Intermittent lag and fps drop in games

Nitefury

Im gonna give Fortnite as an example, so i am sorry in advance!

I have a core i3 5005u @ 2ghz, with an Nvidia 930m and 8 gb of ram in my Asus a555l laptop. This is easily good enough to play most games at medium, and has been for 4 years now. but recently ive faced issues, i can play fortnite at 60fps medium, but every minute or so, my game starts getting stuck like hell and goes down to 5 fps for a solid 30-40 seconds rendering it unplayable. this happens in all games, CSGO, Skyrim etc etc. ive checked the cpu cooler and temps and theyre fine, even the utilization doesnt exceed 40-60%. but this keeps happening. some people say its throttling but its not. idk what the problem is, even the HDD is fine. i really need to fix this, any help is deeply appreciated.

4 minutes ago, Nitefury said:

I have a core i3 5005u @ 2ghz, with an Nvidia 930m and 8 gb of ram in my Asus a555l laptop. This is easily good enough to play most games at medium, and has been for 4 years now. but recently ive faced issues, i can play fortnite at 60fps medium, but every minute or so, my game starts getting stuck like hell and goes down to 5 fps for a solid 30-40 seconds rendering it unplayable. this happens in all games, CSGO, Skyrim etc etc. ive checked the cpu cooler and temps and theyre fine, even the utilization doesnt exceed 40-60%. but this keeps happening. some people say its throttling but its not. idk what the problem is, even the HDD is fine. i really need to fix this, any help is deeply appreciated.

Seems like a broken gpu. I highly reccomend buying a GTX 1660 And a Ryzen 5, they're not too pricey and give good performance and they stay in most of the people's budget.

I'm not sure tho, but from what you said it's one of the few possible things.

Anyway, why are you sorry to use fortnite as an example?

Edited by DudeWhatTheN
forgot to add something

1 hour ago, Nitefury said:

The hdd is an ssd? Or it's an 7200upm which does calibrate in regular intervals.

Or: Power savings for the harddrive, it is going to spin-down at some point, then needs the 30-40 seconds to come up again.

Last: Drive disconnects intermittently due to faulty cable/controller.

On 2/25/2020 at 10:48 PM, Sir0Tek said:

The hdd is an ssd? Or it's an 7200upm which does calibrate in regular intervals.

Or: Power savings for the harddrive, it is going to spin-down at some point, then needs the 30-40 seconds to come up again.

Last: Drive disconnects intermittently due to faulty cable/controller.

I gave my laptop to a tech repair guy (who isnt that good but knows his stuff imo, he once recovered stuff from a dead hdd for me once) and he said the HDD was totally fine. it is most probably a 5400 rpm one, this is a budget laptop after all

On 2/25/2020 at 10:33 PM, DudeWhatTheN said:

Seems like a broken gpu. I highly reccomend buying a GTX 1660 And a Ryzen 5, they're not too pricey and give good performance and they stay in most of the people's budget.

I'm not sure tho, but from what you said it's one of the few possible things.

Anyway, why are you sorry to use fortnite as an example?

I was actually planning on building that pc, but have to postpone it a few months so in the mean time i wanted to see if i could fix this laptop. And people hate fornite dont they, thats why i was sorry lol.

12 minutes ago, Nitefury said:

I gave my laptop to a tech repair guy (who isnt that good but knows his stuff imo, he once recovered stuff from a dead hdd for me once) and he said the HDD was totally fine. it is most probably a 5400 rpm one, this is a budget laptop after all

Calibrating of 7200upm (or faster) drives is a normal behaviour, as is spinning-down after a vast amount of seconds on laptop-mode drives no matter the rpm. To prevent it from spinning down powersaving needs to be adjusted.

5 hours ago, Nitefury said:

I was actually planning on building that pc, but have to postpone it a few months so in the mean time i wanted to see if i could fix this laptop. And people hate fornite dont they, thats why i was sorry lol.

Play what you like man. People like those are just minecraft and The Witcher 3 circlejerkers.

Anyway, have you tried a defragmentation software? Defragmenting your HDD could be helpful, or you could try saving your files and resetting the computer, a clean install can fix some serious things.