people buy a K40 type laser and do some small mods, or a slightly bigger machine with a Ruida control if they can. See this thread below

I'm in the market for a laser cutter/engraver, and I could use some help. 

I'm after something that can cut wood etc but strong enough to engrave metal, just aluminium would be fine but being able to work with steel would be a benefit. 

Bed size of about 200mm x 200mm would be plenty. 

As for software something that can take files from the personal use version of fusion 360 and jpeg images would be great.  

Safe for home use in a garage workshop I can hook it up to vent outside if needs be 

Max budget would be 2k GBP before shipping.  

Thanks for any help 

So, lets get some things out of the way first. 

There are many types of lasers. In order of expense (not every type, but consumer uses)

Diode -> CO2 -> YAG -> Fiber 

The first two, Diode and CO2, are what's in your price range. Unfortunately, they will NOT directly etch metal. The wavelength of light they emit just doesn't jive. You can use a spray like Cermark to mark directly on metal, but again, no direct ablation of metal. 

Going into YAG/Fiber laser sources starts getting way outside your price range ($25k+). 

I usually suggest most people buy a K40 type laser and do some small mods, or a slightly bigger machine with a Ruida control if they can. See this thread below