Dell Latitude E6540 cooling

MRRetek
Go to solution Solved by Bombastinator,

Attachment points for laptop cooler screw holes are generally emphatically not standard.  I  assume a bracket would be required.  Whether doing one is even possible is another question.

laptops are rarely even taken apart, so the location and nature of the screw holes in question are unknown to me.  Googling “dell e6540 motherboard” and looking at images there appear to me to be at least 3 different motherboards with that designation.  The ones I do see have ZIF sockets for the CPU, but no cpu holder so the cpu is actually held down to the connector by the cooler which makes things more complicated.

It would depend on the layout of the motherboard.  A mere heatspreader is very unlikely to work, and will probably be far less effective than the original stock cooler.

Adapting a full desktop cooler or keeping the cooler designed to fit is likely the only shot.  As to 3d printing it may depend heavily on how strong a bracket could be produced.  Many of them are soft heat set plastic and may not be strong enough to withstand the pressure needed to make a good connection.  There are desktop CPU coolers that are designed to be attached with brackets and in theory one might be designed.  It strikes me as difficult and perhaps not possible.

Hey.

I am working on converting my Dell Latitude E6540 into a desktop, for fun, and I would like to replace the stock cooler, cuz it doesn't preform that well.

Are there any, desktop-grade cooler, that I could use?

And if no, would 3d printing a bracket, that fits with the stock coolers srewholes, then installing a heatsreader plus a fan on it be viable?

Or would using just a heatspreader be enough?

Thanks in advance,

MRRetek

Edited by MRRetek

Attachment points for laptop cooler screw holes are generally emphatically not standard.  I  assume a bracket would be required.  Whether doing one is even possible is another question.

laptops are rarely even taken apart, so the location and nature of the screw holes in question are unknown to me.  Googling “dell e6540 motherboard” and looking at images there appear to me to be at least 3 different motherboards with that designation.  The ones I do see have ZIF sockets for the CPU, but no cpu holder so the cpu is actually held down to the connector by the cooler which makes things more complicated.

It would depend on the layout of the motherboard.  A mere heatspreader is very unlikely to work, and will probably be far less effective than the original stock cooler.

Adapting a full desktop cooler or keeping the cooler designed to fit is likely the only shot.  As to 3d printing it may depend heavily on how strong a bracket could be produced.  Many of them are soft heat set plastic and may not be strong enough to withstand the pressure needed to make a good connection.  There are desktop CPU coolers that are designed to be attached with brackets and in theory one might be designed.  It strikes me as difficult and perhaps not possible.

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

2 hours ago, Bombastinator said:

Thank you for your very usuefull awnser. I think I will stick with the stock cooler, and give the entire pc case a good airflow. I took apart the laptop like an hour ago, and ran some benchmarks with the bottom cover, and the keyboard removed. The temperatures dropped by 15Celsius. So I guess the stock cooler will also do, I just have to give it some more "fresh air". 

Again thank you for your awnser, it was really helpfull.

19 minutes ago, MRRetek said:

Thank you for your very usuefull awnser. I think I will stick with the stock cooler, and give the entire pc case a good airflow. I took apart the laptop like an hour ago, and ran some benchmarks with the bottom cover, and the keyboard removed. The temperatures dropped by 15Celsius. So I guess the stock cooler will also do, I just have to give it some more "fresh air". 

Again thank you for your awnser, it was really helpfull.

If you’re keeping the stock cooler one thing that might be worth looking at is changing the TIM compound.  TIM can be of low quality or dry out over time creating additional heat. 

Not a pro, not even very good.  I’m just old and have time currently.  Assuming I know a lot about computers can be a mistake.

Life is like a bowl of chocolates: there are all these little crinkly paper cups everywhere.

22 minutes ago, Bombastinator said:

If you’re keeping the stock cooler one thing that might be worth looking at is changing the TIM compound.  TIM can be of low quality or dry out over time creating additional heat. 

Yeah, I already ordered some high quality one. Thanks!