Help me buy a new router/modem plz

Dizz_Man

So in my current situation I think our family has a router made from 2014, slowest, cheapest everything. It was given to us when we upgraded to the almighty NBN here in Australia. We're on the Fixed Wireless version.

In perfect conditions I can get a blistering 5 megabytes/s and have a typical speedtest ping of 30-45 throughout the day

To keep it short, I play online games quite frequently, and when I'm the only person at home my ping is a bliss 42ms

When we are all home (4 of us) if even 1 person starts to use the internet for lets say YouTube my ping will go as high as 80ms+

It feels like maybe our router is prioritising everything else over online gaming so I get crazy variations in ping when others use it for whatever it be.

If buying a new router/modem, (idk the difference), is necessary to help my cause with game ping issues, I have a budget of lets say A$400.

PLEASE NOTE: We HAVE to have our home phone connected to the router/modem at all times and it has to be compatible with NBN thingo on the wall

Do you have like a box that connects to the roof dish thing and that box connects to the router? (i live in aus and my nbn is shit too)

Contact your ISP and ask for a list of compatible modems, that should be the first point that you should consider unless you already got good speeds out of the modems Ethernet port.
Look at routers above A$300 if you need one that has the features/speed/bandwidth for the family, nothing but garbage under that price imho.
modem, receives the signal from wall and makes it usable internet
router, takes the internet and splits it for all devices

CPU: Intel core i7-8086K Case: CORSAIR Crystal 570X RGB CPU Cooler: Corsair Hydro Series H150i PRO RGB Storage: Samsung 980 Pro - 2TB NVMe SSD PSU: EVGA 1000 GQ, 80+ GOLD 1000W, Semi Modular GPU: MSI Radeon RX 580 GAMING X 8G RAM: Corsair Dominator Platinum 64GB (4 x 16GB) DDR4 3200mhz Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E Gaming

Just now, Joshcanread said:

Do you have like a box that connects to the roof dish thing and that box connects to the router? (i live in aus and my nbn is shit too)

are you with telstra or...?

So you have this thing and then you plug an ethernet cable into a router from the NCD? If so you can basically buy any router but i dont have any recommendations so ask these lot. Ask the people on the whirlpool forum they know EVERYTHING about nbn and there is probably already a thread about this topic on there > https://whirlpool.net.au/

image.png.3340669686f4d45f8f1fdcb339b9013f.png