That is better 2 dual rank dimm's or 4 single rank.

I want to add more RAM, what is better for FX8320 to have 4 single rank dimm, or 2 dual rank both in dual channel.

NB frequency is OC to 1600, memory clock is 1800 in both cases, 16 gb is that's important.

Currently i have stutters in most games and as far as I know it's RAM issue (fx works best at 1800 dual rank or 2400 single). So in case of ram performance that should I prefer? 

EDIT:   

I'm talking about RANK of memory not channels.

Single-rank-vs-dual-rank-memory.jpg

4 ram slots can still work in dual channel.

QUOTE ME IN A REPLY SO I CAN SEE THE NOTIFICATION!

When there is no danger of failure there is no pleasure in success.

5 minutes ago, HomidWay said:

I want to add more RAM, what is better for FX8320 to have 4 single rank dimm, or 2 dual rank

Just to add a bit to what @Samfisher there said: the number of DIMM-slots doesn't have anything to do with whether you're running dual-channel or not. The number of channels is about how many channels the memory-controller has and how many of them it can utilize in parallel, not how many DIMM-slots you have. Indeed, you can still be running dual-channel even with 4 sticks of RAM.

Hand, n. A singular instrument worn at the end of the human arm and commonly thrust into somebody’s pocket.

Are you sure whatever you have now doesn't work cuz of RAM? How high is your RAM usage? Dual channel should be better 4 sure...Your CPU supports it, and I am sure motherboard should too...

dualRAM.jpg

3 minutes ago, Samfisher said:

4 ram slots can still work in dual channel.

I know, i'm not talking about CHANNELS, i'm talking about RANKS. 

I never owned that CPU family but on more modern systems, in general a given number of rank per channel seems to be have identically. It's not the rank of the individual module that matters, but the total rank per channel.

e.g. 1 dual rank module per channel performs the same as 2 single rank modules per channel, assuming all other parameters are the same.

In theory there could be a difference because the rank and 2DPC timings are separate and thus may differ, but in practice it seems to be the same.

Gaming system: R7 7800X3D, Asus ROG Strix B650E-F Gaming Wifi, Thermalright Phantom Spirit 120 SE ARGB, Corsair Vengeance 2x 32GB 6000C30, RTX 4070, MSI MPG A850G, Fractal Design North, Samsung 990 Pro 2TB, Acer Predator XB241YU 24" 1440p 144Hz G-Sync + HP LP2475w 24" 1200p 60Hz wide gamut
Productivity system: i9-7980XE, Asus X299 TUF mark 2, Noctua D15, 64GB ram (mixed), RTX 3070, NZXT E850, GameMax Abyss, Samsung 980 Pro 2TB, random 1080p + 720p displays.
Gaming laptop: Lenovo Legion 5, 5800H, RTX 3070, Kingston DDR4 3200C22 2x16GB 2Rx8, Kingston Fury Renegade 1TB + Crucial P1 1TB SSD, 165 Hz IPS 1080p G-Sync Compatible

3 minutes ago, porina said:

I never owned that CPU family but on more modern systems, in general a given number of rank per channel seems to be have identically. It's not the rank of the individual module that matters, but the total rank per channel.

e.g. 1 dual rank module per channel performs the same as 2 single rank modules per channel.

In theory there could be a difference because the rank and 2DPC timings are separate and thus may differ, but in practice it seems to be the same.

Hope it's so, then i'll just add 2 dimms to current setup, and see how it will perform

if the cpu supports 4 channel...then go with 4 sticks...if it supports 2 channel...then do what ever is cheapest...make sense?