Windows Text Doesn't Look As Sharp In 1440p?

Inferius

I recently (upgraded?) made a lateral movement and switched to a 1440p 144Hz monitor from a 4K 60Hz monitor. Specifically, the LG GL850-b. One thing that I've noticed is that text in Windows, like say the file explorer and everything, doesn't look as sharp. I mean obviously, 1440p is a lower resolution than 4K, but this is to the point where I can't help as feel something is off. The text seems like it's not scaled properly, or something like that/. And what should be plain white text kind of has this slight color tone applied to it due to what I'm attributing to being a scaling issue. I set the Windows scaling option to whatever is recommended by Windows (I think it's 150%).

So, has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything I can do to fix it like change a setting in Nvidia Control Panel?

Thanks for any help.

10 minutes ago, Inferius said:

I set the Windows scaling option to whatever is recommended by Windows (I think it's 150%

set it to 100 or 200 so the sub pixels can translate it correctly.

| CPU: Core i7-8700K @ 4.89ghz - 1.21v  Motherboard: Asus ROG STRIX Z370-E GAMING  CPU Cooler: Corsair H100i V2 |
| GPU: MSI RTX 3080Ti Ventus 3X OC  RAM: 32GB T-Force Delta RGB 3066mhz |
| Displays: Acer Predator XB270HU 1440p Gsync 144hz IPS Gaming monitor | Oculus Quest 2 VR

3 hours ago, Inferius said:

I recently (upgraded?) made a lateral movement and switched to a 1440p 144Hz monitor from a 4K 60Hz monitor. Specifically, the LG GL850-b. One thing that I've noticed is that text in Windows, like say the file explorer and everything, doesn't look as sharp. I mean obviously, 1440p is a lower resolution than 4K, but this is to the point where I can't help as feel something is off. The text seems like it's not scaled properly, or something like that/. And what should be plain white text kind of has this slight color tone applied to it due to what I'm attributing to being a scaling issue. I set the Windows scaling option to whatever is recommended by Windows (I think it's 150%).

So, has anyone else had this issue? Is there anything I can do to fix it like change a setting in Nvidia Control Panel?

Thanks for any help.

What you thought 1440p is not lower resolution than 4k?

Or did you think lower resolution doesn't affect sharpness?

It's not an "issue" it's just the way it is.

And what should be plain white text kind of has this slight color tone applied to it due to what I'm attributing to being a scaling issue

Yea, that's what happens when you don't have enough resolution and you're seeing individual pixels.

I'm sorry you got indoctrinated into this 1440p HFR gaming myth. HFR is not worth the image quality at all, and the only advantage of HFR is competitive advantage in online games.

I set the Windows scaling option to whatever is recommended by Windows (I think it's 150%).

Turn scaling off

31 minutes ago, Chen G said:

What you thought 1440p is not lower resolution than 4k?

Or did you think lower resolution doesn't affect sharpness?

No. As it says in the original post:

I mean obviously, 1440p is a lower resolution than 4K, but this is to the point where I can't help as feel something is off.

I thought it was pretty clear, he feels the sharpness is worse than it should normally be, and he's wondering if something is wrong.

1 hour ago, Glenwing said:

Turn scaling off

No. As it says in the original post:

I thought it was pretty clear, he feels the sharpness is worse than it should normally be, and he's wondering if something is wrong.

Turns out, scaling has been off, and I was mis-remembering settings between monitors. The 1440p monitor has scaling set to 100%.

16 minutes ago, Inferius said:

Thanks, I ran it through clear type and things improved a little bit.

I suppose it's just gonna take some getting used to, which is fine. I really enjoy the HFR stuff in gaming.

You can also try looking in the monitor menu for a sharpness setting, it might improve things.

2 hours ago, Glenwing said:

You can also try looking in the monitor menu for a sharpness setting, it might improve things.

Had to crank it to like 80, but the sharpness is there. From what I've read online, people are saying the monitor is kind of warm (as in the whitepoint) out of the box. Adjusting the color setting helped with the color shifted text I was referring to in the OP. Thanks for the help.