Oculus Rift S USB Not working + Inateck PCI-e 4 USB 3.0 not in Device Manager

Hello everyone,

First of all, I hope you're doing well and you're taking care of yourselves.

Secondly, the problems themselves.

Problem1) I have an Oculus Rift S that used to work flawlessly since release day. In August, I stopped using it and stored it in its box. I've decided to reuse it again and after doing all updates, the Oculus Software doesn't find the USB for it.

I've changed ports (3.0 and 3.1) but all fail. I've purchased an Inateck PCI-e 4 slots USB 3.0 card to try and fix the problem but didn't work (problem explained below).

In Device Manager, I get 1 Oculus Rift S and 1 with an error message (code 43).

I've updated my BIOS, uninstalled all drivers and let windows reinstall them, followed all the Oculus Support suggested before they closed the ticket (uninstall oculus software completely, reinstall it, remove all oculus files etc), removed and resealed the port on the headset to finally purchase the Inateck card advised.

Problem 2) I bought the Inateck PCI-e 4 slots USB 3.0 card. It is getting power (green light) but it's not being detected by Windows or Motherboard. I've tried different PCI-E slots on my motherboard but got no success.

If I could solve problem 2, it could potentially solve problem 1 (I hope).

Thanks for your help,

If it helps, my rig:
MB: Asus Maximus VIII Hero

PSU: Corsair RM 750x

GPU: Aorus 1080ti

12 hours ago, jjbeebe said:

Could be that driver issue i have seem other people have talked about here https://www.techradar.com/news/new-windows-10-driver-problem-could-be-the-most-serious-yet-heres-how-to-fix-it.

Thanks for the link! Unfortunately, following the steps, I get within Device Security "standard hardware security not supported" then "your device does not meet the requirements for standard hardware security".

If your a using thunderbolt or not there are two possible issues,when you connect your oculus you should be prompted to allow the device on the oculus itself and some computers (like mine) have thunderbolt security measures that if a device is not allowed or if it has been denied it wont connect. My computer has a setting in the bios and software called thunderbolt control center to allow or block devices. My default is to not allow anything till the user has approved the external device. Maybe give this a try to see if this is causing the issues. Employees at work used the oculus and had issues and did not know to put the headset on after plugging it into the computer and allow the computer to connect to get it to work. 

• 2 weeks later...

I too am having problems with my USB port on the Rift S, Windows seems to be detecting it but is only saying that it is running at 2.0 speeds when it is plugged into a 3.0, same thing the Rift says, I have updates every possible driver, and resorted to uninstalling and reinstalling windows to no success, other forums have suggested that buying a USB expansion card fixes the problem but I unfortunately am not hopeful, I just hope that they can fix it on their end or it may escalate.