WH1000XM3 wired powered on vs wireless sound quality.

RekiChan

Hello, audio noob here, is there any different between wireless and wired powered on mode of wh1000xm3?
I know that it sounds terrible using wired mode with the power off because the headphone has DSP that modify the sound to sounds right.

I has a Topping D50 that I uses to connect to the headphone via RCA to 3.5mm wire. Will the analog signal bypass the built-in DAC and be processed by the DSP directly or will it be converted to digital signal to be processed by DSP and then by the DAC back to analog signal?

Is there any different in sound produced by wired vs wireless mode? 
Because I mainly use the headphone for spotify, youtube, and gaming, I need to consider whether the improvement (if there is) of sound quality of wired mode will worth sacrificing the convenience of wireless mode.

Thanks.

Well, I own a Beyerdynamic Amiron wireless and Marshall MID and there are no differences between wired and wireless. Maybe aptxHD but most of the content I listen are not aptxHD. But how do you know it sounds terrible using wired mode with the power off? Tried it or people told you that? Because my Marshall MID battery hasn't been charged for like half year and it still sounds good and the same.

DAC/AMPs:

Klipsch Heritage Headphone Amplifier

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

13 hours ago, CTR640 said:

Well, I own a Beyerdynamic Amiron wireless and Marshall MID and there are no differences between wired and wireless. Maybe aptxHD but most of the content I listen are not aptxHD. But how do you know it sounds terrible using wired mode with the power off? Tried it or people told you that? Because my Marshall MID battery hasn't been charged for like half year and it still sounds good and the same.

Yes I tried it. I had it. From searching online it seem most people said that it was because of the DSP chip that corrects the sounds, I don't even know why is this a thing. 

8 hours ago, RekiChan said:

Yes I tried it. I had it. From searching online it seem most people said that it was because of the DSP chip that corrects the sounds, I don't even know why is this a thing. 

Oh I see. Why would Sony and other business even do that?? I wouldn't know that either. It caught my attention now, I tested the Sony headphone in a physical store and when it was wireless, the sound was nice but I couldn´t test it wired. After a few metres I saw it without any cable so I used my aux-cable, using my mp3 player and the sound was horrible, couldn't believe a €299 headphone has a horrible sound when using it wired. I thought it may be the 1000XM2 as it looks too much like the XM3 but now reading your experience, it must have been the XM3. Only get it if you're gonna use it only for wireless, if not then definitely looking for other headphones.

DAC/AMPs:

Headphones: Klipsch Heritage HP-3 Walnut, Meze 109 Pro, Beyerdynamic Amiron Home, Amiron Wireless Copper, Tygr 300R, DT880 600ohm Manufaktur, T90, Fidelio X2HR

CPU: Intel 4770, GPU: Asus RTX3080 TUF Gaming OC, Mobo: MSI Z87-G45, RAM: DDR3 16GB G.Skill, PC Case: Fractal Design R4 Black non-iglass, Monitor: BenQ GW2280

• 2 months later...
On 1/16/2020 at 11:26 PM, RekiChan said:

Totally agree. I compared Beyerdynamic Lagoon and Sony WH 1000XM3 and realized that while wireless Sony is fine wired is awful! 

3 minutes ago, TrystanW said:

Totally agree. I compared Beyerdynamic Lagoon and Sony WH 1000XM3 and realized that while wireless Sony is fine wired is awful! 

Totally agree. I once tried it in a store as I wanted to buy one. So I got my mp3-player to try the WHXM3 wired and holy shit, my ears in pain! I thought it was my crappy mp3-player but that would make no fucking sense at all! Like really not at all when my Beyerdynamic Amiron Wireless sounds very good both wired and wireless. And my Marshall MID ANC sounds the same both wired and wireless mode.

DSP chip to "correct the sound" Well, it corrected my wallet and it saved me from flushing down €299.

DAC/AMPs: