ThermalTake A500 Airflow problems

3DprintedDuck

I installed a closed loop water cooler in the top of my case(iQue h100i in a ThermalTake A500 ), and ever since, my components are baking. I think, because the top and front panel are covered in metal, and the frame beneath it is covered in metal mesh, the radiator isn't sucking in the air from outside the case, and is mostly just recycling the case air.  I'm considering taping the entire top of the case chassis to provide a seal, so the only airflow that can occur is through the cpu radiator.  

Is this a stupid Idea, or do I just need to rearrange my setup?
IMG_20200328_164409.thumb.jpg.1f6d4ccd3671369a9155942702d44dec.jpgIMG_20200328_164406.thumb.jpg.886d6f07999a770f5b83a00cbf1ebeb8.jpg

If you haven't already, try using the top as exhaust instead and see if that's any better. 

Moved to Air Cooling. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

What are "baking" temps?

^^^^ That's my post ^^^^
<-- This is me --- That's your scrollbar -->
vvvv Who's there? vvvv

1 hour ago, LogicalDrm said:

What are "baking" temps?

Both the cpu and GPU are pushing past 90 under sustained full load. Before using this cooler, I was barely hitting 80.

1 hour ago, WoodenMarker said:

If you haven't already, try using the top as exhaust instead and see if that's any better. 

Can I just flip the radiator fans? or do I need to also put them on the other side of the radiator?

1 minute ago, 3DprintedDuck said:

Can I just flip the radiator fans? or do I need to also put them on the other side of the radiator?

You can just flip them. You're currently using the fans in pull which is actually the opposite of how the cooler and case are generally advertised with rad fans in push. 

If you ever need help with a build, read the following before posting: http://linustechtips.com/main/topic/3061-build-plan-thread-recommendations-please-read-before-posting/
Also, make sure to quote a post or tag a member when replying or else they won't get a notification that you replied to them.

Yeah...the Thermaltake A500 is not a really well thought out / designed case.

Sir 'Tech Jesus' ripped that case a new one in his review...

Can you remove the dust filters at the top (at least) and the front to give more airflow?

Due to the fine and small amount of ventilation holes, it is really trapping the hot air in, even if it WANTS to get out, it cannot.

What you can also make the front and rear fans as INTAKE, and flip the radiator fans as EXHAUST.

All the hot air goes out the top, everything else is taking in fresh cool air.

Intel Z390 Rig ( *NEW* Primary )

Intel X99 Rig (Officially Decommissioned, Dead CPU returned to Intel)

• i7-8086K @ 5.1 GHz
  • Gigabyte Z390 Aorus Master
  • Sapphire NITRO+ RX 6800 XT S.E + EKwb Quantum Vector Full Cover Waterblock
  • 32GB G.Skill TridentZ DDR4-3000 CL14 @ DDR-3400 custom CL15 timings
  • SanDisk 480 GB SSD + 1TB Samsung 860 EVO +  500GB Samsung 980 + 1TB WD SN750
  • EVGA SuperNOVA 850W P2 + Red/White CableMod Cables
  • Lian-Li O11 Dynamic EVO XL
  • Ekwb Custom loop + 2x EKwb Quantum Surface P360M Radiators
  • Logitech G502 Proteus Spectrum + Corsair K70 (Red LED, anodized black, Cheery MX Browns)

AMD Ryzen Rig

• AMD R7-5800X
  • Gigabyte B550 Aorus Pro AC
  • 32GB (16GB X 2) Crucial Ballistix RGB DDR4-3600
  • Gigabyte Vision RTX 3060 Ti OC
  • EKwb D-RGB 360mm AIO
  • Intel 660p NVMe 1TB + Crucial MX500 1TB + WD Black 1TB HDD
  • EVGA P2 850W + White CableMod cables
  • Lian-Li LanCool II Mesh - White

Intel Z97 Rig (Decomissioned)

• Intel i5-4690K 4.8 GHz
  • ASUS ROG Maximus VII Hero Z97
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7950 EVGA GTX 1070 SC Black Edition ACX 3.0
  • 20 GB (8GB X 2 + 4GB X 1) Corsair Vengeance DDR3 1600 MHz
  • Corsair A50 air cooler  NZXT X61
  • Crucial MX500 1TB SSD + SanDisk Ultra II 240GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD [non-gimped version]
  • Antec New TruePower 550W EVGA G2 650W + White CableMod cables
  • Cooler Master HAF 912 White NZXT S340 Elite w/ white LED stips

AMD 990FX Rig (Decommissioned)

• FX-8350 @ 4.8 / 4.9 GHz (given up on the 5.0 / 5.1 GHz attempt)
  • ASUS ROG Crosshair V Formula 990FX
  • 12 GB (4 GB X 3) G.Skill RipJawsX DDR3 @ 1866 MHz
  • Sapphire Vapor-X HD 7970 + Sapphire Dual-X HD 7970 in Crossfire  Sapphire NITRO R9-Fury in Crossfire *NONE*
  • Thermaltake Frio w/ Cooler Master JetFlo's in push-pull
  • Samsung 850 EVO 500GB SSD + Kingston V300 120GB SSD + WD Caviar Black 1TB HDD
  • Corsair TX850 (ver.1)
  • Cooler Master HAF 932

<> Electrical Engineer , B.Eng <>

<> Electronics & Computer Engineering Technologist (Diploma + Advanced Diploma) <>

<> Electronics Engineering Technician for the Canadian Department of National Defence <>

4 hours ago, -rascal- said:

Yeah...the Thermaltake A500 is not a really well thought out / designed case.

Sir 'Tech Jesus' ripped that case a new one in his review...

Can you remove the dust filters at the top (at least) and the front to give more airflow?

Due to the fine and small amount of ventilation holes, it is really trapping the hot air in, even if it WANTS to get out, it cannot.

What you can also make the front and rear fans as INTAKE, and flip the radiator fans as EXHAUST.

All the hot air goes out the top, everything else is taking in fresh cool air.

They're glued in place, but I could easily rip them off. I'm hesitant to do that though, since they do get a decent amount of dust on them, and the actual chassis only has a dust cover on the bottom.... where there's no air flow... because of the shroud. I literally only bought the case because it was THE ONLY CASE they sold at Fry's that actually supported more than like two 3.5" bays. (and funny enough, LTT started running ads for the case the next week)

4 hours ago, WoodenMarker said:

You can just flip them. You're currently using the fans in pull which is actually the opposite of how the cooler and case are generally advertised with rad fans in push. 

Really? That's pretty surprising, the Corsair h100i manual emphasized a few times that they recommended using it as intake, and I just copied the configuration they had in the diagram.

My last closed loop setup was set up as exhaust, but I did that so it would be easier to dust. I wasn't really thinking about airflow on that build, because I was using an old HAF case, so airflow was never an issue.

4 minutes ago, 3DprintedDuck said:

Really? That's pretty surprising, the Corsair h100i manual emphasized a few times that they recommended using it as intake, and I just copied the configuration they had in the diagram.
My last closed loop setup was set up as exhaust, but I did that so it would be easier to dust. I wasn't really thinking about airflow on that build, because I was using an old HAF case, so airflow was never an issue.

Which manual? I think most of the newer ones show it being used as exhaust. Some old manuals recommended it as intake through unfiltered mounts back when there was less of of a focus on mitigating dust buildup and more on performance. 

In either case, there are good reasons to use the cooler as either intake or exhaust depending on the case and where the cooler is being mounted. 

5 minutes ago, WoodenMarker said:

Which manual? I think most of the newer ones show it being used as exhaust. Some old manuals recommended it as intake through unfiltered mounts back when there was less of of a focus on mitigating dust buildup and more on performance. 

In either case, there are good reasons to use the cooler as either intake or exhaust depending on the case and where the cooler is being mounted. 

The iCue H100i RGB PRO XT manual. I think it just came out a month or so ago.

I'm definitely flipping the fans tomorrow, to see if that helps.

h100i.PNG

8 minutes ago, 3DprintedDuck said:

The iCue H100i RGB PRO XT manual. I think it just came out a month or so ago.

That's interesting. The last few generations of their AIO's including the RGB Pro show a similar image but with the fan flipped for exhaust. https://www.corsair.com/corsairmedia/sys_master/productcontent/WW_H100i_PRO_QSG_WEB.pdf

I wonder what prompted them to change it back.