XMP not working correctly on new board, or is it..?

Car712
Go to solution Solved by Car712,

Some solutions for anyone looking:

XMP: Literally, and this is not a joke, if your RAM is in slots 1 and 3, move it to slots 2 and 4, it will work fine at its rated speed there. (3000 worked like a charm for me after this fix)

RGB: https://github.com/ixjf/MSIRGB (Yeah, MSI was just lazy...)

Fan speed: Just manually set it!

Hi, so I recently upgraded to a MSI x470 Gaming Plus board, and I’m having a slight issue, when I attempt to set my “DRAM Frequency” to 3000 (the rated speed of my RAM, Corsair Vengeance LPX 16gb 2x8), the the board just reboots a bunch of times until it eventually gets a POST screen again, looking at the BIOS, It does show 3000 under “Adjusted DRAM frequency”, does this mean the memory is set correctly or not? On every single other board I had, it ran perfectly fine at 3000, and could even overclock to 3200, why does it reboot a ton of times on this new board?

They are in the correct slots for dual channel, 1 and 3.

Also, why does the fan speed seem to be connected to the RAM speed?

Try downloading CPU-z or really any HW info programs and check what it says for RAM. My motherboard always states my RAM is running at "2933MHz" but if the overclock ever fails to post, it reverts to 2400MHz but still displays "2933MHz" in BIOS :P 

Looking at my signature are we now? Well too bad there's nothing here...

What? As I said, there seriously is nothing here :) 

11 minutes ago, Mr.Meerkat said:

Try downloading CPU-z or really any HW info programs and check what it says for RAM. My motherboard always states my RAM is running at "2933MHz" but if the overclock ever fails to post, it reverts to 2400MHz but still displays "2933MHz" in BIOS :P 

Welp, all I can say is, OOF.. (This cant actually be correct, right? Thats like ddr2 speeds...)

Screenshot (1).png

Whoops! I was looking at the wrong screen xD, looks like it got booted back to 2133. Anyways after that, I tried other speeds, and realized 2800 is the most I can do.... What in the world! How come I was able to do 3200 on other boards, but only 2800 now!??

And good god, how do I fix this jet engine fan when I have it over 2750 or whatever it says..?

aand I just found out I cant even do rainbow RGB like on any other board, what an absolute joke (YET their website shows the board doing just this!)..

Some solutions for anyone looking:

XMP: Literally, and this is not a joke, if your RAM is in slots 1 and 3, move it to slots 2 and 4, it will work fine at its rated speed there. (3000 worked like a charm for me after this fix)

RGB: https://github.com/ixjf/MSIRGB (Yeah, MSI was just lazy...)

Fan speed: Just manually set it!