Search In
  • More options...
Find results that contain...
Find results in...
AtlanticCanuck

Tight Budget Gaming PC

Posted · Original PosterOP

Hello there.

Looking for assistance in trying to find the best parts to build a new gaming PC for my little brother. His old PC has essentially kicked the can and he’s in desperate need of a replacement. We’re able to scrap together a budget between $300-$400 CDN. My brother is one of those typical young teens kids who likes to play a lot of lower powered games like Minecraft, ROBLOX, Terraria, and some Fortnite.

His old computer has an old 250GB boot SSD from Kingston I put in a year or two ago so I’m able to salvage that for the new PC. However if someone could find a set up where you could fit in a 1TB hard drive for extra storage that’d be great. I’m mostly looking for parts from reliable stores like Amazon and NewEgg (ones that don’t cost much for shipping).

The closer to $300 the better without sacrificing too much performance. 

Thanks.

Gaming Laptop Specs:

Asus ROG STRIX GL703VM Gaming Laptop

Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Geforce GTX 1060 3G
16GB of RAM
256GB Boot SSD (NVMe)

1TB HDD
1TB External HDD

Desk Items and Peripherals:

Wavlink USB 3.0 Universal Dual Display Docking Station
Logitech G230 Headset
Corsair MM300 Extended
Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Logitech G710+
Two cheap Acer Monitors from Best Buy
Gamdias Hades M1 (For on the move)

It gets the job done ¯\_(ツ)_/¯

$300 canadian is ... ouch

can't salvage ram, PSU, case, anything else? wasn't a house fire, was it?

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Draws 400 watts under max load, for reference.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

what are you current specs?

CPU: AMD Ryzen 7 1700@3.8Ghz Heatsink: Gelid Phantom Black GPU: Sapphire RX 5700 XT RAM: Qidian DDR4 2x8GB 3000Mhz mobo: Biostar X370GT7 case: Fractal Design Define C PSU: Superflower Leadex Gold 650W

Just now, Fasauceome said:

$300 canadian is ... ouch

can't salvage ram, PSU, case, anything else? wasn't a house fire, was it?

Well uh, let’s just say the SSD is the only good part about his old desktop. It’s a desktop that was mine before I got my gaming laptop. It’s a bit out of its time..

Gaming Laptop Specs:

Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Geforce GTX 1060 3G
16GB of RAM
256GB Boot SSD (NVMe)

1TB HDD
1TB External HDD

Logitech G230 Headset
Corsair MM300 Extended
Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Logitech G710+

3 minutes ago, AtlanticCanuck said:

Well uh, let’s just say the SSD is the only good part about his old desktop. It’s a desktop that was mine before I got my gaming laptop. It’s a bit out of its time..

This is pretty much the best you'd get if you hug that $300 price point without sacrificing part quality. The motherboard at least has a VRM heat sink, and the PSU is decent. Used market will be quite useful here, often you can find a 2200G for the price of this 3000G on eBay. Cheap B450 motherboards and updated B350 motherboards can also be found, but make sure they have both the backplate and I/O shield.

Perhaps a good opportunity to learn some metalworking tools, if you can shear off parts of the old case to make it more like an open air test bench, you could really have something on your hands there (it's certainly what I'd do). 

I WILL find your ITX build thread, and I WILL recommend the SIlverstone Sugo SG13B

Primary PC:

i7 8086k (won) - EVGA Z370 Classified K - G.Kill Trident Z RGB - Force MP500 - Jedi Order Titan Xp - The venerated Hyper 212 Evo (with RGB Riing flair) - EVGA G2 650W - Black and green theme, Razer branwashed me.

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Dual Xeon X5560 - 24GB ECC DDR3 - GTX 750 TI - old Seagate 1.5TB HDD - Dark moded Ubuntu (and Win7, cuz why not)

EVGA G3 threadSeasonic Focus threadUserbenchmark (Et al.) is trash explained, PSU misconceptions, protections explainedgroup reg is bad

1 minute ago, Fasauceome said:

This is pretty much the best you'd get if I hug that $300 price point without sacrificing part quality. The motherboard at least has a VRM heat sink, and the PSU is decent. Used market will be quite useful here, often you can find a 2200G for the price of a 3000G on eBay. Cheap B450 motherboards and updated B350 motherboards can also be found, but make sure they have both the backplate and I/O shield.

Perhaps a good opportunity to learn some metalworking tools, if you can shear off parts of the old case to make it more like an open air test bench, you could really have something on your hands there (it's certainly what I'd do). 

My budget is able to reach up to $400, if it gives more comfort to allow for more stuff to pack in there let me hear it.

Gaming Laptop Specs:

Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Geforce GTX 1060 3G
16GB of RAM
256GB Boot SSD (NVMe)

1TB HDD
1TB External HDD

Logitech G230 Headset
Corsair MM300 Extended
Corsair M65 Pro RGB
Logitech G710+

Just now, AtlanticCanuck said:

My budget is able to reach up to $400, if it gives more comfort to allow for more stuff to pack in there let me hear it.

A used RX 570/470/GTX 1060 3GB from eBay would sit nicely in that budget, if you find a nice deal.

Primary PC:

Linux Proliant ML150 G6:

Just now, Fasauceome said:

A used RX 570/470/GTX 1060 3GB from eBay would sit nicely in that budget, if you find a nice deal.

Alright thanks, if you find anything better or anyone else has anything better let me know.

Gaming Laptop Specs:

Intel Core i7-7700HQ
Geforce GTX 1060 3G
16GB of RAM
256GB Boot SSD (NVMe)

1TB HDD
1TB External HDD

Logitech G230 Headset
Corsair MM300 Extended