Monoprice MM-3 vs. Audioengine A2+ vs. Micca PB42X

thvSPARK

Looking for a pair of small-ish speakers that I can put on a desk and use in a bedroom/dorm. I'm very far from an audiophile, so I probably won't notice any slight differences in sound. Right now, I can get the MM-3's for $110 USD, the A2+ for $269, and the PB42X for $120. Are any of these options better than the others for any reason? Or are there others that you would recommend?

Thanks for any help!

Stormtrooper PC

CPU - Ryzen 3700x

Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Motherboard - Gigabyte X570 Gaming X

RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600

GPU - Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super

Storage - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

PSU - Corsair RMx 550W

Case - NZXT H710

Display - HP Omen 25

2 hours ago, ThvPyro said:

Looking for a pair of small-ish speakers that I can put on a desk and use in a bedroom/dorm. I'm very far from an audiophile, so I probably won't notice any slight differences in sound. Right now, I can get the MM-3's for $110 USD, the A2+ for $269, and the PB42X for $120. Are any of these options better than the others for any reason? Or are there others that you would recommend?

Thanks for any help!

Ehhh, the PB42X/MB42's aren't as good as alot of people say, they just don't measure well, and are power thirsty.

Out of just those 3, I would go with the AudioEngine A2+'s. They sound good, look great, and use standard speaker wire to connect them together, not a proprietary cable. Plus they have a USB input if you wanted to use them with a laptop on the go in a hotel or something similar.

LTT's Resident Porsche fanboy and nutjob Audiophile.

Main speaker setup is now;

Mini DSP SHD Studio -> 2x Mola Mola Tambaqui DAC's (fed by AES/EBU, one feeds the left sub and main, the other feeds the right side) -> 2x Neumann KH420 + 2x Neumann KH870

(Having a totally seperate DAC for each channel is game changing for sound quality)

2 hours ago, Derkoli said:

Ehhh, the PB42X/MB42's aren't as good as alot of people say, they just don't measure well, and are power thirsty.

Out of just those 3, I would go with the AudioEngine A2+'s. They sound good, look great, and use standard speaker wire to connect them together, not a proprietary cable. Plus they have a USB input if you wanted to use them with a laptop on the go in a hotel or something similar.

Alright, thanks!

Stormtrooper PC

CPU - Ryzen 3700x

Cooling - Noctua NH-D15 SE-AM4

Motherboard - Gigabyte X570 Gaming X

RAM - G.Skill Trident Z RGB DDR4-3600

GPU - Nvidia GeForce RTX 2070 Super

Storage - Samsung 970 EVO 500GB

PSU - Corsair RMx 550W

Case - NZXT H710

Display - HP Omen 25