"Random" computer Crashes

Justinvdw12
Go to solution Solved by Justinvdw12,

Hi everyone,

i bought a new 500w power supply from Be Quiet! This seems to have solved the issue,

Thanks to you all for the replies.

J

Hello everyone!

before you read this post i would like to apologise because english is not my first language.

I have a problem with my pc, for some reason my pc keeps crashing and rebooting. Before re-installing windows i'd like to ask you guys for any help before i need to download everything again.

While writing this post my system crashed 2 times but luckily this site is awesome and it saved it for me.

I build this system myself 3-4 years ago and i upgraded to a new gpu about 1.5 years ago and i upgraded to a new cpu, motherboard and case about 7 months ago.

The crash happens at random it does not matter what i am doing at the time, i can be using photoshop, watching a youtube video or playing a game it does not seem to matter

The computer just gives a black screen and starts itself again it does a reboot but without the windows reboot screen and warnings.

Sometimes it just freezes too and i need to manualy reboot it

Im running Windows 10 64 Bits with this hardware:

all components are at stock speeds and have not been modified execept the case.

AMD Ryzen 7 2700

Stock AMD Cooler

Gigabyte B450 I AORUS PRO WIFI Mini ITX AM4 Motherboard

Crucial 16Gb 2133 DDR4 (No heatsink just bare green pcb)

Hitachi 1TB HDD (not sure about speeds because its 4 years old now)

Kingston 125gb ssd x2 ( not sure about the type)

MSI Armor RX 580 8G

550W Power supply (Not sure about the brand too because well its 4 years old and i got it from a friend at the time it was brand new)

NZXT H200 + 2 case fans

I think the problem is with the PSU but i am not sure about that.

I did not have this problem until about 3 weeks ago, i did not make any upgrades to the system or even touched it in that 3 weeks at all

i hope someone can help me out with this.

Thank you

- Justin

Are there any log files present in your Minidump folder? The default location is usually C:\Windows\Minidump. You can look up online for how to view that, but you can also use the Event Viewer that comes with Windows. Could you paste the error from that here?

There are several tools you can use to check your disc integrity, i.e.:

sfc /scannow

To scan for damage:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /CheckHealth

To perform a more comprehensive scan:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /ScanHealth

To restore damages:

DISM /Online /Cleanup-Image /RestoreHealth

If none of the scans show damages, I would say try finding the errors from the Event Viewer or your dump file. If the dump file from crashing doesn't exist, you can try searching for C:/Windows/MEMORY.dmp, which is the full memory dump and looking up how to make use of that. Else, you can try testing for memory or CPU issues with Prime95 or use Window's chkdsk tool.

On C drive:

chkdsk c:

Perform full scan and repair pass:

chkdsk c: /f /r /x

There's also memtest86, which you can look up how to make a boot drive to test your memory. Else, if you have any spare parts, I would try replacing them to see if you have a hardware failure somewhere.

Hi there, Thanks for your reply.

i did not find any files in that folder

i tried everything you said i am currently waiting for a crash again

Thanks for your help

Hi!

Before you do anything else, see if the bios what the power supply rails are actually giving you.

Most probably it is the PSU, these go bad gradually and once they cannot supply enough juice, the machine would crash/reboot randomly.

On 1/27/2020 at 8:10 PM, The_Geek said:

Hi!

Before you do anything else, see if the bios what the power supply rails are actually giving you.

Most probably it is the PSU, these go bad gradually and once they cannot supply enough juice, the machine would crash/reboot randomly.

All the rails seem to be correct. My computer still crashes and nothing has worked so far

if anyone else has suggestions i'd love to head it

Thanks

If you have or can get another power supply that you know is good, and use it with your system for a while, that's a good way to check the PSU. Or you can get a PSU-Tester that plugs directly into the PSU and (sometimes) tells you if it's failed. I've seen similar symptoms from RAM issues, so you could also try re-seating the RAM, or running some kind of RAM check utility to see if it's bad. Or just take one of the RAM sticks out (if you have more than 1) and see if the restarts still happen. Then try it with the other RAM stick. 

On 1/24/2020 at 2:08 PM, Justinvdw12 said:

The computer just gives a black screen and starts itself again it does a reboot but without the windows reboot screen and warnings.

Sometimes it just freezes too and i need to manualy reboot it

This sounds to me as if Windows is trying (and failing) to reset the GPU driver. Maybe try a reinstall of your GPU driver. It might also be your PSU. I have a Ryzen 3600X and a GTX 770 (i know, will upgrade soon :)) paired with a 500W 80+ Bronze PSU. I can't overclock my CPU even a little bit, the PSU simply can't supply enough power for that. You might be experiencing something similar. The CPU tries to boost when you start an intensive workload, the PSU can't deliver the required power and all hell breaks loose.

Hi all,

I recently reset my windows 10 and wiped everything. My computer still crashes so it must be a hardware issue.

I will be ordering a new PSU with a higher wattage of amazon today. ( now i can finally get rid of those ugly red-yellow cables :D )

the estimated power draw of my system is at around 326watts (pcpartpicker) so do i really need more than 550w? 

Thanks for all the replies and i will keep this thread updated.

EDIT: could this also be a ram issue? my ram is slow at 2133MHz (no overclock)

Hi everyone,

i bought a new 500w power supply from Be Quiet! This seems to have solved the issue,

Thanks to you all for the replies.

J