SSD dead?

Ulfr

So i bought and installed Frostpunk on Steam. It was installed to 256 GB ssd (not os). Playing the game was however impossible because upon saving, it would freeze for about 1 minute and the save file itself would go missing. After googling i found a fix:

Eventually, i noticed that drive E (the storage space) would peg at 100% IO during the freeze and my physical hard drives would go completely silent. Put 2 & 2 together, instructed steam to move the game to my C drive (side not, THANKS STEAM FOR THAT FEATURE), and was able to play the next 40 days of the game without a single crash.

So after moving the game to C everything seemed to be ok, until i tried to copy something to D (previous game location). The operation would freeze and nothing happened (i left it for like 1,5 hrs).

My attempts to fix it were:

• chkdsk - according to the program everything is ok
  • format - quick format succeeded, normal one gets stuck at 1%
  • deleting and recreating partiton - no changes
  • checked S.M.A.R.T in Samsung Magician - everything seems to be fine

So is it dead? Did the game kill my ssd or is it just a big coincidence? Can anything be done to fix it?

CrystalDiskInfo and Hard Disk Sentinel to start! In order to check health. Although what you experienced is not uncommon for a dying drive.

Looks like SSD might be dying (not dead, since your system can still see the SSD). If it still has warranty, claim it.

Anyway, conventional method (such as chkdsk) may not work well in SSD, due to the fact that SSD has a controller to control the storage chip rather than allow Windows to low level control the storage. However, you might want to run this command to fully check the disk:

chkdsk /f /r

The above command will tell the chkdsk to check and recover any bad sectors, including the empty space.

Anyway, To format, I would suggest you to low level format (disable the quick format checkbox).

I have ASD (Autism Spectrum Disorder). More info: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Autism_spectrum

I apologies if my comments or post offends you in any way, or if my rage got a little too far. I'll try my best to make my post as non-offensive as much as possible.