Power supply won't turn on when connected to motherboard

Hey guys

I just bought a bunch of new components and couldn't get the build to power on. I put everything together and couldn't get anything to power on, the PSU wouldn't even turn on when connected to the motherboard but would power on with the paperclip test. I couldn't jump the motherboard, tried different ram seatings, 1 stick of ram in different seatings, checked GPU on my old motherboard and double-checked PSU at the same time, made sure fans weren't shorting the motherboard. The only things I couldn't check individually were the RAM and CPU as my previous board is an intel B360 Gaming Plus board and only supports up to 2666mhz. I've returned the board and their testing team has said they couldn't replicate the fault and that the board has no issues.

The components I bought were

Gigabyte X570 gaming + motherboard
AMD ryzen 7 3800x CPU
16gb DDR4 FlareX ram @ 3200mhz

The components I added were

Cougar GX800 V3 800W 80+ gold PSU
RX Vega 64

Do you guys have any idea what could be causing the issue? need help urgently

Thanks in advance

Should add that the PSU and GPU are in the computer I'm using now and working perfectly

22 minutes ago, ill.Clinton said:

couldn't check individually were the RAM and CPU as my previous board is an intel B360 Gaming Plus board and only supports up to 2666mhz

It should work regardless. If it doesn't then your RAM kit is borked.

Make sure you've connected all required PSU cables (GPU, CPU). Clear CMOS. But if motherboard doesn't even try to startup you're either doing smth wrong on the lowest level (like you've connected power button to wrong jumper) or it's dead.

Tag or quote me so i see your reply

4 minutes ago, NZgamer said:

So it's fixed?

No. I mean I've rebuilt my intel build

1 minute ago, Juular said:

It should work regardless. If it doesn't then your RAM kit is borked.

Make sure you've connected all required PSU cables (GPU, CPU). Clear CMOS. But if motherboard doesn't even try to startup you're either doing smth wrong on the lowest level (like you've connected power button to wrong jumper) or it's dead.

You're saying try the new RAM on my intel board? It's g.skill flarex and i believe its built specifically for AMD boards

2 minutes ago, ill.Clinton said:

It's g.skill flarex and i believe its built specifically for AMD boards

That's bullshit, if it's DDR4 then it's universal.

Also, were this PSU bought recently or you had it for a while now ?

3 minutes ago, Juular said:

OK, I'll try the ram in the intel build. I feel like I should mention again that the power supply won't power on when connected to the X570 board but will power on with the B360 and with the paperclip test and that the X570 has been sent away to be tested and came back that the board has no issues

Do any lights on the motherboard ever turn on?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

Just now, Juular said:

Also, were this PSU bought recently or you had it for a while now ?

It's about a year old

Just now, RadiatingLight said:

Do any lights on the motherboard ever turn on?

No, the PSU wont power on when its connected

1 minute ago, ill.Clinton said:

Again, are you sure you're connected motherboard power switch cable to the right jumper ? Did you try to short the jumper manually ? Refer to motherboard manual and double check that.

It's about a year old

Hate to say but it's about 8-10 years old design actually. Not very bad actually but i wouldn't buy it today.

3 minutes ago, ill.Clinton said:

PSU powering on just means fans spinning?

Usually a motherboard will have some ambient LEDs, or at least will turn on an LED when you attempt to power it on.

If this doesn't happen and you're sure that you're powering on the motherboard correctly, then I guess it's a bad board?

QUOTE/TAG ME WHEN REPLYING

Spend As Much Time Writing Your Question As You Want Me To Spend Responding To It.

If I'm wrong, please point it out. I'm always learning & I won't bite.

Desktop:

Delidded Core i7 4770K - GTX 1070 ROG Strix - 16GB DDR3 - Lots of RGB lights I never change

Laptop:

HP Spectre X360 - i7 8560U - MX150 - 2TB SSD - 16GB DDR4

2 minutes ago, RadiatingLight said:

PSU powering on just means fans spinning?

Usually a motherboard will have some ambient LEDs, or at least will turn on an LED when you attempt to power it on.

If this doesn't happen and you're sure that you're powering on the motherboard correctly, then I guess it's a bad board?

Yeah, unplugged everything from the motherboard and used a paperclip to start the PSU and it worked fine (as in the fan turn on) and its in the computer im using now working fine but when plugged in to the X570 the fan doesnt turn on. Tried connecting an RGB case fan to the mother while the PSU was hooked up to it, no lights, no fans, no nothing

Yeah, unplugged everything from the motherboard and used a paperclip to start the PSU and it worked fine (as in the fan turn on) and its in the computer im using now working fine but when plugged in to the X570 the fan doesnt turn on. Tried connecting an RGB case fan to the mother while the PSU was hooked up to it, no lights, no fans, no nothing

I'm talking about this :

mOlOLd-ntiQ5NLkJWoYRbTBDQTryjnS8YDv176KjeNH_YjLGwvC44u6rTQCmrZ9YuMa8Nk2fKzBrmg.jpg.ca9046ff4b253deb3457caa68d54b19e.jpg

4 minutes ago, Juular said:

Again, are you sure you're connected motherboard power switch cable to the right jumper ? Did you try to short the jumper manually ? Refer to motherboard manual and double check that.

Hate to say but it's about 8-10 years old design actually. Not very bad actually but i wouldn't buy it today.

Yeah, tried to jump the board with a screw driver. Regardless, the PSU won't power on when connected. Just to clarify, when testing the power supply to the board, I'm plugging in the 24 pin and the 8 pin connecters while the cpu is in. trying again without the cpu and with/without the 8 pin. Then again with just the mnotherboard and a case fan. In all cases the PSU doesn't power on 

25 minutes ago, Juular said:

this is what I mean with the RAM

20200310_164305.jpg

20 minutes ago, ill.Clinton said:

this is what I mean with the RAM

It would still work in an Intel system, and likewise the DDR4 RAM in your Intel build will also work in your Ryzen system.
Though it won't be an issue with your RAM as even without RAM installed at all you would still get some signs of life when you try to power the system on it will just fail to boot and either display an error code or sound an error beep code. You'd notice the system at least try to start.

Make sure you're trying the correct power switch pins on the front panel connector - They might not be in the same spot as your previous B360 motherboard.

As per your X570 motherboard manual:
image.png.22ad6e5a79dd2d09c0666d04bbeca371.png

You're not using any custom cables or extension cables or anything? Cables from a different PSU?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

8 minutes ago, Spotty said:

It would still work in an Intel system, and likewise the DDR4 RAM in your Intel build will also work in your Ryzen system.
Though it won't be an issue with your RAM as even without RAM installed at all you would still get some signs of life when you try to power the system on it will just fail to boot and either display an error code or sound an error beep code. You'd notice the system at least try to start.

Make sure you're trying the correct power switch pins on the front panel connector - They might not be in the same spot as your previous B360 motherboard.

As per your X570 motherboard manual:
You're not using any custom cables or extension cables or anything? Cables from a different PSU?

Thanks for the reply

Yeah those are the pins I tried to jump the motherboard with. I'm just using the power supply as it came out of the box. I can't find anyhting online that the PSU wouldn't power certain boards or anything like that so I'm so confused on what to try when the motherboard eventually arrives back here.

32 minutes ago, ill.Clinton said:

Yeah those are the pins I tried to jump the motherboard with. I'm just using the power supply as it came out of the box. I can't find anyhting online that the PSU wouldn't power certain boards or anything like that so I'm so confused on what to try when the motherboard eventually arrives back here.

Then that is very strange indeed. I'm not sure why it would work with your other system but not the new one.

Did you have a spare power supply that you could use to test with the new system?

CPU: Intel i7 6700k  | Motherboard: Gigabyte Z170x Gaming 5 | RAM: 2x16GB 3000MHz Corsair Vengeance LPX | GPU: Gigabyte Aorus GTX 1080ti | PSU: Corsair RM750x (2018) | Case: BeQuiet SilentBase 800 | Cooler: Arctic Freezer 34 eSports | SSD: Samsung 970 Evo 500GB + Samsung 840 500GB + Crucial MX500 2TB | Monitor: Acer Predator XB271HU + Samsung BX2450

Hey guys,

The RMA team told me at first that the board had no faults but ended up sending me a brand new board anyway. builds done and it's running like a dream. Thanks for all your help, guys. I really appreciate it!!

• 1 year later...
On 3/13/2020 at 3:21 AM, ill.Clinton said:

Hey guys,

The RMA team told me at first that the board had no faults but ended up sending me a brand new board anyway. builds done and it's running like a dream. Thanks for all your help, guys. I really appreciate it!!

Hi, I know it's been a year but was your seller newegg? I'm trying to rma mine saying it's defective also since I have the same problem as you. But since newegg a bit problematic with rma processing, I'm wondering how yours went. Thank you.

• 1 year later...

I'm currently facing the same issue, PC doesn't on ,PSU turns on when I short the 15 and 16 pins of 24 pin connector, but doesn't work while it is plugged into the motherboard , send the motherboard for claiming warranty but they send it back , saying it works fine . But the twist is ,PC works perfectly fine at repair shop , every time . But When I came back home with it ,it doesn't work . I went to my friends and neighbours home to check,but still nothing. Called an electrician to check the power outlet,but I was all working good . Basically the motherboard is not letting the psu to turn on ( as it is supposed to do when the power switch is pressed). Any idea ?