nvme drive write 4k under performing

Benx

Every thing but my writes at 4k seem to be alright is it possible its a bottle neck being cause by the m.2 slot being right next to my graphics card, or is it just a bad nvme drive?

Annotation 2020-02-16 191333.png

Ryzen 3600 @4.3ghz stock voltage, Rx 580 @1460mhz core @2150mhz Mem, Asus Prime x570-p, G.Skill TridentZ Neo 3600mhz Cl 16-17-17-37

On 2/16/2020 at 7:15 PM, Benx said:

Every thing but my writes at 4k seem to be alright is it possible its a bottle neck being cause by the m.2 slot being right next to my graphics card, or is it just a bad nvme drive?

Annotation 2020-02-16 191333.png

What board are you using and what M.2 slot? Depending on the board and configuration, you may be sharing bandwidth with other devices. Also what SSD is that? Keep in mind that low-end SSDs typically have a very small amount of fast SLC space, the rest of the drive will probably be QLC, which is much slower for writes (fine for reads). If you do a big write that overruns your SLC space, you will see a big drop in write performance until the SSD has time to offload and free up the SLC.

If your use case requires frequent large writes, then consider going with something like a 970 Pro, which is much better suited for that kind of work. If all you are worried about is benchmarks, then just ignore the write numbers, your real-world results will be fine under most workloads. Even game installs are fine, QLC will keep up with your download speeds, SLC is really only needed if you have a super fast transfer device, like another internal drive, USB 3.1 or Thunderbolt3, and even if you have that stuff, you are probably not transferring 50+GB from it to your SSD often.

Linus actually has a pretty good video explaining this.