RTX 2070S - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X vs MSI Gaming X Trio

HadesLV
Go to solution Solved by tdkid,
1 hour ago, HadesLV said:

Hey there!

So, I am trying to complete the main part of my PC upgrades before prices start rising from what's happening. I already got a 3700X + MB to replace my old CPU and MB. Right now I am intending to get a RTX 2070 Super. I pretty much have it narrowed down to the two aftermarket coolers that you see in the title - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X and MSI Gaming X Trio. The price difference is pretty huge where I am. 575 for the Gigabyte card vs 645 for the MSI one. My question is there any real difference between the two other than the aesthetic? I know the MSI card technically has a slightly higher boost clock. I'm using a 1440p screen, mostly triple A GPU-heavy games. Is there any world where those 70 extra euros actually give me anything significant? Perhaps there is also a significant noise difference? Right now, since I am trying to save a buck, I am leaning towards the Gigabyte card, even though the MSI one fits my overall build aesthetic better. I am trying to see if I can find any reasons to justify spending those extra 70.

yes and no. yes there is a difference between the two cards but most of it is the aesthetic. is that the entire name for both or do you have exact links to the ones you are looking it? I am asking this because there is a section here that I will link below all of this that will all you to see a list of GPUs based on the PCB and the cooler that they have but that list is a little vague.

On a related, but separate note. If I do go the cost-saving route. Do you think I could  get away with sticking with my current PSU CX 550M, the good grey unit, not the green one? I do intend to upgrade to an A tier PSU soon anyway, but I am just wondering if I could safely get away with sticking with my old one for a month or two longer if I upgrade my GPU now, or if I definitely should buy the PSU alongside the GPU?

that depends on what you are planning on doing. most 2070 supers recommend a PSU of at least 650w but usually don't draw more than 250 at most so your PSU will work but for hard core gaming it might need to be upgraded.

this is the list I was talking about. you might know about it already but if not then its here for you. 

Hey there!

So, I am trying to complete the main part of my PC upgrades before prices start rising from what's happening. I already got a 3700X + MB to replace my old CPU and MB. Right now I am intending to get a RTX 2070 Super. I pretty much have it narrowed down to the two aftermarket coolers that you see in the title - Gigabyte Windforce OC 3X and MSI Gaming X Trio. The price difference is pretty huge where I am. 575 for the Gigabyte card vs 645 for the MSI one. My question is there any real difference between the two other than the aesthetic? I know the MSI card technically has a slightly higher boost clock. I'm using a 1440p screen, mostly triple A GPU-heavy games. Is there any world where those 70 extra euros actually give me anything significant? Perhaps there is also a significant noise difference? Right now, since I am trying to save a buck, I am leaning towards the Gigabyte card, even though the MSI one fits my overall build aesthetic better. I am trying to see if I can find any reasons to justify spending those extra 70.

On a related, but separate note. If I do go the cost-saving route. Do you think I could  get away with sticking with my current PSU CX 550M, the good grey unit, not the green one? I do intend to upgrade to an A tier PSU soon anyway, but I am just wondering if I could safely get away with sticking with my old one for a month or two longer if I upgrade my GPU now, or if I definitely should buy the PSU alongside the GPU?

CPU: Ryzen 7 3700X

CPU Cooler: be quiet! Pure Rock

GPU: Gigabyte RTX 2070 Super Windforce OC 3X

Motherboard: MSI B450 GAMING PLUS MAX

RAM: 4x8GB (32GB) Kingston HyperX Fury Black RGB 3200MHz

PSU: BitFenix Whisper M 650W

Case: NZXT H440

SSD: 500GB Samsung 850 EVO (Boot Drive); 1TB Samsung 970 EVO (Primary Game Drive). 1,5TB total SSD storage.

HDD: 3TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM; 4TB Seagate Barracuda 7200RPM. 7TB total HDD storage.

Hey there!

yes and no. yes there is a difference between the two cards but most of it is the aesthetic. is that the entire name for both or do you have exact links to the ones you are looking it? I am asking this because there is a section here that I will link below all of this that will all you to see a list of GPUs based on the PCB and the cooler that they have but that list is a little vague.

that depends on what you are planning on doing. most 2070 supers recommend a PSU of at least 650w but usually don't draw more than 250 at most so your PSU will work but for hard core gaming it might need to be upgraded.

this is the list I was talking about. you might know about it already but if not then its here for you.